General Discussion Race Reports! » Gasparilla Distance Classic Half Marathon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Gasparilla Distance Classic Half Marathon - RunHalf Marathon

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Tampa, Florida
United States
Gasparilla Distance Classic Association
61F / 16C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 53m 32s
Overall Rank = 1064/4801
Age Group = 40-44
Age Group Rank = 133/406
Pre-race routine:

For breakfast I had my usual bagel with Nutella and Peanut Butter and some water and I drank a bottle of water during my drive to the race.
Event warmup:

With 4K+ people running this morning I decided to use the first mile as my warm up because the start line was just a mass of people. It worked out well, by mile one people were spread out enough that I could get into a good pace.
Run
  • 1h 53m 32s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 08m 40s  min/mile
Comments:

It was a good run for me considering it was my first half marathon. (Maybe I was unrealistic to set a goal of 1:50:00, but I actually feel I did pretty good for my frst half marathon.)
What would you do differently?:

Run more long slow runs during my preperation and even though I drank water during the run I could have drank more. I did take two Hammer gels during the run.
Post race
Warm down:

After I crossed the finish line I went and had two bottles of water and walked around for a little while.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Hal Higdon's novice half marathon plan was good but I fell that I needed more long slow runs. The 10 mile long run enabled me to finish the run but I could have done better if I had a long run farther than 10 miles. I will know better for my next half. I will plan for a 14 or 15 week training plan with longer runs. I felt mysself starting to fade after mile 11.

Event comments:

When I parked my car it was 61 degrees. By the end of the run it was hot, even for february. This race has been going on for a long time so I think they have it down. Lots pf volunteers, lots of water stations, even some entertainment. (Personally I don't care for mimes, but whatever.) I didn't stick around for the post race activities, I had my two bottles of water, got my picture taken and then went home and had my second breakfast, like a hobbit.

Last updated: 2010-12-08 12:00 AM
Running
01:53:32 | 13.1 miles | 08m 40s  min/mile
Age Group: 133/406
Overall: 1064/4801
Performance: Good
Course: Very flat run course around Davis Island and down and back on Bayshore BLVD. Davis Island was nice but Bayshore BLVD got to be very tedious for me on the way back.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2011-03-03 6:11 AM

User image

Veteran
Wesley Chapel, FL
Subject: Gasparilla Distance Classic Half Marathon
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Gasparilla Distance Classic Half Marathon Rss Feed