Overcast
Total Time = 1h 00m 59s
Overall Rank = 321/606
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Woke up late. Had a coffee and a bagel.
Event warmup:

The usual stretches before I run. Going back and forth deciding what to wear. I went with a long sleeve Under Armor and a sweat shirt, a beanie type thing for my head, cycling pants and no gloves. This turned out to be perfect. I really really like the Under Armor wicking action...
Run
  • 1h 00m 59s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 09m 49s  min/mile
Comments:

I wanted to run under 10:00/mile and was hoping to finish under an hour. I ended up in the middle. I lost too much time taking on water - I should probably carry my own. Started off too fast, and then settled into a 9:45 pace for most of the race - except the for the walks. Next time I am going to schedule walks at specific intervals. Maybe 9:30, then 30 secs walk. I am pretty happy with this.

I still think back to when I started running 2 years ago - basically, I could not (and that is no exaggeration). My first tri run "pace" was 15 mins/mile, no kidding. My goal is to reach 00:50 for 10k's (maybe next year?) and be eternally happy with that. I know I can do it, it's just taking time to get there.
What would you do differently?:

I need to do some strategic thinking prior to the race. This is partly because I don't really take it all too seriously. But maybe I should spare a few minutes and actually come up with a plan.

Keep on training.
Post race
Warm down:

It was *cold*. When I picked up my Mix protein drink, the winner of the 1/2 Marathon cruised in to pick his drink up too. Um. Yikes. He was nearly twice as fast as me. Poor bugger looks like he could eat a few more hamburgers :-)

What limited your ability to perform faster:

What kind of question is this? I was f*cking *FAST*, dude.

Event comments:

Good race. It's the 2nd time I've done it, and will be back again. The only thing I did not like is that the guy on the PA system was a bit of a wanker with his attitude. My advice to him: relax, ok. We were there to have fun :-)

Last updated: 2011-03-01 12:00 AM
Running
01:00:59 | 06.21 miles | 09m 49s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 321/606
Performance: Good
http://connect.garmin.com/activity/70539134
Course: Mostly flat until the end.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Below average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2011-03-01 3:10 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Medway, MA
Subject: Hyannis 10K

2011-03-01 5:33 PM
in reply to: #3377903

Uxbridge
Subject: RE: Hyannis 10K
We did have fun!!! Congrats on a great race. ALways a good time!!!!
2011-03-01 9:23 PM

User image

Master
East Side of the Bay
Great seeing you and Mrs Blue Sky!  You have made great progress in the past 2 years.  Run-walk may be your ticket!!
2011-03-02 9:48 AM

User image

Expert
Bedford, NH
Congrats on a good race Rori!  So you're telling me you didn't have a your game plan for the race determined a couple weeks ago?  Have you gone mad?  Smile  In all seriousness, I would recommend that you think a little bit about your plan for your race.  If you have a time or any kind of goal in mind, its very difficult to get there if you don't know how you're going to get there.  The run-walk method is outstanding and that ratio should hopefully work well for you.

I see a sub 50' 10K in your future.  Want to reach that goal sooner?  Try to incorporate some speed work/intervals in your training.  I suspect it will you help increase your speed relatively quickly.

Always a pleasure to see you my friend.  Hopefully we can spend some more time together soon and definitely at Patriot!
2011-03-02 10:08 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Connecticut

Great race Rori!..that race is next to impossible to have a PR unless you are a front pack runner as there are too many people to run around push out of the way!! Heh..and I assume you read Mr. Hockeyhands race strategy...break out from the port--pottie..ha!! Now that was a GREAT plan!!

2011-03-02 6:55 PM

User image

Expert
Cambridge, MA
Awesome time, nice work!  I would expect no less from the Fastest Runner in the World.  Plan, shman.  Just plan to kick this time's next year.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Hyannis 10K Rss Feed