General Discussion Triathlon Talk » No fun anymore? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2011-02-15 2:30 AM

User image

Veteran
Minnesota
Subject: No fun anymore?
Has anyone had their partner say you are 'no fun anymore' because you don't eat as much crap and have trouble sitting still while watching tv? My partner supports my tri habit and likes to see me happy, but little comments like this tell me that it bothers her too... Tri is kind of a 24 hour pursuit when you are paying attention to nutrition at every meal and workouts every day so it is always going to effect her a little since we live together...

Has anyone else had to negotiate their changing behavior with a parter?

2011-02-15 8:03 AM
in reply to: #3355458

User image

Champion
NOVA - Ironic for an Endurance Athlete
Subject: RE: No fun anymore?
My only behavioral changes due to triathlon are:
1) 10-15 hours of training
2) Tired a lot of the time
3) Irritable on rest days
4) I think about triathlon and talk about triathlon a lot

I still eat the more or less the same foods and I still drink alcohol and I still watch TV and I still vegetate. I just eat about 50% more "healthy food" and only eat junk food that is worth the calories.  (Ice cream = yes / Doritos = No).  I also only have two drinks for a "bender".

I don't have any trouble sitting still and napping in front of the TV after an 80 mile bike or a 20 mile run.
2011-02-15 8:37 AM

User image

Veteran
Taylorsville Ut
I haven't gotten that comment directly, but I know that when I am working out and my wife is not, there is some resentment.  It really isn't the time commitment, it is that I am doing something that she knows she should but is not.
2011-02-15 12:32 PM

For me it was the opposite.  My husband is in great shape (runs and lifts weights).  Now that I have lost 40 lbs I can comfortably join him on hikes, snow shoeing, etc without getting winded so quickly.  So now we do more things together than ever.  He is running my first 15k with me this summer.  If it wasn't for the swimmimg portion, he would probably being doing Tr's with me as well.
2011-02-15 12:53 PM

User image

Master
PNW
I've had that problem in the past.  When I first started getting in shape, my husband was annoyed.  Back then, he was fit just by thinking about exercising and I was overweight.  He'd get annoyed that I'd be working out while he was watching TV because he 'missed me'.  He'd be pissed that I didn't want to eat at the local diner or the BBQ place because there was nothing on the menu I could eat.  I'd be ok with going out, but my requirement was that they had at least one healthy option (like a salad or steamed veggies) for me.

It was trying and it required a LOT of communication.  Calm, rational, unheated communication.  He wanted to be supportive, he wanted a slim wife, but he also wanted all the other stuff too.  Compromise was difficult but we made it through.  Getting him some more time consuming hobbies was a big help (he started grad school and that took up a ton of his extra time!).

Now it's easier.  Age has caught up with him and he can't stay slim so easy anymore so we are both eating right and training together all the time.  I can't even tell you how much easier this makes it for me!  It's an entire world of difference!
2011-02-15 4:19 PM
in reply to: #3356355

User image

Champion
, Minnesota
Bronze member

I am really lucky in that my husband totally supports my tri stuff and is my mechanic and race manager   He'll even bug me if I ask him to motivate me to do a workout and he likes to talk strategy before and after a race.  Although I can say that I am not exactly the most dedicated athlete when it comes to food/drink/free time - I guess I am still "fun".  Probably too much fun, but at least I don't expect much when it comes to racing

I have seen this sort of comment around BT a lot and unfortunately it often comes from resentment by the non-triathlete in the relationship.  Too sad. The best thing to do is (gently) get them on the bandwagon!

2011-02-16 5:31 AM
in reply to: #3355687

User image

Veteran
Minnesota
MineralMike - 2011-02-15 8:37 PM I haven't gotten that comment directly, but I know that when I am working out and my wife is not, there is some resentment.  It really isn't the time commitment, it is that I am doing something that she knows she should but is not.

Yeah I think this is where my partner is coming from. Based on the other comments I guess patience is my best option for now.  

2011-02-16 5:51 AM

User image

Veteran
Avon, Indiana
Lucky for me, my wife has an addiction to Zumba.  She is a certified instructor and teaches 4 days a week (X2 on Mondays).  The only complaint I get is the amazingly high cost of entry fees.  Her argument is that she gets paid for doing her classes.  We are both very supportive of each other.  The kids (2 teenage daughters) however, think we are both out of our freaking mind.

Edited by todd.chestnut 2011-02-16 5:51 AM
2011-02-16 1:30 PM

New user
For the getting fit and eating better, I did initially.  I don't think I dealt with it the best, but I said: it isn't fair that she projects her personal frustrations around wanting to do something different (eat better and excercise more) on to me by putting down my changes (exercise, healthy eating, and loosing weight).  I went from almost 260 to 215.  I think I could have said it a little nicer, but it was about her stuff not mine.

As for tris, we have had some discussions early on, and that has been on me not including her in the decission making process.  I now include her in all major financial decissions around tris, scheduling races, and training schedules.  It has been priceless with IM training.
2011-02-16 2:22 PM

User image

Expert
The old saying is "If your marriage is still working out, your not training hard enough"
2011-02-17 3:45 AM
in reply to: #3358496

now that is funny!  i guess i am overtrained!

2011-02-17 4:04 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
TriDiesel - 2011-02-16 2:22 PM The old saying is "If your marriage is still working out, your not training hard enough"

Awesome hahahaha
2011-02-17 7:45 PM

User image

Delaware, OH
I got tiered of the snide comments from my spouse.  So I got divorced.  I'm much happier now.
2011-02-17 9:17 PM
in reply to: #3360879

User image

Champion
, Minnesota
Bronze member

We're laughing about this now, right?   Because I laughed a little when I read this. 

Aysel - 2011-02-17 7:45 PM I got tiered of the snide comments from my spouse.  So I got divorced.  I'm much happier now.

2011-02-18 9:28 AM
in reply to: #3361008

User image

Expert
Tyrone, Georgia
BikerGrrrl - 2011-02-17 10:17 PM

We're laughing about this now, right?   Because I laughed a little when I read this. 

Aysel - 2011-02-17 7:45 PM I got tiered of the snide comments from my spouse.  So I got divorced.  I'm much happier now.

Have to admit it, still laughing now.
2011-02-20 8:12 AM

User image

Delaware, OH
No, seriously that's what it boiled down to...and I'm still laughing about it.  I'm 100% happier without him than I was with him.

I first started working out when he was in Korea for a year with the Army- he came home and WALKED BY ME when he got off the plane.  Didn't even recognize me.  I had worked hard and changed my life when he was gone.  You would think you would be happy for your spouse - but no I think he liked me when I was bigger.

So the snide comments started.  Arguments about buying junk food, McD's waiting for me for 'dinner' when I told him that no, I don't eat that.  He would come with me to the gym and then whine about how long I was taking.  He would buy me ice cream and then guilt me into 'not wasting his money and eat it'.  He would be pi$$ed that I would be home from the gym at 8 or 9 and whine about eating late.  Meanwhile I would be in bed at 10/11pm and he would stay up until 3am.  It was a freaking NIGHTMARE.  I used to fake having jock itch so I wouldn't have to sleep with him.

So yeah, I'm all about finding someone who respects my training (and hopefully is an athlete too!), helps celebrate my accomplishments, and who I don't want to fake having jock itch around.

I spent my 20's putting up with someone else's carp, I'm not going to spend my 30's doing the same thing.

2011-02-20 10:04 AM
in reply to: #3363795

User image

Expert
Tyrone, Georgia
Aysel - 2011-02-20 9:12 AM No, seriously that's what it boiled down to...and I'm still laughing about it.  I'm 100% happier without him than I was with him.

I first started working out when he was in Korea for a year with the Army- he came home and WALKED BY ME when he got off the plane.  Didn't even recognize me.  I had worked hard and changed my life when he was gone.  You would think you would be happy for your spouse - but no I think he liked me when I was bigger.

So the snide comments started.  Arguments about buying junk food, McD's waiting for me for 'dinner' when I told him that no, I don't eat that.  He would come with me to the gym and then whine about how long I was taking.  He would buy me ice cream and then guilt me into 'not wasting his money and eat it'.  He would be pi$$ed that I would be home from the gym at 8 or 9 and whine about eating late.  Meanwhile I would be in bed at 10/11pm and he would stay up until 3am.  It was a freaking NIGHTMARE.  I used to fake having jock itch so I wouldn't have to sleep with him.

So yeah, I'm all about finding someone who respects my training (and hopefully is an athlete too!), helps celebrate my accomplishments, and who I don't want to fake having jock itch around.

I spent my 20's putting up with someone else's carp, I'm not going to spend my 30's doing the same thing.

Congratulations on the life change! 
2011-02-22 6:09 AM

User image

Veteran
Minnesota
Aysel - 2011-02-20 8:12 PM No, seriously that's what it boiled down to...and I'm still laughing about it.  I'm 100% happier without him than I was with him.

Whoa! K way worse than my partner.  Way to take over your own life!  
2011-02-22 10:37 AM

User image

Regular
Aysel - 2011-02-20 8:12 AM No, seriously that's what it boiled down to...and I'm still laughing about it.  I'm 100% happier without him than I was with him.

Way to go!!!  You're amazing and it's great that you're not settling!  You give me hope!   By the way, faking jock itch is one I haven't heard before but I really like it!
2011-02-24 5:37 AM

User image

Veteran
Minnesota
Aaand I guesswe're not the only ones thinking about this, I had no idea: 

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748703439504576116083514534672.html

2011-02-26 10:49 PM

User image

Veteran
The Beautiful San Fernando Valley in Sunny L.A.

TriDiesel - 2011-02-16 12:22 PM The old saying is "If your marriage is still working out, your not training hard enough"

I guess I've been training just the right amount. Thank you, Dr. Triathlon! ;-)

2011-02-27 4:32 PM

User image

Veteran
Sandusky, OH
Ever since I got my hubby to run a marathon with me he has a new appreciation for what I do.
2011-02-28 12:33 PM

User image

Regular
Jacksonville
Aysel - 2011-02-20 9:12 AM No, seriously that's what it boiled down to...and I'm still laughing about it.  I'm 100% happier without him than I was with him.

My mom has a saying: A woman without a man is like a fish without a bicycle.

You go girl!!
2011-03-01 8:11 AM

User image

Veteran
Cincinnati
Talk about a topic near and dear to my heart; All the time I get, "You need to be running/working out more." But when I start going to bed at 9:30 so I can be up at 5:am to accomplish this, it's "Working out is more important to you than I am."

And fat chance of getting her to come with me, so it would be something we could do together.

You just can't win.
2011-03-10 7:26 AM
in reply to: #3375698

User image

Expert
Ghostfacekiller - 2011-02-28 1:33 PM

My mom has a saying: A woman without a man is like a fish without a bicycle.

You go girl!!
I have no idea what this means Embarassed
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » No fun anymore? Rss Feed  

of 2