Armed Services YMCA
90F / 32C
Sunny
Total Time = 39m 8s
Overall Rank = 4/865
Age Group = 30-34
Age Group Rank = 1/85
Pre-race routine:

Up at 6:15am, grabbed my bag, a Joyride bar, and a pint of milk and hit the road. Also took my normal AM supps...vit, anti-ox vit, green tea extract, Endurox Excel.
Event warmup:

About a mile easy run with a couple accelerations
Run
  • 39m 8s
  • 8 kms
  • 04m 53s  min/km
Comments:

Tough run...the deep sand is a killer and the 15ft piles they make don't help...quad killers for sure. I tried not to go out hard with the front runners since I knew they can generally outrun me on the road. I kept a close eye on my HRM trying to stay just at my LT. Good thing I held back a little early on because apparently the lead group of 5 that pulled away 100m or so got directed the wrong way in one of the trails and got off course. 2 of them eventually caught back up to me and passed me before the finish. The other 3 I can only assume would have beat me if they hadn't been screwed by the volunteers. So, although my official finish was 4th overall I should have been 7th...still 1st in my AG though. Turns out I was only 30-40seconds off the lead at the finish but because the course wound through trails and up/down dunes I didn't see them.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing...I ran my race.
Post race
Warm down:

tried not to fall down, got lots of water, had my Endurox, then went for the beer and pizza.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

The only thing that was holding me back was the heat and lack of training in the sand.

Event comments:

This is a really good rce...lots of fun and not the typical road race. They always have lots of water, pizza, beer, and fruit at the finish. It also supports a good cause. I was a little bummed that they used the same shirt design as last year though.

Last updated: 2005-03-25 12:00 AM
Running
00:39:08 | 08 kms | 04m 53s  min/km
Age Group: 1/85
Overall: 4/865
Performance: Good
HRavg - 176, HRmax - 187. My LT is 176 so I ran right on the edge for the course as a whole but I actually spent 58% of my time in Zones 5a, 5b, and 5c (all above LT). They didn't have mile markers so I don't have any split times.
Course: This is a very challenging race held on Naval Amphibius Base Little Creek each year to support the Armed Services YMCA. The course is different every year and since it's on such variable terrain (10% packed sand, 15% hard surfaces, 75% deep soft sand) through all kinds of trails and over various obstacles it isn't measured very accurately. It is advertised as an 8k+. In addition to the natural sand dunes the local Sea Bees (military construction types) plow up huge piles of sand and dig mud pits along the way tarted with about 1/2 mile down the beach and then turned into the dunes and trails. I think I counted 3 mud pits, one 5ft wall, 2 crawling obstacles, 8 10-15ft sand mounds, and 3-5 big natural sand dune hills...all connected together with mostly deep soft sandy trails with lots of tire ruts.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2005-08-13 6:13 PM

User image

Pro
Virginia Beach, VA
Subject: ASYMCA Mud Run

2005-08-13 7:06 PM
in reply to: #224663

User image

Regular
Philadelphia
Subject: RE: ASYMCA Mud Run
Impressive!  Especially on a such a tough course.
2005-08-13 9:52 PM

User image

Elite
Bay Area, CA
Subject: RE: ASYMCA Mud Run

That is awesome, and sounds like a lot of fun.  Really good job!

2005-08-14 3:46 PM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » ASYMCA Mud Run Rss Feed