General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » IronMan Cozumel : Official Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 9

2011-11-16 2:14 PM
in reply to: #3363922

User image

Subject: RE: IronMan Cozumel : Official Thread
I'll be volunteering near the finish line ( i think) look forward to seeing you all cross the line!

2011-11-16 6:35 PM
in reply to: #3904506

User image

Master
South Florida

ChrisM - 2011-11-16 3:14 PM I'll be volunteering near the finish line ( i think) look forward to seeing you all cross the line!

Cool!  I'll be the one in the white visor and black tri suit  

2011-11-17 7:40 AM
in reply to: #3904506

User image

Regular
ChrisM - 2011-11-16 2:14 PMI'll be volunteering near the finish line ( i think) look forward to seeing you all cross the line!
Woohoo! I will be wearing a team suit...Triple Threat Tough and a white visor Can't wait to see you there
2011-11-17 11:58 AM

User image

Just passing along some info from a friend that lives there, if you are there on turkey day and want something traditional...

French Quarter - $200 pesos ($16USD +/-)

Reservations required
Seatings at 6pm and 8pm
872-6321

https://www.facebook.com/pages/French-Quarter-Restaurant-Bar-In-CozumelMexico/337070720415?sk=info

Deep Fried Turkey, Mashed potatoes & gravy, stuffing, vegetables, cranberry sauce, pumpkin pie or pecan pie

Also includes one free alcoholic beverage with your meal

Open all day for football and the great cover band Fugga will play upstairs from 9pm to 1am

For those of you that do not know, French Quarter is under new ownership and management - so give it a try while you're here even if not for Thanksgiving!

Live music Wed - Sunday starting next week from 8pm - midnight or 1:00 - no cover!

Rock-N-Java - $18 USDpp

Reservations required
Seatings at 5:30pm, 7:30pm and 9:30pm
872-4405

http://www.rocknjavacozumel.com/barngrillenglish/index.php

Roasted or Fried Turkey; Honey Baked spiced ham; Cornbread stuffing with cranberry, apple & sausage; Green Bean Casserole w/ French Fried Onions; Fresh Herb Garlic Mashed Potatoes; Baked Sweet Potatoes
+ choice of :
pumpkin pie, key lime pie, boston cream cake, carrot cake, apple cobbler

Price also includes all non alcoholic beverages - book early because they do fill up!!!!

Prima - Adult $245 ($20 USD +/-); Child $170 pesos ($14 USD +/-)

Reservations required
872-4242

http://www.primacozumel.com/

Imported Roasted Butterball Turkey, Lumpy Mashed potatoes, Sage Stuffing, Giblet Gravy, Vegetables, Cranberry Sauce

Deserts: (prices in pesos)
Pecan Pie with Fresh Whipped Cream $60
Tiramisu $50
Mom’s Pumpkin Pie with real whipped cream $55
Chocolate Mousse Cake $55

Guidos - Still waiting for pricing, menu and seatings

La Cocay- $320 pesos ($25 USD +/-)

Reservations required
872-5533
http://www.lacocay.com/

Traditional Thanksgiving Dinner Includes: welcome drink, appetizer, turkey and dessert
Appetizer :
• Pumpkin soup with creole lobster
• Napa salad – mixed lettuce with apples, blue cheese and toasted pecans in a honey Dijon dressing
• Fried calamari with a tamarind chipotle sauce
Turkey
Herb roasted turkey breast and leg confit with cider gravy
With
• Mixed dried fruit and nut stuffing
• Cranberry mandarin relish
• Mashed potatoes
• Maple glazed sweet potatoes
• Sauteed green beans
• Citrus glazed carrots
Dessert
• Traditional pies: apple, pecan and pumpkin or pumpkin cheesecake

A la carte
• Napa salad- mixed lettuce with apples, toasted pecans and blue cheese in a honey Dijon dressing $90.
• Creole pumpkin soup with lobster $70.
• Coconut glazed sauteed shrimp with a carambola mango salad in a mandarin vinaigrette $104.
• Fried calamari with a tamarind chipotle sauce $60.
Main courses
• Pan seared 6oz. filet mignon with a red wine demi-glace and mashed potatoes $218.
• Yucca wrapped fish of he day with a creamy leek and confit tomato sauce served with paprika potatoes
• Phyllo globe stuffed with a three mushroom risotto and panela cheese servd with
a romesco sauce $100.
Desserts
• Creme brulee $62.
• ChocolateTorte $98.
• Pumpkin pie $40.
• Apple pie $40.
• Pecan pie $40.
• Pumpkin cheesecake $50.

Kids menu $100.
• Small salad or spaghetti
• Petite turkey dinner
• Choice of desse

2011-11-17 1:39 PM
in reply to: #3905848

User image

Regular
ChrisM - 2011-11-17 11:58 AM

Just passing along some info from a friend that lives there, if you are there on turkey day and want something traditional...

French Quarter - $200 pesos ($16USD +/-)

Reservations required
Seatings at 6pm and 8pm
872-6321

https://www.facebook.com/pages/French-Quarter-Restaurant-Bar-In-CozumelMexico/337070720415?sk=info

Deep Fried Turkey, Mashed potatoes & gravy, stuffing, vegetables, cranberry sauce, pumpkin pie or pecan pie

Also includes one free alcoholic beverage with your meal

Open all day for football and the great cover band Fugga will play upstairs from 9pm to 1am

For those of you that do not know, French Quarter is under new ownership and management - so give it a try while you're here even if not for Thanksgiving!

Live music Wed - Sunday starting next week from 8pm - midnight or 1:00 - no cover!

Rock-N-Java - $18 USDpp

Reservations required
Seatings at 5:30pm, 7:30pm and 9:30pm
872-4405

http://www.rocknjavacozumel.com/barngrillenglish/index.php

Roasted or Fried Turkey; Honey Baked spiced ham; Cornbread stuffing with cranberry, apple & sausage; Green Bean Casserole w/ French Fried Onions; Fresh Herb Garlic Mashed Potatoes; Baked Sweet Potatoes
+ choice of :
pumpkin pie, key lime pie, boston cream cake, carrot cake, apple cobbler

Price also includes all non alcoholic beverages - book early because they do fill up!!!!

Prima - Adult $245 ($20 USD +/-); Child $170 pesos ($14 USD +/-)

Reservations required
872-4242

http://www.primacozumel.com/

Imported Roasted Butterball Turkey, Lumpy Mashed potatoes, Sage Stuffing, Giblet Gravy, Vegetables, Cranberry Sauce

Deserts: (prices in pesos)
Pecan Pie with Fresh Whipped Cream $60
Tiramisu $50
Mom’s Pumpkin Pie with real whipped cream $55
Chocolate Mousse Cake $55

Guidos - Still waiting for pricing, menu and seatings

La Cocay- $320 pesos ($25 USD +/-)

Reservations required
872-5533
http://www.lacocay.com/

Traditional Thanksgiving Dinner Includes: welcome drink, appetizer, turkey and dessert
Appetizer :
• Pumpkin soup with creole lobster
• Napa salad – mixed lettuce with apples, blue cheese and toasted pecans in a honey Dijon dressing
• Fried calamari with a tamarind chipotle sauce
Turkey
Herb roasted turkey breast and leg confit with cider gravy
With
• Mixed dried fruit and nut stuffing
• Cranberry mandarin relish
• Mashed potatoes
• Maple glazed sweet potatoes
• Sauteed green beans
• Citrus glazed carrots
Dessert
• Traditional pies: apple, pecan and pumpkin or pumpkin cheesecake

A la carte
• Napa salad- mixed lettuce with apples, toasted pecans and blue cheese in a honey Dijon dressing $90.
• Creole pumpkin soup with lobster $70.
• Coconut glazed sauteed shrimp with a carambola mango salad in a mandarin vinaigrette $104.
• Fried calamari with a tamarind chipotle sauce $60.
Main courses
• Pan seared 6oz. filet mignon with a red wine demi-glace and mashed potatoes $218.
• Yucca wrapped fish of he day with a creamy leek and confit tomato sauce served with paprika potatoes
• Phyllo globe stuffed with a three mushroom risotto and panela cheese servd with
a romesco sauce $100.
Desserts
• Creme brulee $62.
• ChocolateTorte $98.
• Pumpkin pie $40.
• Apple pie $40.
• Pecan pie $40.
• Pumpkin cheesecake $50.

Kids menu $100.
• Small salad or spaghetti
• Petite turkey dinner
• Choice of desse

WOW! Thanks for the information. My husband and I will have to check it out....that was going to be my one sad thing about flying to Mexico on Thanksgiving....no turkey. 

2011-11-17 3:42 PM

User image

Oooh we get in around noon on Thanksgiving Day, as well. If people are going to do one of the turkey dinners and there is a consensus as to which one, is there interest in meeting up for it? I will have my husband and 2 year-old daughter in tow, of course.

2011-11-17 4:21 PM
in reply to: #3906268

User image

ldavis627 - 2011-11-17 1:42 PM Oooh we get in around noon on Thanksgiving Day, as well. If people are going to do one of the turkey dinners and there is a consensus as to which one, is there interest in meeting up for it? I will have my husband and 2 year-old daughter in tow, of course.

these will probably start booking fast, so I'd recommend a reservation sooner rather than later

2011-11-17 4:26 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
PaaMul QRoo, MX

If you're on the island...

Pancho's Backyard Meet & Greet with the Cozumel Ironman Team "Tri-Kuzam"

Come out and support Cozumel’s local Ironman Team “Tri-Kuzam” at Pancho’s Backyard on Wednesday, November 23rd from 5:30pm – 7:30pm. Meet and greet the Tri-Kuzam team, buy a official team t-shirt and even have it signed by the athletes themselves! This is a great chance to wish our home team good luck before the competition! To celebrate, Pancho’s Backyard will be offering complimentary snacks, and deeply reduced drink prices, including $2 usd wine, beer and soda. Best of all, your drink proceeds go to sponsor “Tri-Kuzam.” The full dinner menu will be available until 11 pm as well. Pancho’s Backyard is located in the courtyard of Los Cinco Soles on waterfront and 8th Street. For more information, check out the facebook page.

Simulated Ironman Road Closings in Effect This Sunday Morning

With the November 27th Ironman rapidly approaching, last Sunday Morning officers of the Public Security and Transit carried out simulated street closings in preparation for the upcoming competition.   The drill started at 9 am and lasted only one hour.  This was the first of two simulations, with the remanding o tanking place on the 20th of November at the same time.  On the actual date of the Ironman street closings will start at 5:30 am and end at 5:30 pm.   Included is Av. Rafael. E  Melgar from North to South , Av. 11 to Av. 135, the highway from 135 to Mezcalito’s and the transversal highway from Av. 11, followed by Av. 13 and Av. 15 and from Av. 10 to  Rafael E. Melgar. For more information on the road closures, check out the official Ironman road closings

2011-11-18 3:04 PM
in reply to: #3906332

User image

Veteran
Omaha, NE

Kathy,

Perhaps you can answer this as I want to do IMCOZ eventually, maybe 2 years, it's just a slight detail, but something I have wondered. I have been to COZ probably 6 times now, and the inlaws have been maybe 20 times. We always stay at the Melia which is close to the run turn around.

I have always wondered how I would get back to the hotel after the race, or how the family could get downtown etc during the race, I thought the whole road to the Melia was closed, but it looks like they just close one lane, and leave the other one open from what you posted. Is this true? I know it's a small logistical detail, but one that I've wondered about ever since I found out about IMCOZ.

Good luck in a few weeks

2011-11-18 3:11 PM
in reply to: #3907625

User image

Master
Cumming, Georgia
cstoulil - 2011-11-18 4:04 PM

Kathy,

Perhaps you can answer this as I want to do IMCOZ eventually, maybe 2 years, it's just a slight detail, but something I have wondered. I have been to COZ probably 6 times now, and the inlaws have been maybe 20 times. We always stay at the Melia which is close to the run turn around.

I have always wondered how I would get back to the hotel after the race, or how the family could get downtown etc during the race, I thought the whole road to the Melia was closed, but it looks like they just close one lane, and leave the other one open from what you posted. Is this true? I know it's a small logistical detail, but one that I've wondered about ever since I found out about IMCOZ.

Good luck in a few weeks

I did it last year and we stayed in Melia and they had cabs available. I had no issues getting back.  Great race and I'll probably go back in 2013 and do it again.

2011-11-19 6:05 PM

User image

Peachtree City
Anyone have an idea if there is a decent wine selection on the island? 

2011-11-21 7:33 AM

User image

Regular
Hope everyone is feeling great this week! My stuff is all laid out ready to go to Mexico. I hope everyone has safe/easy travels and hope to see some of you out there See you soon!
2011-11-21 8:58 AM

User image

Veteran
In T1 looking for my Schwinn Huffy
How is everyone dealing with the CO2 cartridge issue?  Are you buying them down at the Expo?  I have a handpump that attacheds to my bike but would obviously rather use a CO2 inflator.
2011-11-21 9:43 AM

User image

Folsom, CA (Sacramento Area)
I shipped mine on my bike.  If they get confiscated, I will be buying tem there as soon as I get there.  Right now,  I am still sick and have not trainined at all since 8 days ago
2011-11-21 1:05 PM

User image

Veteran
West Palm Beach
I just want to wish everyone an awesome race! I did Coz last year and it was amazing :-) I will be back for more! Enjoy the swim in crystal clear warm waters, enjoy the breeze ( well, wind)... The run with everyone cheering you! Oh I am jealous!!Can't wait to read the race reports!Alicia
2011-11-21 2:05 PM
in reply to: #3909680

User image

Extreme Veteran
PaaMul QRoo, MX

OMG IT IS ONE MORE WEEK!!!  OMG (does the chicken with the head cut off dance)!!!

Today is a holiday (viva la Revolucion!!!  (wish we'd get some up in arms now about the current situation...)) and the kids and hubby are off to CUN to pick up Aunty muling down a SHEETLOAD of biking stuff and Perpetuem, etc. 

OMG IT IS ONE MORE WEEK!!!!! 

who else is eating the contents of the fridge only to realize today's workout is only 30 min versus 2 hours and looking at the belly and wondering where that food is going to go? 

OMG IT IS ONE MORE WEEK!!!

2011-11-21 2:43 PM
in reply to: #3910397

User image

Veteran
Belize

I'm trying not to get too excited.

Kathy, do you know what the rates are for the vehicle ferry?

2011-11-21 2:59 PM
in reply to: #3910397

User image

Veteran
kathy caribe - 2011-11-21 2:05 PM

OMG IT IS ONE MORE WEEK!!!  OMG (does the chicken with the head cut off dance)!!!

Today is a holiday (viva la Revolucion!!!  (wish we'd get some up in arms now about the current situation...)) and the kids and hubby are off to CUN to pick up Aunty muling down a SHEETLOAD of biking stuff and Perpetuem, etc. 

who else is eating the contents of the fridge only to realize today's workout is only 30 min versus 2 hours and looking at the belly and wondering where that food is going to go? 

Wait a minute....I thought I had TWO more weeks!  We're flying down to Playacar tomorrow....staying there for a few days and then taking ferry over for the weekend in Cozumel.   Kids are pumped, wife is happy it's almost over   My bike is somewhere over the Gulf of Mexico as we speak.  See you all soon!!!

2011-11-22 12:10 AM

User image

Toronto, Canada

TOP-TEN GREAT THINGS TO EXPECT IN COZUMEL… and a few bad ones too.

10 – THE SWIM – Most enjoyable swim ever with lots of room to move. Being the course a 1-loop affair, it eliminates the slow swimmers backlog. Make sure you visit and swim in Chankanab park a couple of days prior to the race.

The bad – First corner could be tight. Expect delays.

9 – THE TRIATHLON CHAT – I never chat after the swim and onto the bike but the first few kilometers on the bike most competitors (I guess) are just happy to be racing in paradise. Triathlon is indeed a cool family.

The bad – You will have the wind in your face for the first 10 Km into the race.  Save energy and stay low… very low.

8 – SWEET BREEZE – Five minutes on the bike your helmet will start copiously dripping something onto your face. Not to worry, you are not losing your hydration that fast. The air is so moist and you are going at 30km/hr therefore, condensation will give you this “free” refreshment.

7 – DRAFTING – Absolutely nothing good about drafting. Drafting is detrimental to the race itself and I have no idea why people would draft. This particular event and its flat terrain produce the drafting effect since you have to motor your way through 180km. Very simple, you stop pedaling and you stop moving. Here is the scenario; as people see an opening, they pedal past you and as soon as they have passed you they cut you off because they are out of steam. This forces you to either slow down or draft off them. It happened a lot last year and it was very frustrating to drop speed several times during the race.

If you care for the integrity of your race time and fair-play please use my “photography 4-minute penalty”. Here is how it works: When you receive the official race pictures and you see yourself “caught in the act” of drafting, simply add 4 minutes to your final race time every time you got
caught.

6 – EL GAVILAN – it is a huge hawk-like bird dressed in black feathers and a bright red face. Gliding 5 feet over the highway and stoically facing the ocean, he does not move forward or backwards. Just there steady and weightless. It is just there waiting for impact. I should name this massive bird “plucky”. You are fast approaching and just as you think you are going to collide with it and face charges for attempting to destroy Mexican wildlife and go to jail… it flicks a feather of his tail and it rises 20 feet up in the air in half a second without even flapping his wings. Just say thank you as you swoosh pass his spot.

The bad – The Gavilan will do this to you three times in one day.

5 – THE WIND ON YOUR BACK – It will be there waiting for you right after the aid station at km 40. Right after the cool kids of Cozumel have handed you an almost frozen lime Gatorade the wind will propel you at 40km/h for 10 glorious Km. Make yourself big and sail away. You deserve it.

The bad – You will enter town in a rush. The crowds will prompt you to keep pedaling. Save the legs. You will need them for another 130 km.

4 – THE CROWD – No words to describe the Cozumel crowd. I will let you soak on this experience on your own terms.

3 – LAPPED BY THE PROS – Nothing good about this.

The bad - There is no greater fear than being lapped by the Pros. Why on earth do they get a 20 minute start ahead of us?? Like we are going to catch them on the swim…

These guys finish the swim in 45 minutes and then race on their bikes at an average of 46km/hr. You will be safe if you leave town for the second time and they have not lapped you. A good reason to smile at Km 126. TAKE THAT PRO’S!!

2 – THE RUN - Most enjoyable run ever with lots of room to move. Expect delays once you start hurting, cramping, hurting, crying and hurting. Look out for the nicest and most cheerful lady at km 12 on your way back downtown. She will be sitting on a foldable chair to your left. She says the funniest things and cheers everybody with gusto but she will never repeat the same phrase. She kinda makes you feel bad if you suck (in a good way of course) I just love her.

1 – AND THE NUMBER ONE THING OF THE ENTIRE RACE IS:

You know what it is… Just win baby!

2011-11-22 8:39 AM

User image

Veteran
That's awesome...thanks, Alex.  Had never heard about that bird so will be on the lookout.  I'm flying down tonite with a nice 3 1/2 hour layover in Mexico City.  See everyone down there!
2011-11-23 10:42 AM
in reply to: #3910445

User image

Extreme Veteran
PaaMul QRoo, MX
David_Zen - 2011-11-21 2:43 PM

I'm trying not to get too excited.

Kathy, do you know what the rates are for the vehicle ferry?

depends on the size.  transcaribe is the company - let me find the website...http://www.transcaribe.net/

ehículo familiar (automóvil con factura)N/A6.00$683*
3Pick Up, Van, Estaquitas Comerciales (De Carga)1 TON6.00

$1,068

so minivan, pickup, etc. are $1068 each way and other cars are $683.

Man, we're sandwiched between promociones.  El Buen Fin had a $300 pesos promotion and another starts in December.  Big cars excluded though. 

times are Friday, Sat and Sun, Calica to Cozumel.  you know where the ferry is, correct?  Make sure to stop in Felipe Carillo Puerto for eats on the way - they have some of hte best carnitas and food there!  AFter you hit Tulum, you're 45 km from us, and we're about 5 km from the ferry.  It is marked TRANSPORTADOR and it is before Xcaret.  This time of the year you shouldn't need a huge wait to get on as they're not running promociones nor is it vacation time.

J
04:00
08:00
13:30
18:00
V
18:00
S
18:0

2011-11-23 10:44 AM
in reply to: #3910489

User image

Extreme Veteran
PaaMul QRoo, MX
LazyRiver - 2011-11-21 2:59 PM
kathy caribe - 2011-11-21 2:05 PM

Wait a minute....I thought I had TWO more weeks!  We're flying down to Playacar tomorrow....staying there for a few days and then taking ferry over for the weekend in Cozumel.   Kids are pumped, wife is happy it's almost over   My bike is somewhere over the Gulf of Mexico as we speak.  See you all soon!!!

wow.  you're there already - enjoy the island.  I can't decide when to go over - girls have horse riding Friday afternoon and I would hate to have them miss that and 17yo has SEP exams this week. yikes.

2011-11-23 11:04 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
PaaMul QRoo, MX

Just now from our side.

Edited by kathy caribe 2011-11-23 11:04 AM

(IMG_8647.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
IMG_8647.JPG (92KB - 41 downloads)
2011-11-23 4:03 PM
in reply to: #3913236

User image

Veteran
Belize
Subject: Not going to Cozumel

I'm not going.

Kathy, the water looks quite tempting. Very beautiful. I was really looking forward to that 2.4 mile swim on Sunday and also becoming the first person from my country to become an Ironman. Thanks for the travel info too. Unfortunately, I had to make a big decision last night to forgo Ironman Cozumel this year. I am pretty sure that Ironman Cozumel was going to be the craziest thing I have ever done but had I not decide to pull out last night it might have also been the most irresponsible thing I have ever done. I just don't think I will enjoy doing my first Ironman with a cloud of regret hanging over my head. I believe I made the best decision.

Anyway, I wish you all safe travels and best of luck on Sunday.

Edited by David_Zen 2011-11-23 4:14 PM
2011-11-23 4:21 PM
in reply to: #3913536

User image

Regular
Subject: RE: Not going to Cozumel
David_Zen - 2011-11-23 4:03 PM

I'm not going.

Kathy, the water looks quite tempting. Very beautiful. I was really looking forward to that 2.4 mile swim on Sunday and also becoming the first person from my country to become an Ironman. Thanks for the travel info too. Unfortunately, I had to make a big decision last night to forgo Ironman Cozumel this year. I am pretty sure that Ironman Cozumel was going to be the craziest thing I have ever done but had I not decide to pull out last night it might have also been the most irresponsible thing I have ever done. I just don't think I will enjoy doing my first Ironman with a cloud of regret hanging over my head. I believe I made the best decision.

Anyway, I wish you all safe travels and best of luck on Sunday.

Sorry to hear that you won't be joing us. Wish you best of luck on your future races.
New Thread
General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » IronMan Cozumel : Official Thread Rss Feed  

of 9