Water, coffee, Clif Bar.
Event warmup:

None. I had run 12.4 the day before.
Run
  • 2h 09m 5s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 09m 51s  min/mile
Comments:

My first EVER! We parked a few blocks away and wandered towards the start corrals. I was really excited because Ken, the fun pacer with the music, was doing the 2:10 goal group (9:55 pace). My plan was to start with the 2:20s, but I liked Ken and I felt ok! I ran the first five miles with Erin. It was crowded at the start! They sent us around a corner and over a one lane bridge right after we started. Some creative running (and maybe cutting a few people off) and we were 10:30 for the first mile. GPS watches with set pace goals were beeping everywhere. We were still close to the pace group, and as the course opened up, we made up some time. Mile 2 was around 10:00, then mile 3 was 9:30! By mile 4, things had opened up a bit and we were back on pace. The first few miles were rough. My hip was sore, but that vanished by mile 5. After mile 5, we were back on the same out-and-back route all of the other races were on. I also barely glanced at my watch. I was with the pace group, and I had started about 10-15 seconds after them, so I was golden. There was a lot of complaining about paces being off by people with GPS watches! I was annoyed, because if you have one of those, you don’t need the pacer. Go do what you want. Ken was a touch fast at times, but he’d make it up at water stations. I don’t remember hitting mile 6, but at mile 6.5, someone annouced we were halfway!

At mile 7, I was still with the group, but starting to get tired. At that point, I knew I’d make it near 10min/miles, and I wasn’t worried. I had my Clif Shot at the water station at mile 8 and waited for it to kick in! Course support was awesome. There were high school bands, cheerleaders, XC teams, and spectators everywhere. It was a really fun crowd! The turn around was just before mile 9. On the route back, all of the water stations had sprinklers. Our pace group mostly stayed together, though I’m sure we dropped a few. We had a lot of first-timers, which was cool. I wasn’t alone! At mile 10, I remember thinking that I only had a 5k left. Just after mile 11, we passed the 5k timing mat for the 8k (they were calling it the 5+3k and giving 5k splits) – that meant under 2 miles to go! Right around mile 12.5, Bruce Springsteen’s Born to Run came on Ken’s playlist, followed by Weezer’s Buddy Holly. I was home free! I can’t wait for pictures to be posted. Ken and I ran through the big photo spot together, before I pushed a little for the last 1/4 mile or so.
Post race
Warm down:

Walk, stretch, prep for the 8k

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Running 15k and 5k races the day before, and knowing I still had an 8k afterward!

Last updated: 2010-09-27 12:00 AM
Running
02:09:05 | 13.1 miles | 09m 51s  min/mile
Age Group: 165/401
Overall: 2351/4824
Performance:
Course: Across a bridge, around Davis Island, then out and back along Bayshore
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5