General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Nautica Malibu Triathlon vs. LA Triathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2011-02-28 1:36 PM

User image

Santa Clarita
Subject: Nautica Malibu Triathlon vs. LA Triathlon
Just looking for opinions from people that have run both.  I am leaning toward the Nautica Triathlon, but I would like to get more input from folks.  BTW, this will be my first Olympic length race.

2011-02-28 1:45 PM
in reply to: #3375848

User image

Master
Westlake Village , Ca.
Subject: RE: Nautica Malibu Triathlon vs. LA Triathlon
Well....Nautica stays at the beach...swim is at Zuma, bike is up PCH and run is on the paths at Zuma. Great atmosphere and organization.  Course is fantastic.

LA Tri is a point to point race...so logistically it is more challenging. Bike course is from Santa Monica to downtown LA and it very similar to Nautica in toughness. The run is downtown and is a with a massive hill that you have to go up twice. It is a super tough run.

LA has more of that big race flare with a huge finishing chute that is located right next to Staples Center. They get far more big name pro's at LA if that sort of stuff matters to you. Nautica has some celeb's and a fantastic course and is much easier to deal with on race day. Both are great races IMO.
2011-02-28 7:46 PM

User image

Santa Clarita
I'm still new at all this, so the path of least resistance is my best option for now.  Nautica it is.
2011-03-01 10:22 AM

User image

Champion
Northridge, California

You'll enjoy it.  I'm doing Malibu for the fifth year in a row...fourth time for the "Classic" (did the Olympic distance last year).

There are actually plenty of big name pros out there on Saturday if you want to go out and watch some of the Olympic race before picking up your packet for the sprint in the afternoon...makes for a nice way to spend a Saturday at the beach actually (while getting a feel for the logistics of your race the next day).

2011-03-01 11:11 AM

User image

Santa Clarita
Thanks for everyone's input.  I registered for the International / Olympic length Nautica race on Saturday.  Hope to see everyone there.
2011-03-20 2:11 PM

User image

New user

LA county
I've done Nautica for the last 5 years (classic) and the there are approximately 5 climbs (10 in total coming in and out) With the last hill before the turnaround as the steepest. I'm doing the international distance this year following up with the LA tri international too. Nautica definitely has the big celebrity factor going on and isn't it already full?

2011-03-20 5:04 PM
in reply to: #3377274

User image

Veteran
SoCal

tcovert - 2011-03-01 10:22 AMThere are actually plenty of big name pros out there on Saturday if you want to go out and watch some of the Olympic race before picking up your packet for the sprint in the afternoon...makes for a nice way to spend a Saturday at the beach actually (while getting a feel for the logistics of your race the next day).

I'm going to vote for Malibu as well.  Personally, the point to point sounds good, but for people who are supporting you, it is a bit of a hassle i.e paying for parking and etc.  I enjoyed Malibu's course much more than LA's IMO.  But I do think you should eventually do both because that hill at the LA tri is  a fun experience.  

2011-03-21 5:58 PM

New here,was looking forward to doing the Malibu classic distance for the first time<missed it last year was over seas with the military.The classic sold out in like 3hrs,so I will probably end up doing the La(Sprint)......looking forward to my first tri!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Nautica Malibu Triathlon vs. LA Triathlon Rss Feed