General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Golden Bound! Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2011-02-24 10:00 AM

User image

Subject: Golden Bound!
So I am officially set to get to experience the altitude of Colorado!  I am coming from an amazing elevation of 650 ft out in Iowa and will get to do a week of training up around Golden and Boulder.

Does anybody have any bike routes that are challenging to go on as well as safe to travel on?  I will be out from March 13th - March 20th and am hoping to be able to put in a few good rides during the week before getting in a 40-45 mile ride on the 19th if anybody would be interested in going on a ride.

I've been getting tips on becoming acclimated to the altitude as well. Mainly taking it easy and drinking lots of water for the first few days.  Any extra tips that you find to help?

2011-02-24 1:17 PM
in reply to: #3370329

Veteran
Subject: RE: Golden Bound!
First of all, welcome!

This time of year can be somewhat hit or miss.  Could be 60 & sunny, or could be snow.  Yes, March is our snowiest month

As far as routes - if you want to climb, we've got hills.  Lefthand Canyon, Coal Creek or Golden Gate are all good, but again, this time of year you could run into snow/ice up top, and will definitely have sand on the roads.  You might check out the course maps for the 5430 Triathlon Series, including IM Boulder 70.3.  That's some nice riding around Boulder that doesn't really go into the mountains.

Closer to Golden, there's Lookout Mtn, Red Rocks and Dinosaur Ridge, which is a bit lower in elevation and might have a better chance of being clear of the snow.

Feel free to PM me if you want any specifics.

As far as elevation, there's no good way to acclimate.  It takes about a month, so just be prepared to feel a bit out of breath.   Plenty of water will help.
2011-02-25 1:29 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Centennial, CO

You could also go ride the Boulder 70.3 course. That one isn't too hilly, but it's well laid out, imo.

2011-02-26 1:43 PM

User image

New user
Bring layers, lots of layer: )

Booties, toe covers, tights, knee warmers, long sleeve base layers, arm warmers, windproof jacket, headband, warm gloves, if you have it, bring it.  Then again it could be in the 60s, you just never know here day to day.

A great ride out of Golden this time of year is to ride up Lookout and drop down the frontage road and wind through Red Rocks to Morrison and back home along Rooney rd. 2 hr-ish ride.'

Like has been said, the great mountain rides all are at too high of elevation this time of year.  The Boulder courses are great riding but not as scenic.
2011-03-16 12:21 AM

Lookout Mn. to Floyd Hill to Central City Pkwy to Blackhawk (just ride through, screw them) up Peak to Peak to Golden Gate, 75 miles of hell. 
2011-03-17 2:50 PM
in reply to: #3373621

User image

New user
^^^^  Awesome ride, again, lot's of layers: )  For Saturday it's supposed to be 60 dergees in Golden, 38 in Central City with probable snow.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Golden Bound! Rss Feed