Great Aloha Run
78F / 26C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 17m 24s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = M35-39
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Woke up early after going to bed at 8:00p on Sunday. Drove down to Aloha Stadium to catch the shuttle bus to the start in downtown Honolulu at Aloha Tower. Ate a light breakfast in my car about 4:00a and dozed a bit before putting on my running shoes and race belt then caught the shuttle at about 5:00.
Event warmup:

Dozed for about an hour before using the porta-pot. Jogged down to the start and staged myself closer the front than I usually do. I expected there would be a slew of walkers who didn't stage properly.
Run
  • 1h 17m 24s
  • 8.15 miles
  • 09m 30s  min/mile
Comments:

My run time is unofficial as I stupidly forgot to put on my timing chip before leaving the stadium on the shuttle bus.

Crossed the start line about 5 minutes after the gun went off and immediately had to play dodge the walkers like I did last year. Went faster than I wanted to in the opening mile because I was just frustrated with having to weave in and around walkers and strollers. Settled into my 10k pace once I had a bit of daylight in front of me and kept it there with a few minor surges to get around slower runners. Didn't bother to stop at any aid stations as I was well hydrated prior to the run. The hills in the final 5k didn't bother me as my training runs always end with at least a 1/4-mile run uphill to my home. I managed to exceed my time goal of 1:20:00 and, in doing so, pr'ed the run by nearly 9 minutes over last year even though my time is unofficial.
What would you do differently?:

Not get frustrated by people who don't know how to stage themselves correctly. I know it's only a fun run but I do wish people wouldn't be far too optimistic about how long it would take them to finish the course.

I know I can go even faster next year if I keep running more and consistently.
Post race
Warm down:

Got my post-race food and finisher shirt. Walked down to my car and stretched for a few minutes before heading home.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Humid. Humid. Humid. This was as bad a level of humidity as I've encountered for this race or any race I've done.

Getting caught behind slower runners and walkers. I'm pretty sure I could have saved another couple of minutes if I had started even closer to the start line than I did.

Event comments:

The usual Great Aloha Run race-a few runners and tons of walkers. I enjoyed running alongside the military guys and gals and chatting with them and thanking them for their service to the country.

Last updated: 2011-01-06 12:00 AM
Running
01:17:24 | 08.15 miles | 09m 30s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
Course: Flat run on Nimitz Hwy from Aloha Tower to Aloha Stadium. Some easy hills in the last 5k.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2011-02-21 9:58 PM

User image

Subject: Great Aloha Run

2011-02-22 3:23 PM
in reply to: #3366198

User image

Subject: RE: Great Aloha Run
Good job on the PR...official or unofficial...it wasn't the best day to be running.

I was about 125 feet from the start line, and there was still masses of people that had no business within 1000 feet of it.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Great Aloha Run Rss Feed