United States
70F / 21C
Sunny
Total Time = 3h 54m
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Up early and drive-like always. Made a point to get a good breakfast, even if it was a heavy one
Event warmup:

Stretches mostly
Run
  • 3h 54m
  • 13.7 miles
  • 17m 05s  min/mile
Comments:

I think I would have had a better time had I not fell on the ice 2 weeks ago and was a little better trained. My effort seemed fine and I feel like I could have run faster if not for my ankle injury
What would you do differently?:

Not be hurt
Post race
Warm down:

Immediately in the truck t go home while wrapping ice on my ankle

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I injuries and not fully prepared for the course

Event comments:

They put on a good race and have lots of volunteers, the terrain makes having many aid stations difficult. The first was 2.5 miles into the race then another at almost 7, then back to the last one 2.5 to go. There was no way the RD could have had more logical or more frequent spacing. They were also running a marathon and a 50 mile ultra event serviced by the same aid stations
Not pleased with 3:54 but it was a very challenging/technical course, bordering on an adventure race more than a trail run. Advertised as the toughest trail run in Texas.
Aerobically I felt fine (swimming) my ankle ached as usual but I managed to stumble countless times and fall twice. Each time I caught my toe on something, either foot, it would shoot pain up my leg and slow me to a limp for a few seconds to a couple of minutes and this started happening more and more frequently as I got tired. Some of the climbs were real leg burners, reducing runners to more of a climbing, scrambling kind of thing, even a mild little rock face to climb up. I was getting so anxious about my ankle/leg I started walking the very technical sections real carefully. I was very toasted toward the end, my two Gu packets I consumed had abandoned me and I resolved to take a water bottle of my own next time. It was only about 70* but I was hot. I was in a hurry because my wife was there with my truck and needed to leave to go to work, I would have to find a ride home from someone. I barely made it and we jumped in the truck as I iced my ankle and began to feel better.
This race had a 50 mile, marathon, half marathon (13.7 to be exact-no extra charge) and a five mile race. Mimi said she saw lots of runners scraped up and cut.
All in all it was a good event, too bad I couldn't stick around and take in the scene more.
My ankle is feeling better, I have some soreness in my quads that I haven't experienced in a long time from the steep climbs.

Last updated: 2011-01-04 12:00 AM
Running
03:54:00 | 13.7 miles | 17m 05s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance:
Course: Hard course, very technical, steep climbs, treacherous foots on the descents.I fell about 3 times and stumbled countless times aggravating my sprained ankle. Each little stumble caused pain to shoot up my leg. The rock wall near the turn around seemed a little cruel. I knew it would be challenging, it was just harder than I expected
Keeping cool Average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Too hard
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes