General Discussion Triathlon Talk » I can't keep on any weight! Any suggestions? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 1

2011-03-02 6:44 PM

Subject: I can't keep on any weight! Any suggestions?
Back in the high school days I swam and played water polo. I ate everything, and was pretty well built. During my first year of college I lost most of that bulk, but didn't really gain much weight - if anything I lost weight because it turned to fat. I was right around 150.

Come this year, I started on the triathlon team, and I've lost a bunch of that "water weight" and slimmed down, which I expected. I'm eating everything again, but I've run into a problem...I'm not gaining any more weight. In fact, I'm losing weight. I counted to see how many calories I'm eating in a day, and I'm averaging right around 3500. Sometimes more, but usually right around 3500. I eat really well too - loads of chicken sandwiches, fruits, vegetables, salads, rice and sauces, pastas, etc. Not to mention I drink a ton of water - around 90-110 oz/day. But even with all of this, I'm still losing weight. It's not drastic, as I'm sitting right around 143 lbs, but I'm kind of scared that I can't keep on any weight. I'm going to the gym 1-2 times a week and consume a protein supplement (GNC Wheybolic Extreme 60) afterwards. But I can see in the mirror I'm still thinning down. I know this is GREAT news for Kona enthusiasts, but I'm not there yet. I still want to bulk up a bit! Does anyone have any suggestions to things I should try to at least level out? My mom thinks I'm starving myself for the sake of competition. This is not true!!

So again, if anyone has any suggestions, I am ALL ears!

Thanks! 

2011-03-02 6:51 PM
in reply to: #3380071

User image

Master
Washington, DC Metro
Subject: RE: I can't keep on any weight! Any suggestions?
simple matter of calories in and calories out.  You've seen what your putting in, but not what your burning.  If your still losing weight then you obviously need more calories to support your daily metabolic burn (base plus exercise).

BTW, I'm sure many would love to have your problem!!  Good luck
2011-03-02 7:11 PM
in reply to: #3380080

User image

Veteran
Fayetteville, AR
 I'm sure many would love to have your problem!!  Good luck

^^this!

just add as many calories as you can*

* healthy calories, not empty ones.....try some higher good fat foods...i.e. nuts, avacados, etc... and more protein 
2011-03-02 7:12 PM

User image

How tall are you?  143 is not exactly "starving yourself" light.  At 6', you would still be considered normal weight by BMI (I know BMI is not the best way to calculate).

I wouldn't consider changing your diet unless you are fighting hunger.  It sounds like you eat a healthy mix of foods, so just eat when you're hungry. 

ETA...okay...forgot about your goal to gain weight.  Um...cookies and ice cream...LOL. 

Just realize that some people are genetically different.  Some people have much easier time putting on muscle, while others have faster metabolisms to stay thin. 

Edited by tri808 2011-03-02 7:15 PM
2011-03-02 7:35 PM

User image

Master
Sedona, AZ
Don't worry, just get older. Then you'll look back and wish you could eat like you used too...

You could eat more calorie-dense foods. Nuts, red meats, breads and other grains. I have a horrendous sweet tooth and love of junk-food so it's pretty easy for me to pack in the calories. Unfortunately they're not always the healthiest ones.
2011-03-02 8:00 PM

User image

All I can say is good luck. Last year I started training for my first half Ironman starting at a weight of 135lbs. By the time I did my half ironman I weighed 108 lbs. I've only been able to get back up to 113 lbs but thats when I'm holding water weight, otherwise, I typically run at 110 lbs. I eat everything I want and am a 5'6" female. I'm underweight according to bodyfat which I believe is at 13% maybe 14% and my goal this winter was to get back up to at least 115 lbs if not 120 lbs. but it didn't happen. I wish you the best of luck. I've just given up and embraced my new weight however, this year I'm trying to stay around 110 - 112 lbs for racing weight. 

BTW I eat mostly healthy but I also have an ice cream sandwich for dessert every night and a cookie midday. Calories in vs Calories out is something I gave up on a long time ago.  

2011-03-02 8:18 PM

Maybe have you glucose checked.
2011-03-02 8:33 PM

I haven't exactly calculated my calories out, but I have checked my blood glucose (my brother is diabetic so we have all the supplies) and I'm normal. It's just hard to fathom that NOW I'm not able to gain any weight. During swim seasons in high school, it was fairly easy to pack on some muscle - especially without the help of any protein powders. Now however it's borderline frustrating. I know running has a big part to do with it, but I didn't foresee just how much. Yeah, I pack in the occasional double-double, shake and fries from In-n-Out, and I'll have a bowl of ice cream almost every night. I eat foot-long subways like there's no tomorrow, I can easily incorporate 3 or more bagels in a day (when we have them) and I'm a huge sucker for tater-tots (or anything potato related).  Essentially, I think I'm good with getting good amounts of complex carbs, calories, and just about anything that should pack on weight on anyone else. I know GNC offers a protein powder specifically designed for triathletes, but I haven't really looked into it. Does anyone know anything about that?

Thanks for all your suggestions - I'll look into them all  
2011-03-02 9:13 PM

User image

Expert
Ann Arbor, MI
Why do you want to "bulk up a bit"? This could help other people answer your question.
2011-03-02 9:16 PM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2011-03-02 9:16 PM
in reply to: #3380198

sundiego - 2011-03-02 8:33 PM I haven't exactly calculated my calories out, but I have checked my blood glucose (my brother is diabetic so we have all the supplies) and I'm normal. It's just hard to fathom that NOW I'm not able to gain any weight. During swim seasons in high school, it was fairly easy to pack on some muscle - especially without the help of any protein powders. Now however it's borderline frustrating. I know running has a big part to do with it, but I didn't foresee just how much. Yeah, I pack in the occasional double-double, shake and fries from In-n-Out, and I'll have a bowl of ice cream almost every night. I eat foot-long subways like there's no tomorrow, I can easily incorporate 3 or more bagels in a day (when we have them) and I'm a huge sucker for tater-tots (or anything potato related).  Essentially, I think I'm good with getting good amounts of complex carbs, calories, and just about anything that should pack on weight on anyone else. I know GNC offers a protein powder specifically designed for triathletes, but I haven't really looked into it. Does anyone know anything about that?

Is your name mephistopheles?

2011-03-02 9:47 PM
in reply to: #3380247

jmot - 2011-03-02 8:16 PM
sundiego - 2011-03-02 8:33 PM I haven't exactly calculated my calories out, but I have checked my blood glucose (my brother is diabetic so we have all the supplies) and I'm normal. It's just hard to fathom that NOW I'm not able to gain any weight. During swim seasons in high school, it was fairly easy to pack on some muscle - especially without the help of any protein powders. Now however it's borderline frustrating. I know running has a big part to do with it, but I didn't foresee just how much. Yeah, I pack in the occasional double-double, shake and fries from In-n-Out, and I'll have a bowl of ice cream almost every night. I eat foot-long subways like there's no tomorrow, I can easily incorporate 3 or more bagels in a day (when we have them) and I'm a huge sucker for tater-tots (or anything potato related).  Essentially, I think I'm good with getting good amounts of complex carbs, calories, and just about anything that should pack on weight on anyone else. I know GNC offers a protein powder specifically designed for triathletes, but I haven't really looked into it. Does anyone know anything about that?

What is that supposed to mean? No it's not.

To answer the question above, I want to bulk up because I don't like being skinny, and I'd like to fit into my clothes again. Not to mention it looks good. It's not that I'm self-conscious of my body - far from it. I just like looking good for me, no one else. Should my future spouse find attraction in that as well, it's certainly a plus, but that's not what I'm aiming for.
2011-03-03 6:40 AM
in reply to: #3380278

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2011-03-03 6:57 AM
in reply to: #3380554

Extreme Veteran
if losing weight, eat more
if gaining weight, eat less
if not losing or gaining, eat the same

very easy! 
2011-03-03 7:13 AM

Champion
New York, NY
you should be checked by your physician to rule out thyroid dysfunction and diabetes (or other conditions that can cause weight loss but those 2 are the most common).

barring that I hate you.
2011-03-03 7:40 AM

Champion
Atlanta, Ga
I have the same problem that you do.  I eat everything in sight and still can't put on weight.

Bluntly...you just have to learn to eat more.  Some, like myself, are genetically gifted in that regard.  I eat like crap and my cholesteral levels are fantastic.  But I also put down about 4-5,000 calories a day.  My resting metabolic rate is ~2300 cal.  That means if I just laid in bed, I would burn 2300 calories.

You may want to get that checked so you can have an idea of what you're working with.  But thing that I do is eat lots of nuts, burgers and peanut butter. 

Yes...many people will 'hate' you, but it's just as frustrating to not be able to gain weight than it is to not be able to lose it.

2011-03-03 7:52 AM

Veteran
Elizabethtown, KY
My money's on a tapeworm.
2011-03-03 8:03 AM

Extreme Veteran
You need to look at calorie dense foods. Shakes can help you put in extra calories with much less effort than getting it through natural foods.  I personally really like Muscle Milk; it has a good portion of casein protein, which many people believe is good to take in right before bed.  Peanut butter is another really great calorie dense food.  I like Smucker's Natural Chunky Peanut Butter.

All  you can do is eat, but it's similar to a person training for a triathlon with a minimal amount of free time.  You have to make each effort count.
2011-03-03 8:25 AM

New user
Rochester NY
you're in college?  if you had anything like my metabolism, you could gorge yourself 24/7 and still not gain a pound.   I played 3 sports all thru highschool, was active duty infantry in the army, then rowed on the crew team at college.   I went thru more weight gain 3000/pasta/pizza/beer than Eric Cartman. with no result. 

It took to age 35 before I actually put on any weight.  I stopped workign out, and now travel for a living.   At 6'3" I went from 160sh to 210 in what seemed like overnight but it was less than a year.  Now on my way back down a little. 
2011-03-03 9:20 AM

Veteran
I have the same problem and people usually don't like it when I tell them that.  However, I usually only offer that up if they have condescendingly told me I look skinny or " Have you lost weight?"  Like I am sick or something.  Genetics play larage role for me, but I know I am healthier with the weight down.  All I can say is embrace it and use it to yor advantage (barring any sickness of course).  I dropped down about 5 lbs when I went gluten free right off the bat.  SO this added insult to injury, but I had to, not a choice.  I feel much better as a result.  I know I am blessed and this is the way God has made me.
2011-03-03 9:32 AM

Master
Rochester, NY
I would not worry too much unless you're under 5% body fat.  I suspect your body will find a stasis point based on the demands you're putting on it.

As another poster asked, why are you trying to gain weight?

2011-03-03 10:24 AM
in reply to: #3380278

Expert
Ann Arbor, MI
sundiego - 2011-03-02 10:47 PM

jmot - 2011-03-02 8:16 PM

What is that supposed to mean? No it's not.

To answer the question above, I want to bulk up because I don't like being skinny, and I'd like to fit into my clothes again. Not to mention it looks good. It's not that I'm self-conscious of my body - far from it. I just like looking good for me, no one else. Should my future spouse find attraction in that as well, it's certainly a plus, but that's not what I'm aiming for.

If you want to put on healthy weight because it looks good, then I suggest you incorporate more weight lifting into your training and perhaps increase your intake of lean protein. Could be wrong, but I thought you said somewhere you were at the gym 1-2 days. Like tri training, weight training takes more consistency than that for most people to see significant gains, expecially if you have a thin frame.

I have a thin frame. 5' 10" and could race at 135 as a healthy weight. If I eat a ton of food and maintain my tri workouts, I'll bulk up a bit in the legs, but mostly the weight I gain will often go to my stomach and to my face. I wil not get jacked biceps and broad shoulders, for example. I'm just not built like that.
2011-03-03 11:57 AM

Pro
three words:

Deep Fried Snickers.
2011-03-03 12:49 PM

New user
I think yeats is coming closest to what you might be looking for. I think the only question left to answer is: what are your workouts at the gym like? You may want to consider moving to more like 3 days a week at the gym and lifting quite heavy on the lifts you do. Your body will respond to what you're asking it to do, so if you're asking it to put in miles on your bike and your run, but your strength training is minimal and replicates those same requirements(light resistance for many reps), I don't see that you'll achieve what you're wanting to.

As far as eating goes, I say stick to what you're doing. It comes to a point where a person can only eat so much in a day and I think adding supplements to increase that is kind of the opposite of what we condone as a triathlete community(seeing how far our bodies can NATURALLY take us).

You could possibly look into Timothy Ferriss' book "The 4 Hour Body". Not necessarily because you're trying to shed fat like the book is designed to help with, but because the workouts he designs are meant to maximal in increasing your lean muscle. I don't have any personal experience with his program, but know a few people who have had success working with it.

Hope this helped in SOME way. Our bodies can certainly be frustrating sometimes(I have the opposite problems you do; I gain muscle quite easily, but have a really hard time with that last 10-15 pounds of chunk on my belly). Make sure you keep your cool and don't get too frustrated with yourself. Re-align with what your goals are first, then make adjustments to how you work toward them. 
2011-03-03 12:55 PM

Veteran
Brooklyn NY
If you are sleeping less or sleeping light, you should have your thyroid checked, that could factor in. I lost a lot of weight and as eating massive amounts of food, turned out it was hyper-thyroid
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » I can't keep on any weight! Any suggestions? Rss Feed  

of 1