B.A. Event Promotions
32F / 0C
Precipitation
Total Time = 1h 27m 44s
Overall Rank = 86/2684
Age Group = Clydes 190-210
Age Group Rank = 5/49
Pre-race routine:

Not an ideal prerace for me. It started the day before when my girlfriend told me it was her sister's birthday so we were going out to eat at a Brazilian steakhouse. Normally I'm a pasta guy the night before, but the place we went to is a high end all you can eat meat place. It was a cool place and I'd love to go back another time, but wasn't what I was looking for the night before a race. They did have a salad bar so I did eat mostly salad.

I did get home at a descent hour and got a good night's sleep which was nice.

Race morning, I met Nancy right off the highway and we were pretty much on time at that point. However, it was snowing pretty good and the roads were in pretty bad shape. We then headed to Boston to pickup Chad and we ended taking a wrong turn in the city because the GPS lost its signal which cost us about 15 minutes. We picked up Chad and I still thought we'd be OK on time until we got off the highway and the traffic was brutal. Luckily since we had 3 people in the car, we were able to park in a car pool lot that was very close to the start.

We then headed inside to get our numbers. At that point, we were a little behind schedule, but I still thought we'd be ok because the race wouldn't start on time. However, when we got inside we found out you had to find your number on a list that was in this little corner with tons of people trying to find their numbers as well. Would highly recommend that make that info available online in the future. Once we got our numbers we headed back to the car real quick. We had jogged to and from the car and I had to go to the bathroom really bad. I wanted to suck it up, but there was no way I could run a good race without some relief. So Nancy and I waited in line to go to the bathroom. By the time I got out of the bathroom the race had already been going for 6-7 minutes! Yikes!
Event warmup:

Just jogging in and out of the hotel to get my number and freaking out a little bit as the race was going on and I was sitting in the bathroom line. :)
Run
  • 1h 27m 44s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 06m 42s  min/mile
Comments:

So to start the race, I was a bit flustered to say the least. I was planning to start the race towards the front. However, that obviously didn't happen.
As you can see from my splits, I came out way too fast and did a 6:00 first mile. When that happened, I was a little shocked because I didn't feel like I was going that fast, but def was not happy and asked myself what the heck was I doing!? Part of the problem with getting off to a late start is I had to pass all the slower runners. In the end, I must have passed at least 2500 people, probably a lot more considering the marathon and 10K people were out there as well. I had to run on the side walks and in the snow some places to get around people. This was obviously less than ideal, but things opened up as the race went on.

At the first mile being way too fast, I did settle in. However, my HR was already at around 174-175, which was less than ideal to say the least. I did use the run walk method and ran 9:40 and then walked for 20 seconds. This worked extremely well for me. Since I was pushing very hard, it was a real mental and physical relief to have those short breaks. When I'd get tired, I would force myself to get through that interval and knew I would be rewarded with a quick speed walk. As the race went on, this became more and more important.

I really can't complain about any of the hills, but the course was actually a little bit more hilly than I expected it to be. However, I enjoy running in the cold weather, could have done without it actually snowing, but I think that helped keep me cool.

By the last few miles, I was hurting pretty bad and my HR was in the high 180's and got into the 190's. I was really looking forward to the end of the race and I just kept on pushing. I didn't have much left at the end for a kick, but I gave it everything I had.

My goal for the race was to finish in under 1:28, which I did achieve and was very happy about.
What would you do differently?:

Get to the race earlier! I've never been in that situation before and I hope not to be again. Nonetheless, I'm proud of the way I responded and I really pushed myself.

I would definitely liked to have not gone out so fast and would have preferred not to have to had to pass all those people. This probably would have made things a lot easier/less stressful for me.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around at the finish line and waited for Chad to come in while doing some light stretching. I was pretty cold at that point so we headed inside to warm up.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Having to pass so many people and coming out too fast.

Event comments:

I tied with another guy in my division for 4th, but he got 4th because his guntime was shorter than mine because he stated earlier.

Last updated: 2010-12-19 12:00 AM
Running
01:27:44 | 13.1 miles | 06m 42s  min/mile
Age Group: 5/49
Overall: 86/2684
Performance: Average
Avg HR: 181 Max HR: 194 Mile Splits: 1: 6:00 2: 6:34 3: 6:24 4: 6:34 5: 6:41 6: 6:37 7: 6:39 8: 6:53 9: 6:49 10: 6:44 11: 6:49 12: 6:42 13: 6:52
Course: scenic and relatively flat course around Hyannis, Hyannisport and Centerville.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2011-03-01 7:33 AM

User image

Expert
Bedford, NH
Subject: Hyannis Half Marathon

2011-03-01 8:58 AM
in reply to: #3376907

User image

Master
Midcoast Maine
Subject: RE: Hyannis Half Marathon
Great job - you must have been one of 50 people stuck in the porta potty line...my girl friend was sitting down right as the gun went off...I like the idea of 9:40 + 20" walk...I'll have to keep that in mind for the next one.

Congratulations!
2011-03-01 9:04 AM

User image

Expert
nice job colin! incredible effort! i would be freaking out too if i didn't start the race on time.  you must have passed tons of people though. keep up the good work. looking forward to racing you again in 2012.

2011-03-01 10:25 AM

User image

Master
Westlake Village , Ca.
Great job Colin....!!!!
2011-03-01 11:08 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Connecticut

OMgorsh Colin you crack me up.....Im really sorry though.... everyone's biggest nightmare...you've lived it and had an excellent race despite it! Congrats!!!  Next time show up early... imagine what you could do!!!!

Edited by trirific10 2011-03-01 11:08 AM
2011-03-01 2:42 PM

User image

Well done, Collin...way to overcome.

Thank you for your kind words.

Just remember..if you control the uncontrollables its all about pure performance...and that is an exilerating experience.

Good Luck and enjoy IMLP.

2011-03-01 2:51 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Medway, MA
Colin, great job pushing past all the obstacles (literally) and distractions, and still putting up a great time. I'm surprised to see that you also use the run/walk method - I thought that was only for snails like me :-) I'm definitely going to do that from now on. Cheers!!
2011-03-01 8:03 PM

Uxbridge
OK speedy.....you miss the start while waiting to pee and you still post an amazing time!!!!! Congrats on another fantastic race.
2011-03-01 9:17 PM

User image

Master
East Side of the Bay
Great race Colin!  The lines were crazy this year.  You certainly learned a lot about passing and working through a crowd.  Congrats on achieving your goal time.
2011-03-02 8:25 AM

User image

Master
Goodyear, AZ

Awesome job! Way to overcome the pre-race stress and pull out an super fast time! Was that a PR?

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Hyannis Half Marathon Rss Feed