United States
32F / 0C
Precipitation
Total Time = 25m 7s
Overall Rank = 10/190
Age Group = 20-29
Age Group Rank = 2/11
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at 6:45, planned on leaving at 7:30 so that I had a good hour to get there and warm up. Had my standard bowl of oatmeal and a cup of coffee. Was out the door by 7:30 and got a little lost on the way since I pulled up the wrong directions on my blackberry. Still, got there at 8:30 and new I had plenty of time.
Event warmup:

I give credit to the volunteers. This was a very small race and it was cold, rainy, and they had very positive attitudes. I think we ended up starting closer to 9:20, so I did some jogging and pick ups before hand. Stood in the pouring rain with the other runners and jumped around a bit. Time to start the 2011 racing season!
Run
  • 25m 7s
  • 3.5 miles
  • 07m 11s  min/mile
Comments:

I started in mid-pack and sprinted ahead right away. Was definitely in first 20 runners which is where I finished the race. Actually don't remember being passed once which is a good thing. The trail had some slight ups and downs and was wet and icy. Had to be careful in spots.

Felt pretty good through the first ten minutes, they passed pretty quickly and I could tell that I was pushing. My breathing was similar to the vo2 intervals in cycling, and I could tell that this was a feeling I haven't had on the run for a while. Made it to 10 minutes and turned a corner and thought I was at halfway point, but the volunteer kept us pushing forward. Turns out the course was long and totaled 3.5 miles (oh well), so I hit the turn around in about 12 minutes. On the way back I started to hurt more, but kept pushing through. I passed all the runners coming the other way, and focused on keeping the pace up.
When I started to hit the more icy spots, I knew I was about a mile from home, so I tried to keep going. Definitely was at my limit where you feel like you will puke if you push any harder.
Passed a runner about half a mile from end, and could tell he was done for. He ended up finishing at least a minute behind me. Made a few winding turns through the trail and then saw the gates where the horses start out of. Made a right turn and ran home through the straightaway.

What would you do differently?:

Nothing. I've been running steady pace all winter to build base, and this 5k is my first attempt at racing this year. I want to make sure I get out there and push my limits, and I did that today for sure. 25 minutes in the 180bpm is a good test of your fitness and will also help me improve towards the next race.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around and stretched. Confirmed with a few other runners that it was 3.5 miles. Saw the director and told her good job considering the elements. Could tell she was upset about everything and overall I think she did a good job. I know people complain about stuff but I'm just happy to be involved in the sport and have an opportunity to race. It was good to get out and push myself. I had fun.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I'm not in tip top shape but this was just an opportunity to get out there and push it.

Event comments:

I still felt like this was a solid representation of where my fitness is at this stage in the game. I also love the fact that the elements were not great, and it forced me to push myself under not so great conditions.

Last updated: 2011-02-20 12:00 AM
Running
00:25:07 | 03.5 miles | 07m 11s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/11
Overall: 0/190
Performance: Average
HR hung around 180-187 for majority of the run. That seems to be my 5k pace.
Course: Out and back on a crushed gravel trail next to the Equestrian track. The entire trail was wet with ice in spots, so had to be careful to navigate.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes