Galveston, Texas
United States
On The Run
Total Time = 2h 15m 18s
Overall Rank = 374/829
Age Group = M40-44
Age Group Rank = 30/44
Pre-race routine:

Clif Bar, Banana, Water. Parked in garage, walked around, checked out start. Wife was cold so went back to truck to warm up and relax.
Event warmup:

Walking from garage to start 2x.
Run
  • 2h 15m 18s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 10m 20s  min/mile
Comments:

First HM for me and my wife. Goal was to stay together for 10 miles then finish strong. We tried to stay close to the 2:10 pacer but that was too fast for us. Settled in at around a 10:20 pace and tried to stay steady. Walked about every other aid station. They had H20, Acclerade, Gel, and a snack table w/oranges, pretzels, and oreos. Hit most of the drinks, plus a gel and an oreo. Every bit helped. The challenge for me was keeping my form and turnover up and not lapsing into a slumped/overstriding form. I was hurting some around Mile 8-10, but my wife kept going, so I kept her within reach even though I was starting to wheeze. Got the breathing under control, caught her at Mile 11 and we had a nice strong finish. Almost sprinted the end but again w/the wheezing.

Saw some beautiful people: A blind runner following his sighted partner, who gave directions as they went. Saw two runners with "In Memory of My Mom" shirts. Saw an 81-yr old man finish. He looked to be about 65. It was a real celebration.
What would you do differently?:

Push harder in the middle of races (same problem all my life). If not for my wife, I would have slowed down even more. Also need to find out why I am wheezing at the end of hard runs.
Post race
Warm down:

Water, medal, beer, tacos, walked around w/wife. Chatted w/other friends who finished, then walked some more and stretched.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Overall fitness: I did enough training miles to finish this race, but not enough to really race it. My core strenth is weak too: My back wants to slump and put too my much strain on my hips and hams.

Event comments:

Great race. Nice layout for both the start/finish and the course. Lots of food and drink at the finish. Really a fun event.

Last updated: 2011-01-24 12:00 AM
Running
02:15:18 | 13.1 miles | 10m 20s  min/mile
Age Group: 30/44
Overall: 374/829
Performance: Good
Avg HR 154.
Course: Starts on the Strand in Galveston. Nice layout on the city streets, then a long stretch of the Seawall. Down into some beachfront roads, then back up toward the Strand. Great downhill stretch before the finish.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2011-02-21 11:29 AM

User image

Veteran
SE TX
Subject: Galveston Mardi Gras Marathon

2011-02-22 1:09 PM
in reply to: #3365223

User image

Extreme Veteran
Houston
Subject: RE: Galveston Mardi Gras Marathon
Enjoyed your RR and this race too!  Hopefully see ya next year!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Galveston Mardi Gras Marathon Rss Feed