Cool Running
92F / 33C
Sunny
Total Time = 29m 12s
Overall Rank = 1576/3890
Age Group = W 25-29
Age Group Rank = 82/223
Pre-race routine:

Afternoon: blueberry muffin, plenty of water, plain GU, berry applesauce.
Dressed in cool, breathable running shorts and a GSTC t-shirt (a little hot for this - we should get singlets!).
Event warmup:

Slow, easy jogs up and down Elm Street after registration. Gentle stretching, hydrating. Saw a few friends - said hello! Then made my way to the second wave, the recreational runner start line
Run
  • 29m 12s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 09m 25s  min/mile
Comments:

A flat fast running course, though MOBBED by people - it is the largest road race in the state, and the third largest road race in New England, behind the Boston Marathon and the Falmouth Road Race. I enjoyed running down Elm and seeing new businesses, jogging through the North End and seeing the old Victorian homes. There were lots of people cheering for us, which was encouraging. I kept in mind my newly-learned Chi principles - running from the center; pick up feet, not knees; tilt forward to gain speed; breath in rhythm with your running. Probably could have focused more on technique in the last mile - I felt sloppy.
What would you do differently?:

Hydrate more earlier in the day, wear a more breathable singlet shirt, and go faster.
Post race
Warm down:

Walkaround - kept moving, light stretching. Visited the expo tables and grabbed ads for upcoming road races. Drank lots of water, then jogged/walk back to the car.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Heat, poor technique.

Event comments:

I think this race needs some music out on the course. It is so quiet! I needed a pick-me-up around the beginning of mile three. Maybe some local bands playing during and after the race.

Last updated: 2005-08-11 12:00 AM
Running
00:29:12 | 03.1 miles | 09m 25s  min/mile
Age Group: 82/223
Overall: 1576/3890
Performance: Average
Average heart rate: 131 (this sounds low, however, for I was panting!) Peak heart rate: 192 (!!) Yikes! I took it back down to mid 160's when I read this! Maybe a fluky read on the monitor, although I was pushing it, despite the heat. Total calories expent: around 300
Course: A fast USA Track and Field Certified (NH98030WN) 5K (3.1 mile) loop starting at Amherst and Elm Streets, heading north on Elm, west on Thayer, south on River Road and Canal Street and finishing on Merrimack Street, next to Veterans Park.
Keeping cool Below average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %1
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes