Competitor
65F / 18C
Sunny
Total Time = 5h 25m 6s
Overall Rank = 2669/3179
Age Group = 45 - 49 Female
Age Group Rank = 117/160
Pre-race routine:

Got up at 4:30. Had organized my gear the night before so got ready pretty quickly. Had a begal with PB and a banana. Woke my aunt up to drive me to the start and off we went. The race info said to be there by 6:00, not sure how the traffic would be, I got there around 5:30. There was hardly anyone there. Stood around for over an hour, used the potty, took a gu and then it started.
Run
  • 5h 25m 6s
  • 26.2 miles
  • 12m 25s  min/mile
Comments:

I always way overestimate my finish time so the start was a little bogged down by slower runners. I finally got clear and ran at a comfortable pace. I really enjoyed the area and kept my mind occupied with the scenery and the unique runners. Ran through the water stops but grabbed a cup and drank while I ran. Went down through the Audobon park which was really pleasant. Is we came out, my left foot was pretty painful as usual. Started taking some small walk breaks. Heading down St. Charles arounnd mile 10 I started looking for a portapotty. Found a set but "ugh" no toilet paper!! Wasted time looking in all 3. Went down to the next set which were luckily next to a 1st aid station and they had paper towels to use. I was good for a bit until I got down into the French Quarter. I was getting a blister on my left foot. I'd gotten the same blister on my last 20 mile run but that was about the only blister I'd ever had from running. Decided to stop at first aid to put some vaseline on it. This didn't help much. Kept on down another beautiful road toward the park. Made it to the park and decided to stop and get rid of the blister. Now I knew I only had the run out to the lake and back. Was around mile 19 and was really have a hard time focusing on a goal beyond the next 1/2 mile so I ran to that point and walked a bit for most of the rest of the course. I was very concerned with the 20 mile "wall". That really didn't seem to happen but had a mental struggle at mile 21 when I saw the mile 23 sign on the other side of the road. The out road from the park had seemed pretty long at that point and I could see that I had another 2 miles before I could even get back to that point. I took a breath and cleared my mind and knew I could finish and decided not to stress. Made it to the lake, which was beautiful, and knew I had this in the bag. Came back into the park, worked the various roads in the park and knew I was almost there. Saw a familiar shirt ahead of me and saw FB friend Robbie ahead. Spoke to her and felt good about my time because she had expected to finish 30 min ahead of me. Then I could see the finish line. I was focused on listening to the announcer calling my name when I heard my name being called from the sideline. My family was there, My mother, aunt, brother and cousin. Holding signs for me and cheering me on. As many races as I've done, I've never had family there to support me like that. It was so special to have that at the end of my first marathon.
What would you do differently?:

Get a little more mental toughness and walk less.
Post race
Warm down:

Nothing other than walk back to the car.

Last updated: 2010-10-11 12:00 AM
Running
05:25:06 | 26.2 miles | 12m 25s  min/mile
Age Group: 117/160
Overall: 2669/3179
Performance: Good
Course: A very flat course with beautiful scenery throughout.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 2
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes