View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Lumberton, North Carolina
United States
Total Time = 26m 48s
Overall Rank = 121/375
Age Group = 40 - 44
Age Group Rank = 3/27
Pre-race routine:

This was my very first race EVAH back in 2009 when I first learned how to run. It was basically my graduation day from the Couch to 5K program. Since then I try to do this race every year.

Last year I had a big PR at this race winning 2nd AG and nearly hyperventilated to death in the process. Of all the races I've done I rated that the hardest!
Event warmup:

No warm up, just a bit of stretching. I had no dilusions of beating last year's PR, esp. after dealing with hamstring issues, so I planned on doing this race as a fun run. I have a marathon in two weeks and I planned on doing long run after the race and didn't want to put myself out of commission.

Photobucket
Run
  • 26m 48s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 08m 37s  min/mile
Comments:

Me, Pete, Carol, and James were all doing this race from the Tri Club. Carol had hopes of placing in Master's Div, so we left her at the front of the line and Pete and I went back farther to be out of the way of the serious racers.

Photobucket

The gun sounded and we casually took off and found a pace. Pete and I stayed together through the race. He carried the camera and we chattered and he took pics along the way. We just kind of bee bopped along enjoying the scenery.

Photobucket

Afterwards, we planned on staying for Carol to get her award. We were hungry so we went to the chili cookoff while waiting for the awards ceremony. On the way back a coworker saw me and said, "Congratulations, good job!" I simply said "Thanks," thinking she just meant good job for finishing. When we got back to Carol and James they said I placed AG. I knew they were kidding and shrugged it off but they said it was true. So I went to check the results and found that I was posted as 3rd AG.

When it came time for AG awards, I was called for 1ST PLACE! Once the Master's winners were pulled out, I was bumped up to 1st AG.

Photobucket

Needless to say, I was terribly shocked and surprised. Just goes to show you that it's not always about how fast you are, it's about who else shows up that day! I swear, the races that I'm NOT at my best are the ones I place at; and the ones that I pour my heart and soul into I get nowhere close to placing! Why is that?
Post race
Warm down:

Warm down consisted of a 10 mile run on a nearby country road where I nearly got kidnapped by a van full of locals while Pete was visiting "the woods." I'll never run without pepperguard again.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Hamstring issues.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2011-02-14 12:00 AM
Running
00:26:48 | 03.11 miles | 08m 37s  min/mile
Age Group: 3/27
Overall: 121/375
Performance: Below average
Course: Fast and flat.
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2011-03-05 7:15 PM

User image

Expert
, North Carolina
Subject: Rumba on the Lumber 5K

2011-03-05 8:04 PM
in reply to: #3384365

User image

Longview, Texas
Subject: RE: Rumba on the Lumber

Very Nice, Congratulations on your AG Win!!!

Funny, my son has a Green Man Suit just like the one on the picture and almost got arrested when he tried to run across the field on his High School Football Game.

2011-03-05 8:04 PM

User image

Longview, Texas

Very Nice, Congratulations on your AG Win!!!

Funny, my son has a Green Man Suit just like the one on the picture and almost got arrested when he tried to run across the field on his High School Football Game.

2011-03-07 5:19 AM

User image

Expert
, North Carolina
LOL - yeah, I don't know what this guy was up to.  He looked like a praying mantis.
2011-03-07 7:54 AM

User image

Expert
Boston
nice job there!  Love the pics and congrats on 1st AG!  WOO HOO!
2011-03-16 6:39 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Frederick, Maryland
Nice report and great job! OMG, scary about you and the locals :-(

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Rumba on the Lumber 5K Rss Feed