Kinane Events
65F / 18C
Overcast
Total Time = 2h 21m 23s
Overall Rank = 7446/13256
Age Group = F 30-34
Age Group Rank = 716/1341
Pre-race routine:

Woke up early, got dressed. Ate a banana, gathered my things and drove to the Hoag Health Center to park and take a shuttle. Plenty of parking when I arrived, got right on the bus.
Event warmup:

Walked around for about 10-15 minutes trying to locate the Snails Pace canopies. Chatted with friends. Walked to the starting corrals.
Run
  • 2h 21m 23s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 10m 47s  min/mile
Comments:

Felt great for the first half. Was keeping pace with 2 friends which made it fun, at just under 10 min/mile pace. It was cool and overcast out but I got pretty warm, so every chance I got I grabbed water from the hydration folks and poured it on myself.

Around mile 7 I started feeling myself slow down, told my friends to go on ahead as I was going to slow my pace down a bit. Around mile 8 I started feeling an annoyance in my left knee, like it needed to pop. It turned from annoying to slightly painful so I stopped to stretch it a few times, as well as take some walk breaks. This continued until the end of the race, and didn't hurt at all afterward. (My sports doc diagnosed it as a slight hamstring strain).

But still, I finished the race, and very close to my goal time (2:20) and since this was my first half, I can always try to improve on the time in my next one. I felt very accomplished and got the surfboard medal I'd been wanting.
What would you do differently?:

Have more experience in the longer distances. Longest race prior to this one was 5 miles a couple of months ago.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around with the rest of the herd past the finish chute and collected my bag of goodies. Stretched. Chatted with friends, got pictures.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Lack of experience in this distance. Slight hamstring strain.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2010-12-21 12:00 AM
Running
02:21:23 | 13.1 miles | 10m 47s  min/mile
Age Group: 716/1341
Overall: 7446/13256
Performance: Average
Course: Paved and mostly flat, with minor elevation changes. Along PCH to Seapoint, then up and around a housing development, back to PCH, to Warner and back to the starting area.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2011-02-18 3:34 PM

User image

Veteran
Orange County, CA
Subject: Surf City Half Marathon

2011-02-23 6:45 AM
in reply to: #3362248

User image

Chula Vista, CA
Subject: RE: Surf City Half Marathon
Congrats on your first half, way to finish! I caught the bus at the Hoag as well...great choice, no crowds and plenty of parking!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Surf City Half Marathon Rss Feed