General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » IronMan Cozumel : Official Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 9

2011-10-21 8:58 PM
in reply to: #3363922

User image

Toronto, Canada
Subject: RE: IronMan Cozumel : Official Thread

Hello everyone,

Glad to get back to Cozumel for a second time.

Training for a this year's race has been on track, challenging and most of all FUN.

We'll be flying in from Toronto, Canada and staying at the former Wyndham close to the swim start.

Last year the plane had so many triathles flying to the island that a connecting flight from Montreal had half of its bikes stranded in Toronto and had to leave on another flight. (Not fun). "Ladies and gentlemen this is your captain speaking with a brief message that your bike will not be traveling with you today; your bike will join you in the beautiful island of Cozumel later today so feel free to stress out about it during this 4-hour flight and keep chewing on your nails once you land in Mexico not knowing where exactly is your cycling aparatus that you love so much and that you carefully packed last night. Please enjoy your flight"

Lesson to be learned: Don't connect from Montreal if you are racing in Cozumel.

Luckily my bike was indeed traveling with us, never been so happy to see the Canadian flag on my case.

The weather was great, the calm before the storm was nerve wreaking but I knew everything was going to be alright.

Back to Sunday Nov. 28, 2010 the posted time of 12:12 was disappointing but it just made me stronger, smarter and poorer.

SO HERE WE GO AGAIN!

Good luck everyone!

Edited by alexinto 2011-10-21 9:00 PM

2011-10-21 9:26 PM
in reply to: #3733946

User image

Folsom, CA (Sacramento Area)
alexinto - 2011-10-21 6:58 PM

Hello everyone,

Glad to get back to Cozumel for a second time.

Training for a this year's race has been on track, challenging and most of all FUN.

We'll be flying in from Toronto, Canada and staying at the former Wyndham close to the swim start.

Last year the plane had so many triathles flying to the island that a connecting flight from Montreal had half of its bikes stranded in Toronto and had to leave on another flight. (Not fun). "Ladies and gentlemen this is your captain speaking with a brief message that your bike will not be traveling with you today; your bike will join you in the beautiful island of Cozumel later today so feel free to stress out about it during this 4-hour flight and keep chewing on your nails once you land in Mexico not knowing where exactly is your cycling aparatus that you love so much and that you carefully packed last night. Please enjoy your flight"

Lesson to be learned: Don't connect from Montreal if you are racing in Cozumel.

Luckily my bike was indeed traveling with us, never been so happy to see the Canadian flag on my case.

The weather was great, the calm before the storm was nerve wreaking but I knew everything was going to be alright.

Back to Sunday Nov. 28, 2010 the posted time of 12:12 was disappointing but it just made me stronger, smarter and poorer.

SO HERE WE GO AGAIN!

Good luck everyone!

I am glad I am using TriBike transport !! That would be stressfull.

See you there

2011-10-24 8:12 AM

User image

Veteran
In T1 looking for my Schwinn Huffy

Two weeks of peak training left for me! (some of you may be going three more weeks before tapering...I'm going back and forth on that).  Starting to drag my heels a bit at work and the pants are fitting a little too baggy.  I don't think I've taken my compression socks off in three weeks (only to wash them  

Question: anybody know the rules on traveling with C02 cartridges?  I had seen some posts that said you couldn't fly with them, but then saw one that said it was ok if it was in your checked in luggage (i.e. couldn't have it as carry on). 

Hope your training is going well...would love to hear how everyone is doing out there.

2011-10-24 1:06 PM
in reply to: #3730204

User image

New user

San Francisco
Last year I rode with Ksyrium SLs and occasionally would get knocked sideways from the wind.  I got a new tri-bike and it has Cosmic Carbone wheels, I am debating whether to use them or the Ksyriums. A friend who did the training camp with me last year (and the race) decided to switch from 404 on front and 808 on back to just 404s after experiencing the wind during the training camp. 
2011-10-24 1:08 PM
in reply to: #3735529

User image

New user

San Francisco
Last year I fly with two cartridges in my saddle bag.  The inspectors didn't look in the saddle bag when I left the US nor when I arrived in Coz.  Not sure if it is really legal or not.  Have read a number of posts that its a no-no.
2011-10-24 1:37 PM

User image

I was told by a Reputable bike transportation company that took my bike to Hawaii 70.3  (ja ja) ,  "we can't look in your saddle bag so we would not know if you have cartrdges in there" wink wink....since then,  I just leave them there whether I am using their service or I am flying with my own  bike case.   No problems yet, i just check right away if they are still there when I get my bike

2011-10-25 2:43 PM

User image

Veteran
Belize

Anybody else monitoring Hurricane Rina? It's dangerously close to Belize and Yucatan including Cozumel. Let's hope and pray for the safety of our friends in Cozumel and everybody else along the Yucatan Peninsula including Belize. Rina is currently a category 2 hurricane and is expected to become a major hurricane by tonight.

2011-10-26 7:59 AM
in reply to: #3737741

User image

Master
South Florida
David_Zen - 2011-10-25 3:43 PM

Anybody else monitoring Hurricane Rina? It's dangerously close to Belize and Yucatan including Cozumel. Let's hope and pray for the safety of our friends in Cozumel and everybody else along the Yucatan Peninsula including Belize. Rina is currently a category 2 hurricane and is expected to become a major hurricane by tonight.

yup...living in south florida the weather people make sure we monitor, like it or not!

Thinking happy, positive thoughts for my southern commrades!!!  

2011-10-26 12:41 PM

User image

David_Zen - 2011-10-25 12:43 PM

Have some friends in Coz, they're hunkering down for the weekend

2011-10-26 2:05 PM

User image

Regular

Hi everyone! 

Sorry I have been MIA, just got back from vacation, and trying to get back into some sort of regular life here's hoping Rina decides to go off track and our friends in Mexico are safe and sound! 

I just registered to have my bike shipped with TriBike Transport, not too excited about giving it to them on 11/14....but I guess that I will survive.

Training is going well, getting excited now!

2011-10-26 6:06 PM
in reply to: #3739153

User image

Master
South Florida
Lea.kirdatt - 2011-10-26 3:05 PM

Hi everyone! 

Sorry I have been MIA, just got back from vacation, and trying to get back into some sort of regular life here's hoping Rina decides to go off track and our friends in Mexico are safe and sound! 

I just registered to have my bike shipped with TriBike Transport, not too excited about giving it to them on 11/14....but I guess that I will survive.

Wow! I don't drop mine until 11/20!! I guess cuz I'm already almost there it doesn't take as long

2011-10-26 6:31 PM
in reply to: #3739621

User image

Mimir98 - 2011-10-26 4:06 PM

Hi everyone! 

Wow! I don't drop mine until 11/20!! I guess cuz I'm already almost there it doesn't take as long

you are both lucky,  Here in california,  I need to drop mine off on November 11.   Two full weeks with out my bike!!  I have a spare luckily.

2011-10-26 7:47 PM
in reply to: #3739648

User image

Master
South Florida
MrSolis - 2011-10-26 7:31 PM

Hi everyone! 

you are both lucky,  Here in california,  I need to drop mine off on November 11.   Two full weeks with out my bike!!  I have a spare luckily.

WOW!  I think I would just travel with mine if that were the case.  

2011-10-27 8:51 AM
in reply to: #3739706

User image

Veteran
In T1 looking for my Schwinn Huffy

Big training weekend coming up!  What's everyone got planned?  I'm trying to put a day between the long bike and long run so looks like I'm going with following (based on Don Fink plan but with some of workouts moved around):

Friday: Long run (2.45 hours)

Saturday: Swim 1.25 hours; Bike 1.5 hours

Sunday: Bike 5.5 hours, run 1 hour

Also curious: when you is your last peak week?  Fink's plan has next week as the peak week, with 3 week taper after that...little nervous about a three week taper...was thinking of staggering the taper....peaking on run next week (3 hours) then a gradual 3 week taper...peaking on bike the week thereafter (and then a two week taper)...then peaking on swim week after that (then one week taper)...I have a swimming background so am fairly comfortable with a short taper.

What's everybody else thinking?

2011-10-27 10:24 AM
in reply to: #3740208

User image

New user

San Francisco

Looks like we have similar workout this weekend. 

Friday: long run (3 hours)

Sat: 2 hr bike ; 1 hr run (brick)

Sun: 1.25 hr masters swim; 5hr bike; 20 min run

My schedule is a little screwy as I have to go out of the country next week.  I will have two more weeks of big training hours, but my run distance is going to start to decrease after this week.  Have one more 6 hr ride scheduled in two weeks.

Edited by opg 2011-10-27 10:25 AM
2011-10-27 11:08 AM

User image

Veteran
Plant City, Florida
Bronze member
LazyRiver - 2011-10-27 8:51 AM

Big training weekend coming up!  What's everyone got planned?  I'm trying to put a day between the long bike and long run so looks like I'm going with following (based on Don Fink plan but with some of workouts moved around):

Also curious: when you is your last peak week?  Fink's plan has next week as the peak week, with 3 week taper after that...little nervous about a three week taper...was thinking of staggering the taper....peaking on run next week (3 hours) then a gradual 3 week taper...peaking on bike the week thereafter (and then a two week taper)...then peaking on swim week after that (then one week taper)...I have a swimming background so am fairly comfortable with a short taper.

My last big push will be on the 5th (IMFL) - I'm in a simi-taper now. 

2011-10-27 11:56 AM

User image

Master
South Florida
This may sound funny, being that I'm a coach and all...but I've no clue what is left for me! I have a coach (same one I've had since 2006 and coach with)...he gives me my plan and I do it. I don't question, I don't guess. I just do it. Works for me! Saturday I know I have a 5.5 hour bike..maybe a 30' brick run - gotta look! Sunday I think a 3 hour bike and longer run...I usually have a general idea of what I am doing for te week, then take a closer look a day or two before. Feeling stuff come together a bit so excited for next 4 weeks!!
2011-10-27 12:54 PM
in reply to: #3739706

User image

Mimir98 - 2011-10-26 5:47 PM

Hi everyone! 

That was the original plan but I am taking 2 flights each way from here, that would be about $400 with United and TriBike transport was only $325 (I think) and we are staying for a week after the race so I I did not want to deal with the bike. 

2011-10-27 1:16 PM

User image

LazyRiver - 2011-10-27 6:51 AM

Today is Off

Friday long run 14-15 miles Ironman Pace (which is not much since I am a slow runner)

Saturday Long ride ~100 miles ~ 5.5 hrs @ Ironman Pace

Sunday ~40-50 miles above Ironman pace / 2-3 miles run @ ironman pace

Monday   Swim day....Ahhhhhhhh

I have 2 more weeks of heavy training,  I do not like tapering too long....

2011-10-28 1:54 PM
in reply to: #3740834

User image

Regular
MrSolis - 2011-10-27 12:54 PM
Mimir98 - 2011-10-26 5:47 PM

Hi everyone! 

That was the original plan but I am taking 2 flights each way from here, that would be about $400 with United and TriBike transport was only $325 (I think) and we are staying for a week after the race so I I did not want to deal with the bike. 

I had also thought of flying with my bike, but the cost was so much more and I would have to worry about my bike after the race when my husband and I just want to relax on the beach It is worth the $325 to me....and the extra time without my bike

2011-10-28 5:54 PM
in reply to: #3740899

User image

Veteran
Belize

Today was my 3rd rest day this week.

Tomorrow I will attempt my longest bike ride (6hrs).

Sunday will be another rest day

Monday - long run (2.5 hrs)

Tuesday - Swim (1.25 hrs)

2011-10-29 9:22 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
PaaMul QRoo, MX
David_Zen - 2011-10-25 2:43 PM

thankfully Rina was a nonevent.  We had 24 hours of no power and about 6 hours of no water but we had the genset and satellite internet going so we were good.  We're almost totally unpacked again (our kitchen, comedor and sala are all outside) and ready to go.  We lost quite a bit of roof so we'll probably do that again this winter (we have a guano roof).  Really glad we're not cleaning up from a cat 3 though. 

2011-10-29 9:25 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
PaaMul QRoo, MX
LazyRiver - 2011-10-27 8:51 AM

I had to do my saturday 6.75 h ride on Tuesday as we were expecting a hurricane so I'm slacking this weekend with a 2-hour ride today and a 3-hour ride tomorrow.  I think this might be my peak week (using BT plan) but next week will likely be the same (or actually a little more).  I plan to train next week and the week after at about the same level, 9K swim, 11-12 hours bike, 3-4 hours run and then start tapering week 19.

2011-10-29 9:30 PM
in reply to: #3742988

User image

Extreme Veteran
PaaMul QRoo, MX
David_Zen - 2011-10-28 5:54 PM

Today was my 3rd rest day this week.

Tomorrow I will attempt my longest bike ride (6hrs).

Sunday will be another rest day

Monday - long run (2.5 hrs)

Tuesday - Swim (1.25 hrs)

Good luck on your bike (oops - that was today). How was your long bike?  I did my first 6-hour bike 2 weeks ago and my 2nd on Tuesday.  I don't like them very much but they are definitely useful.  I'm not looking forward to the next 2 either.    It is a LONG time on the bike and since I have only 1 road I'm starting to get bored.  Good luck on Monday's run.  My longest has only been 2 hours.  I'm quite scared of the 42k in the Ironman.

2011-10-31 11:43 AM
in reply to: #3743955

User image

Veteran
Belize

Kathy, good to know that Rina was a nonevent. My long bike ride was great.  I ended up doing 112 miles in 5 hrs and 56 mins.

I felt great up until last night when I started coming down with a cold. This morning has been worse with sinus congestion, sneezing and runny nose. Maybe yesterday's swim wasn't a good idea. I was planning my long run for tonight but not sure if I will do it feeling like this.

New Thread
General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » IronMan Cozumel : Official Thread Rss Feed  

of 9