The Cowtown
75F / 24C
Overcast
Total Time = 2h 44m 4s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Wahooo it's mah birthday race! Third year coming to Ft. Worth for this race - this year I made the trip with Amber (InnerAthlete) and we had a blast!

I was originally registered for the Ultra distance but injured myself in Dec/Jan and didn't run for about 6 weeks (sad face! I know!). So I switched to the half, knowing I even had no business doing that one. But I'm in this series for the medals, and plus it's my birthday weekend. Who cares if I'm a little sore after. Heh.

So we drove down Friday night (and in OKC I realized I forgot my ENTIRE WALLET! That was fun.), slept in Saturday, did packet pickup/Expo, back to hotel for a nappy nap, out to dinner (where we ate OUTSIDE! So lovely!) and then to bed. Nice day.

Up at 4:15 a.m. Sunday morning, caught the 5:15 a.m. shuttle to the race site. LOVED this race start change as athletes were able to sit inside out of the wind, use indoor potties, eat breakfast (Clif bar for me) and just relax before the race. Perfect.
Event warmup:

Nada! Walking from the expo building, dropping off the drop bag, and standing at the start line. Forever.
Run
  • 2h 44m 4s
  • 13.2 miles
  • 12m 26s  min/mile
Comments:

Couldn't figure out why the race start was so late, but off we go! I was glad Amber started back in my Coral and wanted to run with me as long as I could. What a great friend!

Since my running had been fairly nonexistant since January (longest run I'd done was 3 miles) I wasn't expecting much. I knew I could fake it until mile 6, but after that it was anyone's guess. Amber and I chugged along, chatting and having a great time. I saw a few people around mile 3 I was REALLY hoping I wouldn't run into, but we just passed them and that was that. No biggie.

I had to pee, bad. But every porta stop had a line of like 15 people! So I just kept going. At mile 6 I told Amber I was going to walk, that I was so proud of her, and I would see her in 25 miles. Off she went, and I was a tiny bit sad. I only walked for a few minutes - took the opportunity to take off my arm warmers and start my iPod. Good music, it made me start runnign again.

It was so steamy out there - so humid. My hair was completely wet and I was generally gross, but it was such a welcome change from the 25-degree frozen over Kansas, I really couldn't complain. It actually felt pretty good :)

I was walking the aid stations but generally running the rest - slowly, but running! I finally stopped to pee at the mile 8 aid station - with waiting and going, it took me just over 3 minutes. I felt lots better after that.

Mile 10 was the split where the half marathoners go right and full/ultra goes left. I got pretty sad right there. I was supposed to be going left. I wanted to go left. But I got injurred and had to go right this year. Then I got mad at myself for being upset. I said "LISA!! You are healthy, you are here, and you are RUNNING!" It's true. I immediately changed my attitude to be thankful I was out here and have the opportunity to do this kind of stuff.

The last 3 miles I started taking more walk breaks, I knew I would. But it was so much FUN! I was smiling and high-fiving the kiddos and taking picutres (yep I ran with my camera) and all kinds of stuff. What a fun race.

Into the finish chute with lots of people and cheers! I like the new finish location, too. Very cool. Good race!
What would you do differently?:

Not get injured in January. Otherwise I really surprised myself in how much I was able to run!
Post race
Warm down:

Got my medal (the ONLY reason I did this race!), shirt, food, coffee (I was cold), drop bag, went potty, then hung out at the finish line for a few hours.

Saw Amber come in (5:35 for the Ultra!), found her, and we headed out of town.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Injury in January.

Event comments:

Fun race! I like the new start/finish locations, but they need more aid stations, PowerAid at all of them, and for the tracking texts to work.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2011-02-16 12:00 AM
Running
02:44:04 | 13.2 miles | 12m 26s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Below average
Course:
Keeping cool Below average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? No
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2011-02-28 11:29 AM

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member
Subject: The Cowtown - Half Marathon

2011-02-28 12:19 PM
in reply to: #3375567

User image

Expert
Grapevine, Texas
Subject: RE: The Cowtown - Half Marathon
I think I saw you and your friend...unless there were other gals there in similar cowprint suits!  I had the opposite thoughts at the marathon/half split and even told the guy saying 1/2 to the right "you got that right!".   Glad you had fun and got your medal!  Complete the medal series is the top priority .
2011-02-28 1:02 PM

User image

Elite
Whispering Pines, North Carolina
Way to get out there, run when you could, know when to walk, and (most importantly) have fun! W00T!
2011-03-02 7:38 PM

User image

Expert
Stafford, Ks

Awesome race report! Kuddos to you for even going to do what you did! I noticed on said persons page that they did this race/run also. Wondered if you crossed paths, guess so. Anyway CONGRATS and keep up the good work.

2011-03-02 9:30 PM

User image

Champion
Dallas, TX
Congrats on getting it done lady!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » The Cowtown - Half Marathon Rss Feed