General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Beach2Battleship Half Iron Distance Triathlon : Official Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2011-02-28 10:39 AM

User image

Expert
Tyrone, Georgia
Subject: Beach2Battleship Half Iron Distance Triathlon : Official Thread
Just signed up for this race over the weekend.  Looking forward to a good race in a warmer climate in October.  Anyone else already in? 

2011-02-28 7:00 PM
in reply to: #3375447

User image

Expert
Near Tampa
Subject: RE: Beach2Battleship Half Iron Distance Triathlon : Official Thread
uhm,  I'm not in but I looked into it and it seems very intersting. 
2011-04-25 2:38 PM

User image

Expert
Raleigh
I'm in. Did the full last year. Stoked for the half. It's on my birthday!
2011-04-25 3:12 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
In front of computer when typing this.

dandr614 - 2011-02-28 11:39 AM Just signed up for this race over the weekend.  Looking forward to a good race in a warmer climate in October.  Anyone else already in? 

Don't be too sure about being overly warm Smile I bet it will be warmer than Maryland, but last year (Nov 13) it was about 40 at race start. It was GREAT the rest of the day (about 65 during the bike...chilly at night). Awesome race though.

2011-04-30 2:33 PM

User image

Regular
Raleigh, NC
just signed up for the half!.. never done a triathlon before and wish to cross off a Full next year so guessed id start with a half this year.. going to try and do a couple of olympics in the summer.. nervous but super excited at same time!.. good luck all
2011-05-04 7:19 AM
in reply to: #3465059

User image

Expert
Tyrone, Georgia
louiskie - 2011-04-25 4:12 PM

dandr614 - 2011-02-28 11:39 AM Just signed up for this race over the weekend.  Looking forward to a good race in a warmer climate in October.  Anyone else already in? 

Don't be too sure about being overly warm Smile I bet it will be warmer than Maryland, but last year (Nov 13) it was about 40 at race start. It was GREAT the rest of the day (about 65 during the bike...chilly at night). Awesome race though.

I will definitely take that as the high here today is showing 40F with snow expected again tonight, lol

2011-05-11 9:11 AM

So my biggest concern for this race is temperature. I only have a sleeveless wetsuit. Is that reasonable for this event?
2011-05-11 2:32 PM
in reply to: #3493241

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

rgreer - 2011-05-11 10:11 AM So my biggest concern for this race is temperature. I only have a sleeveless wetsuit. Is that reasonable for this event?

It really depends on you.  I wore a sleeveless last year for the HIM with no problems.  My feet got very cold on the run to T1 but that would have happened with a full sleeved suit too!  The main thing that I noticed is that when I started on the bike, my feel felt like there was balled up sock under it.  I just said to myself, "If this is still bothering me halfway through the ride, I can stop and pee and fix my sock."  Well, it stopped bugging me after about an hour and by the time I got to the run, I realized that it was just that my feet were cold.  Oh, and I stopped to pee at T2.  ;-)

I'm doing the full IM this year and I am considering a full sleeve wetsuit for that.  I just figure 2x longer in the water...  Of course I think that it won't really be 2x longer in the water since 2010 was a slack tide and I think that we'll have some push for this year's event. 

2011-06-21 6:07 AM

User image

Regular
Raleigh, NC
Week 2 of my HIM plan for me now, got my first tri, Traingle Sprint Triathlon in a couple of weeks, cant wait!... I'm thinking of nothing else......
Did my first group rode on Sunday with Inside-Out Delta Team, 46 miles, furthest i have ever ridden, but I'm realizing that i shall be encountering many 'firsts' for me on this journey..

How is everyone else's training going for the HIM??

Anyone in the North Raleigh area?
2011-06-21 12:33 PM

User image

Veteran
Bessemer, AL
16.5 weeks out! I cannot wait!! How's everybody's training coming along? I just did a 25 mile bike ride this morning and feel great! Smile
2011-06-21 12:40 PM
in reply to: #3560191

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

rach_1623 - 2011-06-21 1:33 PM 16.5 weeks out! I cannot wait!! How's everybody's training coming along? I just did a 25 mile bike ride this morning and feel great! Smile

So far so good!  I did the Tour de Cure earlier this month so I've been bike focused.  Now I'm getting more into the all three sports swing of things. 

I'm so glad that I got my run in this morning.  Winds have changed and we are getting smoke from fires that are burning in the Outer Banks (150+ miles away) and Fayetteville (60+ miles away).  I hope that it clears up in the next 24 hours -- group ride tomorrow night.

2011-06-28 2:15 PM
in reply to: #3560191

User image

Veteran
Bessemer, AL

rach_1623 - 2011-06-21 12:33 PM 16.5 weeks out! I cannot wait!! How's everybody's training coming along? I just did a 25 mile bike ride this morning and feel great! Smile

Haha! Just realized that the 16.5 week mark that I posted here was WAY off!! Woops!! Actually just under 18 weeks now. Still pumped though! Eating super duper clean and following my plan. I've got a couple of races coming up starting the weekend after this - a 5k, a sprint, and an oly. Lovin it!

2011-07-02 9:56 AM

User image

Evans, GA

I'm in!  This will be my first half.  I thought with the salt water, wetsuit, swimming with the current and a flat bike course it would be a good race to be my first 70.3.  And the temps should be cool too.  I don't do well in the heat. 

Any recommendations on where to stay that's most convenient to the transition areas?

2011-07-03 9:33 AM
in reply to: #3578140

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area
ricker9 - 2011-07-02 10:56 AM

I'm in!  This will be my first half.  I thought with the salt water, wetsuit, swimming with the current and a flat bike course it would be a good race to be my first 70.3.  And the temps should be cool too.  I don't do well in the heat. 

Any recommendations on where to stay that's most convenient to the transition areas?

Hilton.  There is a bus from the Hilton to T1 for athletes.  There is also a shuttle from T2 to the Hilton (for everyone).  The Hilton is also near the expo.

2011-07-29 9:02 PM

User image

Veteran
Richmond
I signed up this week!  I did it last year and it was a great race venue, the community really supports the athletes.  Looking forward to a return trip.
2011-07-30 5:36 PM

New user
Hilton Head Island

l signed up as well. Really liked the course last year. Unfortunately l had an ulcer problem and could not take any water or gels or anything in after about 10 miles on the bike. Rode sitting straight up. Lots of wind resistance. Had to stop at port o let. Then walked 11 plus miles.

Stomach woes are mostly worked out. Now hope to take about 2 hours off last year's time.

Also really hope that we have the current that we were promised last year that never materialized.

Alos hope for warmer weather. Feet were numb coming out. Hurt to run to T1.

2011-07-31 2:58 PM
in reply to: #3621958

User image

Veteran
Richmond
bubbahhi - 2011-07-30 5:36 PM

l signed up as well. Really liked the course last year. Unfortunately l had an ulcer problem and could not take any water or gels or anything in after about 10 miles on the bike. Rode sitting straight up. Lots of wind resistance. Had to stop at port o let. Then walked 11 plus miles.

Stomach woes are mostly worked out. Now hope to take about 2 hours off last year's time.

Also really hope that we have the current that we were promised last year that never materialized.

Alos hope for warmer weather. Feet were numb coming out. Hurt to run to T1.

I agree, hopefully the water temps will be warmer this year.  The run to T1 was the least enjoyable part of the race for me.  A mat would have been nice to run on, at least for part of the way and over the asphalt.  I mean, how hard would it be to put down an old strip of carpet.

2011-08-05 1:22 PM

New user

I'm going to be in Wrightsville Beach in a couple of weeks.  Never swam in the channel so would like to get some practice.  Any recommendations for safe ways to do some practice swims?
2011-08-05 5:03 PM
in reply to: #3630827

User image

Master
Canton, Michigan
Zelmo - 2011-08-05 2:22 PM I'm going to be in Wrightsville Beach in a couple of weeks.  Never swam in the channel so would like to get some practice.  Any recommendations for safe ways to do some practice swims?

You would need to pay attention to the tides which could dictate which way you would want to swim, so a point to point swim may be necessary unless you hit the point near high or low tide and the current is slack and you can do an out and back.

The day before the 2009 event, we swam from near the Blockade Runner Hotel to the marina where you exit the water.  Of course this was November not summer time so boat traffic wasn't an issue and parking was easy.  I'm sure those could both be issues during the crazy summer months.
2011-08-07 10:51 PM
in reply to: #3630827

User image

Veteran

Zelmo - 2011-08-05 2:22 PM I'm going to be in Wrightsville Beach in a couple of weeks.  Never swam in the channel so would like to get some practice.  Any recommendations for safe ways to do some practice swims?

+1 on timing your practice swim to suit the tide.  Remember plan B, if you cramp or get exhausted, just swim to a dock, don't fight the tide.

For a "safe way" the best would be rent a kayak and have a friend paddle along.  Also there's less boat traffic on weekdays than weekends, and less in mornings than afternoons.  

You might tow a beach ball, just tie it on a 10 ft string and around your waist, cheap bouy.  Wear a bright yellow or orange or neon green swim cap.  The beach ball will be enough visual attraction for boaters.  Once they see that, they'll then see you.

Oh, and don't think you must swim "in the channel".  There's plenty of water just outside the channel.  Sight on the markers, but stay just outside.  "Red on the right returning" means the right hand side of the channel is marked with red markers as you progress in the direction from the larger body of water (the ocean) to the smaller body of water (the sound), which is also indicated by the numbers on the markers increasing, which is also the direction of the swim from Wrightsville Beach to the causeway island.  The first (or last) channel marker out in the ocean at the entrance to the inlet is #1 or #2 and they count up as you "return" from the sea. 

Bon voyage!

Edited by AtlantaBill 2011-08-07 11:00 PM
2011-08-09 1:41 PM

User image

Regular
Alpharetta, GA

Hi All, Just signed up for the Half. Finished FL 70.3 in May (first HIM) and was planning on Augusta 70.3 but the heat has become an issue and thought B2B would provide a nice climate change to round out the year (and add several weeks of cooler weather here in Atlanta to train).

I read the prior threads -

Cold swim:  Any wetsuit thoughts? I plan to rent one from wetsuitrental.com

Flat bike: Summer bike gloves, yes? 

Gentle run:  ??

Any hints to make the event more comfortable? I will definitely bring a disposable long-sleeve shirt in the morning for pre-swim wait. I will also rethink my nutrition plan as my sweat rate will be a lot less than FL 70.3 and training in Atlanta during the hot summer. Guess I'll pack a long-sleeve in my transition bag for post-race. What else?

As for training, I melted after a 30 mile bike/4 mile run brick yesterday. Really pissed, seeing that I did FL 70.3 just a few months ago. Orlando topped out at 84 degrees or so, but still!

That brick, plus the endless stories about athletic heat exhaustion in in ATL, convinced me to change from Augusta to B2B. I'll now have more time to build and recover, deal with the heat, and mend a nagging glutes that's leftover from FL 70.3. As a 48 year-old age-grouper, I find that injuries don't heal as fast as they used to.  

Managed to get into the Hilton. Happy to see from a prior post that there are shuttles. How is the Ironman Village? Any suggestions for pre-race dinner spots or post-race celebrations?

Jonny

2011-08-09 2:06 PM
in reply to: #3636125

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area
jbjb110 - 2011-08-09 2:41 PM

Cold swim:  Any wetsuit thoughts? I plan to rent one from wetsuitrental.com

Yes, you'll want a wetsuit for sure.  Water temperature should be in the mid 60s.  Air temperature will be colder.

Flat bike: Summer bike gloves, yes? 

Yes, I'd want gloves.  It will be cold to start the bike.  Maybe low 40s?  You may also want arm warmers.

Gentle run:  ??

Not so much.  The run starts and the battleship, then you go over two bridges, run out to the park (two small hills on the way there), turn around and run back.  That's four bridge crossings for the half.  I wanted my mommy when I hit that fourth bridge last year!

Any hints to make the event more comfortable? I will definitely bring a disposable long-sleeve shirt in the morning for pre-swim wait. I will also rethink my nutrition plan as my sweat rate will be a lot less than FL 70.3 and training in Atlanta during the hot summer. Guess I'll pack a long-sleeve in my transition bag for post-race. What else?

You will have a bag that you take to the swim start.  You can have your LS T for the swim start and get it back at the end of the race.  I'd also bring a gallon size zip lock bag for the bike.  Put it under your tri top and then drop it at the first water station.  The T1 transition run is l-o-n-g and you will be cold.  Wearing a vest on the bike would have been to much for me.  The zip lock bag worked well.

2011-08-10 4:02 PM
in reply to: #3636125

User image

Master
Canton, Michigan
jbjb110 - 2011-08-09 2:41 PM

Managed to get into the Hilton. Happy to see from a prior post that there are shuttles. How is the Ironman Village? Any suggestions for pre-race dinner spots or post-race celebrations?

Jonny

I really wish they could make the finish line in the downtown area for a more festive feel.  There's no real race village since everything they set up is pretty much at the Battleship.  When I was done with the full it was quite chilly but my clothes from the start where sitting with my bike, my sweatshirt and sweat pants were nice to put back on.  Otherwise I only had arm warmers that I used on the bike, besides that I used what I normally would for runs here, but I'm used to cooler conditions being from Michigan.  Some of the southern folks had quite a bit of clothing on.
 There didn't seem like there was much going on at the finish and I didn't really feel like standing so we went back to our rental house which is on the run course and cheered folks on.  We had plenty of beer and a nice place to sit.  That's where I felt like I missed out on cheering and seeing some of the folks I met there from BT.  If the finish line was in the downtown area it would've been easy to get cleaned up and head back there without dealing with the shuttles again.  Lines for the shuttles were pretty bad for half athletes as some would walk with all there stuff back across the bridges.  Maybe that's been improved since 2009.  

Maybe the Hilton, since there will be more athletes there will have more of a party feel to it.  I didn't notice anything special when the trolley dropped of us there after leaving the finish area.

We stayed for a few days in the area and had good meals at the Pilot House on the river, Front Street Brewery, and the Dock Street Oyster Bar to name a few.  All easy walking distance from the Hilton.  There are a lot of bars in the Downtown area if you don't like one finish your drink and walk down any street there will be another, we hit several on Monday after the race and were surprised to find some with live entertainment.  Plus Wilmington has a free trolley that cruises around downtown in a big loop, so getting around and staying off your feet is pretty easy before the race.
2011-08-21 4:33 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Apparently there may be a change to the bike course for the half.  Someone I know in Wilmington said that this is the new course. 

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/105017150#.TkFkjfQFdQY.facebook

Instead of doing and out and back on Blueberry Road, this version takes Blueberry until it ends at 210.  The half course goes to the right (full goes to the left) and after about 3 miles, hits 421.

Edited by jmkizer 2011-08-21 4:33 PM
2011-08-24 7:13 PM
in reply to: #3652741

User image

Veteran
Richmond
jmkizer - 2011-08-21 4:33 PM

Apparently there may be a change to the bike course for the half.  Someone I know in Wilmington said that this is the new course. 

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/105017150#.TkFkjfQFdQY.facebook

Instead of doing and out and back on Blueberry Road, this version takes Blueberry until it ends at 210.  The half course goes to the right (full goes to the left) and after about 3 miles, hits 421.

Thanks for the heads up on the bike course change. 

Anyone have elevation for the run?

New Thread
General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Beach2Battleship Half Iron Distance Triathlon : Official Thread Rss Feed  

of 2