General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Traveling to Athens, Thessaloniki - need to vacation & train Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2011-02-26 7:47 PM

User image

Veteran
Glendale, California
Subject: Traveling to Athens, Thessaloniki - need to vacation & train

I am planning a trip April 25th to Greece to vacation with my husband, followed by a week in Istanbul for a business trip. I need advice for how to squeeze in some bikes/swims while in Greece -- in Athens and Thessaloniki.

We plan on hiking Mt Olympus, but I can't really have 2 weeks without swimming or biking so close to competition. The running part will be easy.

Has anyone hooked up with the Athens tri club to swim or to rented a bike and cycled outside of Athens?

Also, I am unclear if swimming in the Aegean in late April is possible or if I need to locate a pool. I'd be happy if I could get two swims, two bikes in plus some running between my regular vacation relaxation.

2011-02-27 3:13 PM
in reply to: #3373876

User image

Veteran
Subject: RE: Traveling to Athens, Thessaloniki - need to vacation & train
kofian - 2011-02-27 3:47 AM

I am planning a trip April 25th to Greece to vacation with my husband, followed by a week in Istanbul for a business trip. I need advice for how to squeeze in some bikes/swims while in Greece -- in Athens and Thessaloniki.

We plan on hiking Mt Olympus, but I can't really have 2 weeks without swimming or biking so close to competition. The running part will be easy.

Has anyone hooked up with the Athens tri club to swim or to rented a bike and cycled outside of Athens?

Also, I am unclear if swimming in the Aegean in late April is possible or if I need to locate a pool. I'd be happy if I could get two swims, two bikes in plus some running between my regular vacation relaxation.

I can't help with the bike portion, I think that might be pretty tough. Hopefully your hotel has a spin bike. I do remember going into a local swim club in Thessaloniki near the waterfront/museum. I don't remember the details too well, but I would bet on you being able to get a swim in. If you plan on swimming in the ocean, pack your wetsuit it's gonna be chilly this time of year. A word of caution too, be careful on your runs. Stick near the waterfront and don't wander too far inland, it's very easy to get turned around in there.

Although I've never ran in Athens, I had several friends tell me of being chased by dogs. At one point Greece had a pretty lax dog law so be wary of that.
2011-02-27 4:28 PM

User image

Expert
C-bus
Can't help with the swimming or biking part.  Mt. Olympus is obviously hilly and the roads are relatively quiet.  That would be a great place to bike if you can find one.  I don't recommend biking anywhere near Athens (proper) as the driving there is unreal!

Color me jealous.  I went to Athens, Corinth, and some islands on our honeymoon.  I'd go back in a heartbeat!!!

Have a great time!
2011-02-27 5:19 PM

Thessaloniki is really not bike friendly except the seaside. It has a nice view and it's flat.
I live in Istanbul. You can find many swimming pools which will allow you to swim once or twice for a reasonable price. There are some bicycle shops that rent bikes. You can also go to little islands near Istanbul with ferry. It takes about an hour and only allowed vehicles in those islands are bicycles and horse drawn carriages.
Istanbul is a hilly city with a terrible traffic and we don't have much bicycle paths. The only decent places to ride with comfort are outside of the city or the seaside which goes almost straight and flat for 40-50 kilometers. Weather should be nice enough to train outside during April.
I'd be happy to show you around. 00905375007195  
2011-06-06 10:35 AM

Bedford, NH, USA
I found a great 8 lane 25m pool and track near my hotel, just SW of the Acropolis, but it's private it appears. They recommended the beach!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Traveling to Athens, Thessaloniki - need to vacation & train Rss Feed