General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Dry land equivalents to Swimming? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2011-03-04 2:13 PM

User image

New user

Subject: Dry land equivalents to Swimming?

Missed the pool this week, and wondering if anyone has a good suggestion for dry land training to keep the swim component strong?

Lifted weights and did pushups till I couldn't - but seems to lack the oomph of a good swim.

2011-03-04 2:16 PM
in reply to: #3383015

Master
Subject: RE: Dry land equivalents to Swimming?
I'm sure others may disagree but I don't think there is any really good equivalent. I'd just get back to the pool as soon as possible.
2011-03-04 2:22 PM

User image

New user

Thanks for that great info.  I hadn't thought much about the clothing - more focussed on the training and other gear. 

As for the swimming - I know you are right...but was hoping that there might be some resistance band ideas that would work.

This is my first tri.  Run and ride regularly, and can usually be found floating around in the lake - when I looked at 2011 - I knew it was time.

2011-03-05 12:43 AM

User image

Veteran
Jello wrestling?
2011-03-05 9:44 AM

User image

New user

Okay - have searched extensively, and, although you can strengthen the muscles that you use to swim, there is not an alternative to getting in the pool that delivers the same result.

Not really surprised.

2011-03-05 11:30 AM
in reply to: #3383884

Veteran

Something like a vasa-trainer for your upper body is going to be the closest thing.  Mix in a flutter kicks?

2011-03-05 11:58 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Canyon Hills (Lake Elsinore), CA
There isn't really an equivalent to make gains but something you can do on days you miss the pool so you don't loose fitness involves bands.  Youtube or google dryland swimming. 
2011-03-05 4:16 PM

User image

New user

Thanks so much.  It worked well.  "Dryland training" led to several sites that offered good ideas.  Not as an alternative - but rather as an effective cross taining mechanism. 

http://www.usaswimming.org/DesktopDefault.aspx?TabId=1890&Alias=Rainbow&Lang=en

Just got back from my swim today though.  Feels great.

2011-03-05 6:09 PM
in reply to: #3384231

User image

Expert
Lost in the Evergreens

If you break down your swim  Into component parts there are lots gym exercises your can do.  I try workout abs, chest, back, and arms whenever I'm unable to get in wet training, and sometimes it helps to get the kinks out (active recovery) after a wicked hard master swim workout.  Not just your old high school weight groups but exercises that simulate elements of the swim .  When you're doing your swim warmups try to think about which muscle are working as you warming up you should be able to feel the enage as they become to loosen up.

Starting in the middle.  Core is abs, this is where alot of the strength in your stroke comes from.  rotation of the hips is the key to power in the water.  Find some crunches that work the obilques.  Warmup with some push ups, flip over onto your back, work some crunches with your legs up and reach to your toes.  back to pushups, down, up and then rotate your core to the side and reach your left arm to the sky, down to push up, rotate onto your side and then reach your right arm to the sky. get the idea?  I think those are called T-Up's.

Having fun yet? From a seated position, raise your legs so your balanced on your glutes, bring your legs to your chest. Repeat,  Can you do this with your arms crossed your chest?  This is another variation.Lay on your side. Hold you body up on an elbow, now bring your knees to your chest, extend and repeat.  Can you do this without holding your body up with you arm, just balancing. 

Any core strength will help with your swimming.

Thinking you need some work on your catch? Do you have one of those cable pully machines with the arms that adjust.  Lots of people use this to improve golf or baseball bat swing.  Here is how you can improve your catch.  Set the machine so the arms are pointing to the sky maybe just two clicks of angle.  Put on a light weight.  protect your shoulders.  The idea is to simulate the the movement of the hand to elbow and then press down to your hips.  You cannot practice the full stroke here,  there;s no way to finish at your hip and recover but you can get a good catch workout.

Of course seated row works the lats

Look at the muscle on a collegete swimmers: chest, lats, back and abs.  There are the muscle groups you want to strengthen to improve your swim.  Of course weight training cannot eliminate the need to get a feel for the water by swimming.  But sometimes you get a kink in a muscle group swimming and need to go to the gym and work the problem out.

I hope this helps you and does not confuse to much.

Swim/Bike/Run Happy.

2011-03-05 8:16 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
ive seen people walk on a tread mill with  their hands, feet off in push up style position..
2011-03-05 11:58 PM

Back in the day we used some surgical tubing with old tennis balls on the ends as a cheap form of bands.  I travel for work and these are always in my suitcase.  Loop them around a hotel bed frame and voila- swimming.

2011-03-06 6:01 AM
in reply to: #3384306

User image

New user

This is fantastic.  I have printed your suggestions and will be keeping them in my locker in the gym.  Really great!  Thanks so much for taking the time to help.  Not only is it helpful for the swimming, the support is encouraging in the journey.  Thanks again. 

2011-03-06 6:57 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Fleetwood, PA
LadyInGear- glad you asked this question!  Lots of good info here and stuff I'll use, too!  I'm usually up at 5 getting ready for work/life and, with little ones and a wife that travels occasionally for work, I can't get to the pool a whole lot.  When I can, it's not until 9:00 at night and that isn't the best for getting the right amount of sleep.  At least there are now some swim specific strength ideas.  I ordered a set of bands a little while ago, too.
2011-03-10 5:09 PM

Glens Falls, NY
Kevin Crossman here... USAT Coach. If you do a search on BT of "Vasa Trainer" you will find a couple of reviews I have done. The Vasa Trainer & Vasa Erg are both excellent choices to maintaining, if not building swim strength. I do think actual swimming is always best, however, I have spent the past few years with minimal swim training in the pool and more time on the VE and my times have stayed or improved slightly by focusing on it. The time savings, the functionality of it...all great. Check it out: www.vasatrainer.com.

Happy Training,
  Kevin

www.t3coaching.net
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Dry land equivalents to Swimming? Rss Feed