Site Issues Training Log & Site Support » Garmin upload issue - worked previously but no longer uploading Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2011-02-28 10:33 AM

User image

Cincinnati
Subject: Garmin upload issue - worked previously but no longer uploading
I have been successfully uploading data from my Garmin 310XT to the BT site for about a year.  Mysteriously, about 2-3 weeks ago, the upload feature stopped working.  I've researched earlier posts and tried all the solutions, but it still won't work. 

Here is an outline of the problem:
- I have a Mac and a BT Gold membership.
- When I click on "Upload from Garmin", my Garmin device is found successfully, and then when I click on "get data", it will initially show  "transfer complete", but actually no transfer occurs.  Worse yet, a pop-up screen appears that states that there is an "unresponsive script", and the browser is basically locked up.
- I've tried two browsers - neither works.
- I've checked my Garmin Communicator software; it is up to date.
- I've restarted the Mac and restarted the browser.

I will attach a screenshot showing these pop-up windows in hopes that someone may be able to help me figure out why my uploads are no longer working.  I rely on those uploads!!

(Garmin upload issue .jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Garmin upload issue .jpg (90KB - 26 downloads)

2011-02-28 3:39 PM
in reply to: #3375430

User image

Champion
Fairport, NY
Subject: RE: Garmin upload issue - worked previously but no longer uploading
For the 310xt, Garmin Communicator pulls the files from the device and stores them in a folder on your PC. If the number of these files gets too large Communicator stalls. The fix is to reduce the number of files in that directory. If you want to save them, just move them to another folder. Just save the last few workouts.

On a PC the files are located at C:\Users\computer username\AppData\Roaming\GARMIN\Devices\Device Number\History.  I'm not sure where they are on a Mac, but the directory names are probably similar.

Note that the folder names in italics are specific to your computer and Garmin device.
2011-02-28 10:00 PM

User image

Cincinnati
I think I found the file that is preventing me from doing an upload to BT.  I found the file on my Mac in my main Hard Drive, Library, Application Support, Garmin folder.  The name of the file is "??DefaultDeviceSettings.xml". 

I'm attaching an image showing the code for that file. I can see where there is a "FALSE" statement that I need to change to "TRUE."  However, I do not know how to edit an .xml file.  I tried using a program called TextEdit, but it would not accept any changes and I was forced to close the document without any changes. 

I will attach a screenshot showing the lines of code - and you can see that I've highlighted the word "FALSE" where I think I need to change it to "TRUE".  Can you help me figure out how to make that change?

(Garmin code .png)

Attachments
----------------
Garmin code .png (25KB - 22 downloads)
2011-03-01 8:08 PM
in reply to: #3376647

User image

Champion
Fairport, NY
webster84 - 2011-02-28 11:00 PM I think I found the file that is preventing me from doing an upload to BT.  I found the file on my Mac in my main Hard Drive, Library, Application Support, Garmin folder.  The name of the file is "??DefaultDeviceSettings.xml". 

I'm attaching an image showing the code for that file. I can see where there is a "FALSE" statement that I need to change to "TRUE."  However, I do not know how to edit an .xml file.  I tried using a program called TextEdit, but it would not accept any changes and I was forced to close the document without any changes. 

I will attach a screenshot showing the lines of code - and you can see that I've highlighted the word "FALSE" where I think I need to change it to "TRUE".  Can you help me figure out how to make that change?

Changing that won't affect uploads to BT. It's the setting for automatically uploading workouts into Garmin Training Center.

Did you find the History folder? It should contain a large number of .tcx files.
2011-03-02 9:40 AM

User image

Cincinnati
Mike, I did a search but was NOT able to locate any files ending with .tcx on my mac.  It could be that the .tcx is a "hidden" part of the file name.  Also, I did try your PC instructions and attempted to find anything similar on my mac, but it didn't help either.

Is there anyone out there using a mac that can help me locate that file?

My uploads are all working correctly with my Garmin Connect webpage....it's just the upload to BT that no longer works.
2011-03-02 9:50 AM

User image

Pro
Olney, MD
I'm not at my Mac so I'm trying to do this from memory

Library>Application Support>Garmin> your specific Garmin device >History

2011-03-02 10:52 AM

User image

Cincinnati
Thank you Hillslugger.  I'm attaching an image of those files.  Am I supposed to open one of those files and modify it? 

(Screen shot 2011-03-02 at 11.51.36 AM.png)

Attachments
----------------
Screen shot 2011-03-02 at 11.51.36 AM.png (44KB - 16 downloads)
2011-03-02 11:07 AM

User image

Pro
Olney, MD
No folder within Garmin with the name or code for your device and no folder in there called history?
2011-03-02 2:35 PM

User image

Cincinnati
No folder called history.  That's why I took a screenshot.
Weird, huh?
2011-03-02 2:42 PM

User image

Pro
Olney, MD
I think there are actually two Library folders. Again, trying from memory:

Click on the Finder icon in your dock, this should open a new window
Click on your user icon
Click on Library
Click on Application Support
Click on Garmin
Should see some folder that references your device by name or serial number; in this folder there should be a history folder with all of you individual workout files.

If this doesn't work, I'll have to verify the path when I'm home tonight.

Nicole
2011-03-02 7:49 PM

User image

Pro
Olney, MD
OK, looking at this from home:

Finder icon in Dock>your home icon>Library>Application Support>Garmin>Devices>your device's SN>History

I hope this helps.

2011-03-02 8:42 PM

User image

Cincinnati
Hallelujah - I found the file!
Thank you for your incredible perseverance.  I have deleted all last year's files and I hope that makes the difference.  I plan to try it tomorrow morning after my workout.
Again, thank you so VERY much!
2011-03-04 8:24 AM
in reply to: #3376077

User image

Expert
Albuquerque, NM
marmadaddy - 2011-02-28 2:39 PM

For the 310xt, Garmin Communicator pulls the files from the device and stores them in a folder on your PC. If the number of these files gets too large Communicator stalls. The fix is to reduce the number of files in that directory. If you want to save them, just move them to another folder. Just save the last few workouts.

On a PC the files are located at C:\Users\computer username\AppData\Roaming\GARMIN\Devices\Device Number\History.  I'm not sure where they are on a Mac, but the directory names are probably similar.

Note that the folder names in italics are specific to your computer and Garmin device.

Thanks - this fixed my problem!

However, I found the files on my PC at:
C:\Documents and Settings\user\Application Data\GARMIN\Devices\device number\History
New Thread
Site Issues Training Log & Site Support » Garmin upload issue - worked previously but no longer uploading Rss Feed