Racing Underground
45F / 7C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 05m 1s
Overall Rank = 42/187
Age Group = 40-49
Age Group Rank = 13/38
Pre-race routine:

Got to the race site around 8:30 and drove around the course. I always do that. Found a transition spot and talk to some friends.
Event warmup:

DId a short 1/2 mile run and a 2-3 mile bike. I was plenty warm and it was windy today!
Run
  • 26m 41s
  • 4 miles
  • 06m 40s  min/mile
Comments:

The run went pretty well. Going up the hill at the start was tough but I just took it easy until I got on the dirt path which was flat. I was passing lots of people since I was way behind after the flat. I did have 2 guys go by me, one of them just took off and was out of sight the other was within sight the whole run. Just kept it as fast as I could. Felt good and checked the garmin every once in a while and my pace was getting faster each mile. Mile 1 uphill 6:51, mile 2, flat,6:29, mile 3 up and down 6:30 and mile 4 on the road into a headwind and uphill for the last .25 was 6:45.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing good run...
Transition 1
  • 01m 22s
Comments:

second fastest overall the first place guy overall was faster by 5 seconds.

Nothing.
Bike
  • 36m 59s
  • 11 miles
  • 17.85 mile/hr
Comments:

So the race started in waves of about 8-10 people on the bike at 1 minute intervals. So I was in wave D or the 4th wave. Some dude busted out front hard and then stopped peddling, not sure what happened but as I went by he still had his chain on? So I was out in front of my group and began catching the waves in front of me. Got to the only real hill and hit it hard and headed downhill to the turn around. I saw my buddy Dave who was in the first wave and out front heading back to the trans and I wanted to see how close behind him I was. Then right after that I hit something in the road and my back tire lurched to the right, I think I hit a big ass piece of asphault. THen my tire went flat! Damn it, I had no spare or tire irons today so my race was over. I wanted to at least finish since I haave never in my life DNF'ed a race and didn't want today to be the first. So I take the wheel off and yell to everyone going by if they have a tube. Everyone says no. Then my buddy Chris goes by and I yell, "tube" he says yeah when I come around. We were almost at the turn around. So I am trying to get the tire off with a stick and finally get the tube out and ready for my buddy to come around. He stops and I grab the tube and off he goes. I put the tube in and then work on the tire but I had put on new tires last night and they are tight and i have no tire irons. A guy goes by and says,"do you have everything?" I reply NO! He comes around and lets me use his tire iron. I ask him his name and he tells me Matt, I thank him and off he goes. Well I would have to say I am greatful for those who stopped to help me, that's why I love this sport, such good people. SO I finish up and head out to set a new land speed record. I know I will not win but this was the last race of the series and I was tied for first so I thought maybe I could pull off a podium for the overall. I pushed as hard as I could and was ready to see how the legs felt for the run. My bike time would have been 28:14 with 23.1 mile per hour average. I got the infor from my garmin as it stops when I stop.

Not get aflat. Even If I had a tube I would not have finished in the top 3. At least I didn't DNF.
Transition 2
  • 00m
Run
  • 00m
  • 4 miles
  •  min/mile
Post race
Warm down:

Talked to friends and had a few beers and watched the awards. Pretty bummed as my time I had on the garmin, (moving time) was 56:18 would have gotten me the agegroup win for the day, and I would have won the overall series win in my agegroup. Oh well things like that happen to everyone today was my day. I have raced over 60 triathlons and this was my first flat in a race, it was my time.

Event comments:

Great winter series with awesome competition.

Last updated: 2011-02-17 12:00 AM
Running
00:26:41 | 04 miles | 06m 40s  min/mile
Age Group: 1/38
Overall: 8/187
Performance: Good
No heart rate data.
Course: THis was the second portion of the race. THe bike was first. out of transition up the hill to the west entrance and then on dirt paths that paralleled Belleview then back on to the reservoir road to the finish. it was a loop course.
Keeping cool Average Drinking
T1
Time: 01:22
Overall: Good
Run with bike? Good
Jump on bike? Good
Getting up to speed and into shoes:
Biking
00:36:59 | 11 miles | 17.85 mile/hr
Age Group: 0/38
Overall: 0/187
Performance: Bad
average heart rate was 154, average watts was 248
Wind: Headwind with gusts
Course: Loop around the rez. the wind was very tough today. I train here almost always and it was as windy as I have seen it in the morning.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence: 85
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:00
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:00:00 | 04 miles |  min/mile
Age Group: 0/38
Overall: 0/187
Performance:
Course:
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2011-02-27 2:05 PM

User image

Official BT Coach
Englewood, CO
Subject: Chilly Cheeks Duathlon #3

2011-02-27 4:38 PM
in reply to: #3374392

User image

Veteran
Parker, CO
Subject: RE: Chilly Cheeks Duathlon #3
Sorry to hear about the flat.  Way to finish the race and not get a DNF.  I agree, I think this sport has some of the best people around.
2011-02-28 10:30 AM
in reply to: #3374392

User image

Pro
Parker, CO
Subject: RE: Chilly Cheeks Duathlon #3
Man Mark...major bummer about the flat.  When I read your average speed I knew something went wrong. Not all that surprised with blowing a tire on that course as CC Rez has some pretty bad spots on the road.  I wish they would resurface the entire road!  Well, way to not give up and continue on to finish.  And that's a smoking fast run!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Chilly Cheeks Duathlon #3 Rss Feed