Southern Colorado runners
36F / 2C
Overcast
Total Time = 9h 15m
Overall Rank = 11/185
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 2/10
Pre-race routine:

Since this was a local race, I didn't have to drive an hour or more to get there. I woke up around 6:30 or 7:00 and lounged around the house in the morning. Breakfast was hot coffee, peanut butter toast, and a banana. I also drank some water and some powerade. My brother showed up around 8:00 o'clock and we headed to the race at about 8:40 or so.
Event warmup:

I ran for about 3-4 minutes before the start of the race, maybe about 1/2 mile if that. Felt good to get moving and loosen up a little bit. Paul and I just stood around and chatted until the start.
Run
  • 42m 33s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 06m 51s  min/mile
Comments:

I started the race towards the back at the start which was probably a mistake. I spent the first three minutes just moving up towards the front. My mile splits ranged from about 6:30 to 7:00 which was right where I wanted to be. I did slow down a little toward the end, but I felt like I was able to sustain this pace longer than I have in the past. I think my nutrition and hydration prior to the race helped with this. I also tapered for nearly 4 days, which is a little more than usual, but that's okay as I was definitely ready to go.
What would you do differently?:

Maybe start toward the front a little bit more. I don't think it slowed me down to much, but I would have liked to try and break 42:00 minutes today. Still, that was probably my fastest time in 20 years.
Post race
Warm down:

The race ends with a 1 mile fun run for students. I did a little running around to encourage the students from my school. It wasn't much of a cool down, but it was enough.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Nothing really. I think I felt like I accomplished what I had set out to do. The trick will be adding one of these after the swim/bike in the Oly tri this summer.

Event comments:

They need to do a little more with the post race organization. There were some gaps in the announcements, and there was a problem with processing the results. The 10 K was over by 10:00, yet they still didn't have the race results.

The funner to be a runner is an event that has grown in popularity the last several years. They need to be a little clearer with the instructions as there was some confusion to the start of the race.

Last updated: 2011-03-06 12:00 AM
Running
00:42:33 | 06.21 miles | 06m 51s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/10
Overall: 0/185
Performance: Good
Course: The course was altered this year, and some aspects of it were a little messy. For example, the walkers turnaround point was just in the middle of the course. There were folks turning around and the 10k and 10 mile runners were just running right through them. This probably should have been more thought out. The course didn't go into city park at all this time, and moved down onto the nature center trail. I actually liked this as it made the course a little flatter. I'm not sure why they changed it, but it seems like the first time in a long time, that I didn't have to run through city park for a race.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes