General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Road Biker planning on first tri this year Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2011-02-15 1:45 PM

Subject: Road Biker planning on first tri this year

I am (nervously) planning to do my first tri this year.  Sprint distance so I think I can survive!  Here's my question for those with more experience:  I am an experienced road cyclist - recreational; no racing - usually logging about 2000 miles in the summer months. We have snow and ice,  so no riding outdoors in the winter here!

I really like my Trek road bike and I use clipless pedals/shoes, but wonder whether I need to think about a tri-specific bike.   I'm thinking not, at least until I figure out whether I really like this sport. 

Thanks for responses.  Looking forward to getting good ideas from this site!

2011-02-15 2:11 PM
in reply to: #3356426

Subject: RE: Road Biker planning on first tri this year
Your road bike is a good choice when starting out in triathlons. Depending on what you want to accomplish in your triathlon adventure that may be all you ever need or want.

For some of us that get hooked on the sport, the "want" feeling is more of a driving force to get a TRI bike then the actual "need".

Good Luck with your first TRI
2011-02-15 2:39 PM

User image

Veteran
Bedford, NH

I was in a similar boat last year and used my road bike for Sprints and Oly's.  After completing a few, I was hooked and decided to get a tri bike this year.  I was even able to be competitive on my road bike.  But you will find that there will be a wide variety of bikes at a tri (hybrids, MT Bikes, road, tri, etc...).  If you have a cycling background, you should have no problem with the bike leg of a sprint distance.  Once you get a few under your belt, you can decide if you want to invest in a tri bike (or make modifications to your road bike like adding aero bars, etc).  Good Luck!

2011-02-15 3:32 PM

Master
For all but the most elite, want >>>> need.

You def don't need a TT bike, even to be competitive enough to win these things outright. Chrissy wellington was killing everyone on a roadbike+aerobars before she got paid to ride a TT bike. The difference between the TT bike vs the roadie+aerobars is miniscule - on the order of 1-2% or less of time savings. 

2011-02-15 4:37 PM

User image

Pro
1.  No- you don't need a tri bike.  If you're a strong cyclist, then you'll feel great passing people on TT bikes.
2.  This is a very dangerous thing that you're doing.  I have great respect for cyclists, but Tri's are a different world, and you cannot do both.  The lifestyle is different, the rules are different.  You will no longer be able to call yourself a cyclist if you take the plunge.  For instance, competing in a triathlon totally violates rule #42
http://www.velominati.com/blog/the-rules/

what will you tell your cyclist friends?
2011-02-28 3:54 PM
in reply to: #3356752

LOL!  I loved the link to velomnati.com.  I had never heard of some of these rules, but I have to say I do agree with many of them.  Many of my biking friends simply look askance when I mention my endeavor to cross over to the dark side......

thanks for the feedback!

2011-03-17 1:05 PM
in reply to: #3356481

deleted

Edited by kbike29 2011-03-17 1:19 PM
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Road Biker planning on first tri this year Rss Feed