Train for the hills.
Post race
Warm down:

eat, ice bath

What limited your ability to perform faster:

my fitness

I am slow

Event comments:

I got to Austin Saturday afternoon. We ate lunch, then went to packet pick-up. The traffic around Palmer Events Center was NUTS. The expo was nice, busy, lots of freebies. I got my stuff and we went to the hotel.

Nerves, nerves, nerves.

Just driving through the town reminded me of the hills. Oh no, what have I gotten myself into? I've never done hills. Shit, this is going to be tough. Like 13.1 flat miles wouldn't be? Right.

We stayed at the Casulo Hotel, a neat little hotel just off 35 outside of the South Congress area. Beautiful, intimate, cozy. We checked in and unpacked. I got my race garb together, pinned on my bib, tag on shoe.. Then what? I felt idle. Idle means nervous and nervous means thinking too much.

Rescue Remedy did not help. Hot shower did not help. The only thing I could think of that would help was a long run. And.. well, you know. I had one of those to do the next day. So, when in Austin, you go out. So we went out. I was so anxious about the food I put in my body I ended up just drinking a milkshake and eating a chicken salad for dinner. I wasn't even hungry. But I knew calories were necessary. We spent a few hours out in the town then we headed back to the hotel.

In bed around 9. I probably set 4 alarms and got a wake-up call. I was ready. I slept pretty well. Up at 4, eating, shower, clothes on. I felt well prepared. We loaded up and drove downtown around 4:30. We were way too early but finding parking with the street closures was a challenge. We found a spot and sat in the car, waiting for 5:45. We talked, joked, ate a bit. The kids were delirious, but excited. At 5:45 we walked to gear check, we used the bathrooms several times. My stomach churned with anticipation. It was cool, windy and humid. I debated over and over if I wanted to run with my ipod. I put it in the tiny SPI belt and decided to carry it (it's tiny anyway) in case things got really dark on the run. I wanted to run without it as much as possible first.

I checked my gear, sipped my water and ate another banana. I intended to line up around 6:20. We took a few pictures and milled around. The crowd was small but growing. One more bathroom stop and I kissed my family goodbye. I handed my jacket to Dave and walked to the back of the Capital.

I had a bottle of water and my G-prime in my hand. I felt so light. I milled around my pace group area. I waited, struck up a conversation with a few ladies. Everyone looked nervous, anxious. I felt a wave of calm. I'm ready, let's go. I took my G-prime, took my advil and listened to the National Anthem.

I heard the guns, the crowd did not move. I needed to pee again. But that wasn't an option. I ditched the last of the spare tissue I stuffed in my top in a trash can, finished my water and finally the herd began to move. I saw the start line. I turned on the Garmin, it beeped, ready to register my day. My foot hit the blue pad, off I went.

The first quarter mile was a sort of grid of turns. I was already looking for a toilet. I stopped and peed, immediately regretting ditching the tissue, then kept going. I felt good, nothing hurting. I felt clear headed, hydrated and energetic. Mile 1 was nice, I saw Dave and the kids cheering just behind the finish line (torture to see now). I kept going. Mile 2 marked the beginning of the Congress Climb. We crossed the river and I saw them.. The hills.. Sweet jesus.. Here we go.

I did relatively well, jogging mostly the first 3 miles. At the 5K split I drank. I took one cup for my mouth and one for my hands. I put water on my face. I wasn't hot, but I wasn't cold. I put water on my neck and dropped the cups. Miles 4-6 were brutal uphill devils. I took food around mile 5. My first food was half a mini clif bar. It tasted SO good, I tasted salt in my sweat, I felt great. I kept going. Gatorade and more water around mile 6 as we finally rounded Ben White. I knew there was a downhill coming on 1st. I tried to keep my legs running, but I took a break. Everyone seemed to be walking. I took solace in the fact that I could taste the halfway point.

I chatted with a guy running in Newtons. He was running for his son who had died of leukemia. We paced each other about a half mile - a delicious downhill. The crowd support was great. I still felt good. Around mile 8 we crossed back over the river. I saw another crowd on the other side of the bridge. Then I saw my kids. My heart leaped. I ran faster, hugged them and kept going. I had no idea how dark the next few miles would be.

I never heard mile 9 beep on the Garmin, but as we took off down towards the MoPac I knew I was nearing mile 10. My left foot was screaming and my buggy ankle was hurting again. It felt like a death march, all the joy gone from seeing my family. Somewhere around mile 10 there was a huge aid station run by the Livestrong teams. The street was covered in chalk, the noise and roar of the support was amazing. I was in tears. My whole body was disputing me. I took water, gatorade. I felt half dead and I knew I had a massive hill ahead. A guy called out my name, gave me a cup of water and high-fived me. I kept running. Tears streaming.

I had officially entered unknown territory. I'd never gone this far on foot before and although I knew I could do it - my emotional resolve was weak. I saw a girl get on a med cart, they cut off her d-tag and took her down the street. I took a deep breath, seeing another climb and kept going. We rounded again, this time heading back towards downtown Austin. One more pass over the river, a few more bitch hills and we'd be done. The full Marathon split at that point. I was amazed seeing people run off knowing they had another 15 or so miles to go.. Wow.. Mile 11. More water, nutrition. I ate the gu chomps because I needed the caffeine. I knew I risked the nausea, I took the risk of puking them up. I had to have the bump. It worked. 2 cups of water, 1 more gatorade. I was ready.

With less than 2 miles to go, I calmed. I wasn't afraid anymore. I knew I was going to finish. I walked up, ran down. One more giant hill.. I figured I had a pretty bad blister on the bottom of my left foot and by this time I do think my right calf had gone AWOL. Just keep going, I told myself. Don't stop.

I kept seeing the dome of the Capital. The finish line sat right in front of the Capital. I entered known streets, I saw the crowd. I heard the roar. We rounded again, up the street, one more turn to the finish. My legs, somehow - whatever miracle, ran without command. I saw the signs... 600 meters to go, 400 meters to go... 200 meters to go... I saw the green canopy of the finish line. Runners everywhere pushing to the last blue mat. Just get over the blue mat, legs. Just run. And so I did. Again, crying like a crazy fool. There was a woman running ahead of me I had paced a bit for the last few miles. We finished seconds apart.

I got my medal, posed for a picture, and looked for my family. I felt the high. I had done it.

The rest is a blur. I got back to the car, medal and shirt in hand. I took an ice bath at the hotel. I slept. My ankle and right leg did and do hurt. This wasn't an easy race for me.

I am thankful for so many things. I had no blisters, miracle. My food, hydration, choice of clothing - even my hat - spot on choices. I was ready for the weather. The hills were hard. I won't lie. I wasn't ready for the hills. But I was proud that I did as well as I did in spite of not being trained for hills. I'm thankful for the crowd support and the aid stations. It was incredibly well managed. I had water every time I even thought of water. It was plentiful. The support staff was amazing. I was thrilled that I did run the entire thing without music. This is a first for me. You can't run tris with an ipod. It's good for me to learn to run without that crutch.

The race overall was beautiful. Austin is a gorgeous town. I loved seeing so much of it. The crowds were great and hearing my name called out (it's on the bib) was really really encouraging.

I am so glad I did this. I'll never forget it.

Last updated: 2010-12-09 12:00 AM
Running
03:06:18 | 13.1 miles | 14m 13s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
Course:
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Too hard
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2011-02-21 5:58 PM

User image

Regular
Conroe TX
Subject: Austin Half Marathon

2011-02-21 9:08 PM
in reply to: #3365879

User image

Pro
Houston
Subject: RE: Austin Half Marathon
Karen, my friend, I cannot tell you how proud I am of you. I know your journey and am proud to witness your astonishing courage. You made me cry but I smiled when I read you went music free! I wish I could have been there for you but there will be many more. You are a rock star!
2011-02-21 9:54 PM
in reply to: #3366126

User image

Extreme Veteran
Houston
I just got a PR for reading a RR!!  LOL!! - sweet account of your first HM.  You are officially hooked in case you didn't realize it already.  So happy for ya.  The spring in your step and the wind in your lungs is all the music you need to get you to the line.  It took me a long time to run without music.
2011-02-22 8:23 AM
in reply to: #3366126

User image

Regular
Conroe TX
KeriKadi - 2011-02-21 9:08 PM Karen, my friend, I cannot tell you how proud I am of you. I know your journey and am proud to witness your astonishing courage. You made me cry but I smiled when I read you went music free! I wish I could have been there for you but there will be many more. You are a rock star!

Music free all the way baby!!!!  I had my shuffle in my SPI belt, but I never reached for it.  It was interesting to see all the runners with their headphones.  I felt the energy of the race with nothing in my ears.  SO MUCH BETTER.  The crowd support was amazing too.  Plus I got to talk to a few people along the way.  So nice.  Thanks for encouraging me to do that.  It was a great choice. 

You are such a huuuuuuge inspiration to me Keri.  You really have no idea.  Can't wait for many many more races. 

2011-02-22 8:24 AM
in reply to: #3366187

User image

Regular
Conroe TX
Kenott - 2011-02-21 9:54 PM I just got a PR for reading a RR!!  LOL!! - sweet account of your first HM.  You are officially hooked in case you didn't realize it already.  So happy for ya.  The spring in your step and the wind in your lungs is all the music you need to get you to the line.  It took me a long time to run without music.

100% hooked.  I want to sign up for Dallas.  But luckily it's the weekend I'm going to NYC.  There will be more Half Marathons in my future.  You betcha. 

2011-02-22 8:29 AM
in reply to: #3365879

User image

Regular
Southern Indiana
Nice report. Congratulations!!!!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Austin Half Marathon Rss Feed