General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Anyone doing the Tri the Rock Tri in Rockwall, TX? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2005-08-11 8:16 PM

User image

Regular
Arlington, TX
Subject: Anyone doing the Tri the Rock Tri in Rockwall, TX?
This will be my first triathlon. I just drove the bike route and looked extremely hilly to me. I have ridden that distance before but never a distance that hilly. It makes me very nervous. Did any of you do the race last year? What is your feedback on the bike part?

Thanks for the help,

Mike

2005-08-12 9:36 AM
in reply to: #223380

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2005-08-18 10:12 AM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2005-08-21 3:20 PM

Extreme Veteran
Dallas, Texas
Subject: RE: Anyone doing the Tri the Rock Tri in Rockwall, TX?

Tri the Rock is my first tri, too.  I've been meaning to go ride, or at least drive the course, but I don't think I'll have time now.  So, thanks for the info.  That is going to kinda suck for me because the thing that I am the most terrible at is climbing hills.  ugh!  I hope it's not as bad as it looks.  Although, it will make it all the more fun and fulfilling if it is.  See ya there. 

2005-08-22 1:40 PM

Extreme Veteran
Texas
I'm doing it. I'll drive the course sometime this week. As I haven't seen the hills yet I can't give any specific advice, but down shift into and easy gear before you get to the hill so you can spin up it. You don't want to waste your legs on the hills and have nothing for the run. But also remember whatever goes up must come down. Make use of the down hills. Get as much speed out of them as you can that was you have momentum going up.

I'll post again after I drive it.
2005-08-22 4:00 PM

Dangit! I knew there would be a catch! I suck on the hills but I am committed so hopefully that will be enough! I am driving the course tonite and will report back tomorrow but since this is my first tri too I doubt I will be able to give any constructive feedback....See ya at the finish line!

Ray

2005-08-24 9:50 AM

, Texas
Yet another first timer here doing this tri. Don't have any comments on the event, but thought I'd bump the thread.

2005-08-26 9:02 AM

Extreme Veteran
Texas
Drove the course last night.
It appears to be a slight downhill to the first turn off Goliad onto 542, but becareful at the turn because there is gravel at the crossroad off the side of the road that might be on the street. Most of the rolling hills are on 542, nothing to be scared of the downhills equal the uphills just make sure to use your downhill momentum to get up the hill. The hills are fairly short and not very steep. The turn onto 66 from 542 is almost a u-turn and the road at this point is not very good it appears to have a rut the size of a tire at the turn. 66 isn't as well taken care of as the other roads. There are spots where the road drops off near the right. My car read 14.8 miles.
And it looks like a scenic drive. I didn't realize Rockwall was so nice. City/country living in one place and well planned right up against a large lake.

Good luck everyone!
2005-08-26 9:34 AM

Extreme Veteran
Fort Worth, TX
Hey guys.  This was my first tri last year.  The bike had me shaking in my boots with all the hills, but it turned out to be no big deal.  Like someone else said its rolling hills so us your downhill momentum on the uphill.  There was one evil hill at about mile 10 or 11 but just drop the gears and spin up it.  I did it on a mountain bike last year and was in horrible shape, so its completely doable!

Its a great race!  Enjoy it!
2005-08-26 9:37 AM

Thanks for the updates...You guys have calmed me down a little bit. I was kind worried about the hills but I agree that if you get you momentum up going down them then the next one isn't so bad. I am having trouble sleeping because I am so pumped to do my first tri. See everyone there!

Ray
2005-08-27 12:26 PM

Extreme Veteran
Dallas, Texas

Hey that's great info, ya'll.  I got my race number yesterday - so look out for me: number 409.  Most of ya'll will be finished with the race before I start.  haha.  I met turqy unexpectedly yesterday at Richardson Bike Mart when I we were getting our bikes inspected.  Hope to meet the rest of ya'll there at Tri the Rock! 

2005-08-27 2:29 PM

Got my packet too...I am number 52. See everyone there! Walk up and tell me your handle so I can get to know some more BTers! I am getting pumped just thinking about Sunday!

Ray
2005-08-28 3:44 AM

Extreme Veteran
Dallas, Texas
The race is today!!!! can't believe it's already here. I've been up since 3am this morning. And I'm surprisingly not nervous yet. I hope all of you have a great race. I would love to meet as many of you as I can, but I have no idea how that will work, since I won't recognize you, and don't know your race numbers. But I'll just be millling around until probably noon (haha) waiting to start. So once ya'll finish your races, come say hi to 409 (me) as she is still waiting to go. See ya'll there!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Anyone doing the Tri the Rock Tri in Rockwall, TX? Rss Feed