General Discussion Race Reports! » Chinatown YMCA Chinese New Year Run Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Chinatown YMCA Chinese New Year Run - Run10k

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
San Francisco, California
United States
YMCA of San Francisco - Chinatown YMCA
48F / 9C
Overcast
Total Time = 42m 18s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = F 18 and over
Age Group Rank = 2/
Pre-race routine:

oatmeal and tea at about 2 hours pre race

Event warmup:

jogged about 15 minutes with some strides
Run
  • 42m 18s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 06m 49s  min/mile
Comments:

Not sure why I have never done this race, it is such a great course and held such amazing memories for me. We ran right by my Auntie's restaurant that I spent so many family meals and parties at and where I had my first job working in the food industry pushing the dim sum cart!

I started about 3 people deep, knowing I wanted to get off to a nice hard start. Saw just one woman in front of me that I knew was doing about 6 min/miles so knew she was gone. I was determined not to look at my Garmin for any of the race and it was a great decision, because if I had seen 6:45's it would have scared me...As it was I pretty much kept that hard effort the whole way even up the nice hill from Kearny to Grant after the 5k peeps turned off to finish. Yikes, no wonder so many people did the 5k instead of the 10k! They get to avoid that hill!

I felt surprisingly strong on the second loop especially after the nice steep downhill on Stockton street towards Bay street. I kept my strides a bit smaller the second time down and it affected my quads a lot less than the first time. It was right about here at the 4 mile mark that I started to pick it up a little bit, I figure I can do anything for 15 minutes, so go hard to the finish. The last half mile includes another small uphill and I was conscious of passing 3 guys on this hill that I was positive were doing the 10k as I had been following them pretty much after we split off for the second loop. Kind of crazy because there were a lot of walkers at this point finishing the 5k so there was a bit of weaving in and calling on the left. The right turn onto Kearny Street felt amazing, I still had a good kick left, looked up and saw 42:xx ticking and couldn't believe it! I was pretty sure I couldn't do it on this course after the first loop, but I guess the downhills make up for the uphills on a looped course!

I was psyched because I knew for a fact that no women had passed me throughout the entire race so was pretty sure I'd get a podium. I almost had a mini heart attack when they announced that number 2 had a time of 43:09. Could the other woman have been doing the 5k? I never did see her, but she was so far ahead of me. Then they skipped me and called her up for first place. How disappointing! I went up and talked to the race organizer afterwards and they straightened things out. Apparently, I was somehow grouped with the men's due to mixing up my first and last names. Kind of disappointing as I have never actually done so well in a running race to podium overall, so I missed my chance for the big stage. Luckily it all got worked out.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing at all, the strategy on this race was full throttle for the whole 10k, and then some extra if I had it at the end. If I wasn't in the middle of marathon training, I might not have the conditioning for it, but we've been doing lots of work in zone 4 for the past few months.
Post race
What limited your ability to perform faster:

Hills? I haven't started hill training yet, so maybe I'll get a bit stronger on hills once we start adding hills.

Event comments:

Great race course with a fun atmosphere. Kind of old fashioned timing method where one person is sitting with a stop watch and calling out numbers and times, not the best when there are 1500 runners, and two different races going on, and a confusing finish area where some 5k people go down the wrong chute! But it's all good, I had tons of fun.

Last updated: 2011-02-14 12:00 AM
Running
00:42:18 | 06.21 miles | 06m 49s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
average HR 159 Max 169
Course: A two loop course circling that had a few nice hills (up and down). A nice stretch out along the embarcadero and then back through Chinatown.
Keeping cool Good Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2011-02-14 7:45 PM

User image

Elite
san francisco
Subject: Chinatown YMCA Chinese New Year Run

2011-02-14 8:42 PM
in reply to: #3355192

User image

Champion
Verona WI--Ironman Bike Country!
Subject: RE: Chinatown YMCA Chinese New Year Run
What a well executed race!!!!  With those results on those hills, Boston is going to be a great race for you!!!  Wish you would have been able to bask in the limelight, but the swag your getting will hopefully make up for it!!  Onward to Boston.
2011-02-14 8:48 PM
in reply to: #3355192

User image

Master
Subject: RE: Chinatown YMCA Chinese New Year Run
Best part of the RR: Picturing you pushing a dim sum cart!!!

Congratulations Tom Kim. Er, wait, that's not it! Bummer that you didn't get the big podium glory, but you still get the swag, right?!

I'm so proud of, in awe of, impressed by, and inspired by you!! What a way to cap off a killer two weeks. You can do anything, girlfriend!!!!!!!!!!!!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Chinatown YMCA Chinese New Year Run Rss Feed