Premier Event Management
75F / 24C
Precipitation
Total Time = 5h 19m 5s
Overall Rank = 835/2579
Age Group = 30-34
Age Group Rank = 127/276
Pre-race routine:

Ate pasta and grilled chicken for dinner. Woke up ate a bagel with PB and tried not to throw up from my nerves. Grabbed the bus from the hotel to transition.
Event warmup:

No warm-up just wanted to get started. I had trained all summer this and the unknown was killing me.
Swim
  • 27m 9s
  • 2143 yards
  • 01m 16s / 100 yards
Comments:

Everything I had read/studied throughout the summer stated what a fast swim this was. I had high hopes for this race and was hoping to match my Olympic swim of 25:09. As soon as I jumped in I was surprised at how buoyant I was in the wetsuit. I had not had a chance to use it prior to the race. The reviews were correct the current was unbelievable. Almost immediately my goggles fogged up. I unsuccessfully defogged them prior to the start, so I gave up. My goggles would be the bane of the swim for me. I used the shore and buoys to spot from since they were the only thing I could distinctly make out. I would have loved to have seen an aerial view of my swim I know it looked a like I was drunk. I was also thrown by the size of the river moss. Some would take 3-4 strokes to get through. As I come to the finish I could hear a kayaker yelling, so I stop and she points me to the finish. Despite the fogged goggles, moss monsters and over swimming the exit, I felt I had done an OK as I left the water. My watch had 26:37
What would you do differently?:

Spray my goggles with defogger or get better ones. I think I could have matched my Olympic time had a had a better line and not over shot the exit. It is still an insanely fast swim.
Transition 1
  • 03m 58s
Comments:

My wife said I came out of the water like Godzilla. Apparently she could tell I was visibly irritated. I have a hard time going from a lateral position to upright. My HR spikes pretty high, so I try gather myself prior to putting one foot in front of the other to quickly.

The wetsuit strippers were great
Bike
  • 2h 49m 6s
  • 56 miles
  • 19.87 mile/hr
Comments:

Youtube has great videos to prepare you for the course. Augusta is a couple hours away from me so I was unable to get there prior to the race. My AG started very close to the pros, so I knew going into the bike I was going to be passed a lot and that I needed to ride my own race. This was the second time I had ever ridden in the rain and boy did it rain toward the middle of the course. My main goal was to keep my nutrition in check and listen to my body. Heed and Hammer gels got through the bike perfectly.

Not too much. I would have liked 20 MPH average for the bike. This being my first HIM I wanted to set myself up as good as possible for the run.
Transition 2
  • 02m 23s
Comments:

Felt really good coming off the bike.
Run
  • 1h 56m 29s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 08m 53s  min/mile
Comments:

I came out of T2 way too fast, by my watch the first mile was run in 7:45. There was no way I could ever hold that pace, so I forced myself to ease up. The best part of the run came when I saw my wife and daughter as I came into town. As soon as I saw them I ran over and gave my little girl a kiss. The smile on her face was just awesome. The hardest part came on the second lap as you leave town and the crowd thins out, it felt really lonely and my body really started to scream at me. Despite my aching I pushed through without ever walking (minus water stations). As I rounded the corner I could not believe the overall time and could not believe it was mine. I do not tend to be very emotional but crossing the finish line really got to me.

More body glide at friction points.
Post race
What limited your ability to perform faster:

Not knowing how my body was going to react. It took a majority of the summer to nail down my nutrition plan and I was worried about not getting it right on race day.

Event comments:

I found this race to be a lot of fun. I did not care for the space between the finish and transition area. Getting your stuff out of transition was a little chaotic for my taste. My first HIM is behind me and I can honestly say I learned a lot.

Last updated: 2011-03-02 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:27:09 | 2143 yards | 01m 16s / 100yards
Age Group: 91/276
Overall: 569/2579
Performance: Good
Suit: Xterrra Vortex 3 Sleeveless
Course: River swim with a crazy current. You can PR this no doubt.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: High
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Bad
Rounding:
T1
Time: 03:58
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
02:49:06 | 56 miles | 19.87 mile/hr
Age Group: 0/276
Overall: 0/2579
Performance: Average
Wind:
Course: The course was fair and would ride it regularly if I lived closer.
Road: Smooth Wet Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 02:23
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good