Lost Dutchman Marathon
50F / 10C
Overcast
Total Time = 5h 36m 56s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

We needed to wake up at 2:30 to be on the road by 3:30 to make it to Apache Junction to catch a bus to the start area. We made good time and Jenna dropped me off at the start area with plenty of time. It was raining lightly and the parking area was a muddy mess. I was able to get on a bus quickly and sat with my eyes closed as I rode the bus to the start, where it was dry.
Event warmup:

At the camp, I made a couple of trips to the restroom, ate my powerbar and sat by a campfire. I saw Tanya and we caught up for a little bit as we made our way to the start. As the gun approached, 26.2 miles seemed like a long way, and the coziness of the camp became more and more appealing. Nonetheless, I had shown up to run, and run I would...
Run
  • 5h 36m 56s
  • 26.2 miles
  • 12m 52s  min/mile
Comments:

I had several goals for the race, in increasing order of difficulty. I wanted to finish, stay within the course cutoffs, PR for a marathon (5:24:09), and go under 5:00. Based on the run focused marathon plan I had followed for three months, even the sub-5 hour goal was reasonable.

The first six miles of the course were on an unpaved road and mostly downhill. I started off feeling good, and I was knocking down miles at less than my goal pace of 11:30 miles. This was probably expected on a downhill section of the course. Despite rain the previous day, the gravel road was in good shape and there weren't many muddy sections to contend with. I finally got onto the pavement and was in good shape.

In the second section of the course (miles 7-13), things started well, but I started to hurt at around mile 9. I was staying on schedule with drinking my Infinit mix (one bottle every hour) and my pace was right on target until miles 12 and 13. Even though I knew I was on an uphill section, I was starting to get concerned as my pace started to fall for a couple of miles and my leg pain and fatigue increased.

Miles 14-20 started off a little downhill, and I was able to start bringing my pace back into line with my goals. I was hurting, though, and as the road turned uphill again, my pace started into a downward spiral that I couldn't reverse. I had been able to stick to my plan of running for 11 minutes and a short one minute walk break, but the eleven minute segments started to be too long to sustain - I needed to adapt, and started a 3 minute run and 3 minute walk. In that section, my hopes of going under 5:00 and getting a PR slipped away. I though this would be my opportunity to run a marathon the way I was capable of doing it, but here I was again, marching along with the injured and the undertrained.

I finally got to mile 20, but my pace had fallen off substantially. Every step was painful, whether running or walking. I was discouraged, angry with myself and my body, and to add insult to injury, the winds picked up and it started raining. A day that had started so strong and full of hope had deteriorated into a survival death march in a rainstorm. I slogged through the miles with my 3 minute run/walk segments. I called Jenna to tell her that I was running way behind my expected pace but I was still on my way. I have to give a lot of credit to the volunteers, who hung in there to keep the stations stocked and encouraging those of us that were still out there.

After 5 and a half hours of battling myself and the elements, the finish line finally came into view. As I approached the finish line, I forced a smile through my disappointment. I collected my medal and gave Jenna a hug. It had been a long morning.
What would you do differently?:

On the day itself, I don't think there is anything else I could have done. I got to the start line healthy and prepared. A calf strain that I had dealt with in training hadn't been an issue on race day. I dressed as appropriately as possible to be comfortable in the conditions. I had stayed right on target with hydration and nutrition. I had placed Body Glide well and had not had any chafing problems. The effort, undoubtedly, was there - the performance just wasn't up to expectations.
Post race
Warm down:

Thank God Jenna was there for me after the race. I had maxed myself out physically and was having a lot of trouble getting around. She helped me with getting my morning clothes bag, getting me to the car, and helping me change into dry, warm clothes. It felt so good to be dry and warm, and to have her there to drive me home. My legs were actually trembling during the ride.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I really wish that I had legitimate excuses for my slower than expected time, like my calf injury or the weather. However, that isn't the case. Neither really impacted the run on Sunday. After two days of trying to figure out what the hell went wrong, I have a couple of theories.

First, I went out a little too fast and didn't have much left in the later stages of the race. I know from training that I would tend to get fatigued between miles 14 and 16 and would struggle after that. I may have naively thought that on race day, after a proper taper and allowing the training load to absorb that the onset of the fatigue would happen later. However, this theory doesn't account for starting to hurt at mile 8 or 9 - that was way too early.

Second, I didn't have enough training on hills. The hills on this course weren't particularly steep, but it was a rolling course and my training runs (with the exception of a couple of training runs on the White Tanks course) were mostly flat. The hills on race day caught up to me and caused me to hurt more and earlier than I had experienced in training. Although there likely is some merit to theory one, this is more likely.

The bottom line is that, as much as I hoped I had a sub-5 in me on Sunday, on February 22, 2011, on the Lost Dutchman course, I was a 5:36:56 marathoner. That's the reality, as much as it hurts to accept.

Event comments:

The organizers and volunteers did a fantastic job. The camp at the starting line was great, the buses ran efficiently, and the aid stations were well manned and stocked, even for those at the back of the pack.

Last updated: 2010-12-01 12:00 AM
Running
05:36:56 | 26.2 miles | 12m 52s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Below average
Course: Rolling hills through Gold Canyon and Apache Junction
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? No
Evaluation
Course challenge Too hard
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2011-02-22 10:19 AM

User image

Master
Surprise, Arizona
Subject: Lost Dutchman Marathon

2011-02-22 1:25 PM
in reply to: #3366886

User image

Extreme Veteran
Scottsdale
Subject: RE: Lost Dutchman Marathon
Just getting through on a morning like last Sunday is a feat in itself Brian.  The threat of rain, then to have it happen towards the end of the race is a bit depressing.  Credit goes to you for not logging a DNF and for making it the entire distance.  I am not sure if you have done the Dutchman before (I had not), but it turned out to be a bit more challenging a course on the legs than I expected.  My quads are still sore today, and that has not happened after the Chang's marathon, so it shows how brutal the hills turned out to be.

Mark this one down as battling the elements and course challenges, and still having the moxie to get the job done.  Congrats!
2011-02-22 3:20 PM

User image

Veteran
You completed the race and finish.  That more than what other has done.  I too have been chasing that sub 5 (actually sub 5:30) mark for 10 years now (6 attempts).  One day you will get it!  Rest up and look for another 26.2 at the end of the year or do LDM next year again and break that sub 5.  I know you can do it!
2011-02-23 7:40 AM

User image

Elite
the desert
anything can happen on race day... way to finish!
2011-02-23 7:43 AM

User image

Master
Goodyear, AZ

Great race report Brian! I liek how you broke your goals down and just kept on going when you realized you were not going to PR, a lot of peopel would have given up at that point bt you finished a tough race in bad weather conditions! WTG!

Jenna has to eb the best sherpa, but I know you know that!

2011-02-23 10:05 AM

User image

Regular
Tempe
I know it's not the finish you wanted but you still finished on a less than optimum day.  My motivation would have gone too when the wind and rain came.  Like you said they may not have been the steepest hills but they deserve respect.  They will drain you especially during a marathon.  I think you did great keeping loyal to the training plan and sticking with it when things weren't going right.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Lost Dutchman Marathon Rss Feed