General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Best Training Plans? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2005-08-13 10:55 PM

User image

Elite
Hurst, Texas
Subject: Best Training Plans?

I am trying to choose an IM training plan for IMCDA 2006.  I have seen some plans that go 26 weeks, and some that are shorter.  The "Beginner IM Plan" on this site looks pretty good, is 20 weeks, and allows you to import to the logs. 

I have also seen training programs on TrainingPeaks, I think written by Gail Bernhardt.  One of these, "Thirteen Weeks to a Thirteen Hour Ironman" is pretty popular from what I've heard, and her beginner program is a 16 week plan. 

Obviously, there are a zillion choices out there...does anyone have suggestions as to which plans are best?  I realize I have some time still, but I want to plan ahead so that I have a definite schedule and am ready to roll when the time comes.

Edited by OldAg92 2005-08-13 11:06 PM

2005-08-14 5:55 AM
in reply to: #224755

User image

Master
Maine
Subject: RE: Best Training Plans?

Hey Brandt - I'm probably going to use Bernhardt's thirteen week plan. I like the bike focus and the relatively lighter weekdays.  I used the 20 week 1/2 IM plan on this site, and like it, although in retrospect I think it was a little light on the time in the saddle.  The full IM plan looks like it just follows a similar schedule.  As you said, the plus side is that you can import it into your log here.

I was originally considering Bernhardt's 26 week or even 52 week plan for IM, but after sticking faithfully to a plan for the last 20 weeks, I'm thinking that it will be much more enjoyable to do what I want and have fun without being confined to a training plan through the winter and spring, then start the plan in April.

Good luck!

-Rob

2005-08-14 8:37 AM
in reply to: #224772

User image

Elite
San Diego
Subject: RE: Best Training Plans?

I used a coach, Mike Plumb. He keeps his logs here on BT so he just looks at your training every day. Pretty cool. I might use him again, or use the Multisports.com training plan.  know a lot of people who have had some good success with Berhardt's plan. I just needed someone to taylor my training around my life and other activites

Good luck

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Best Training Plans? Rss Feed