United States
67F / 19C
Overcast
Total Time = 22m 31s
Overall Rank = 42/375
Age Group = F40-44
Age Group Rank = 2/27
Pre-race routine:

This race has a late starting time - 11:00am. So, since I had plenty of time before the race for my food to digest, I ate my normal breakfast of banana, coffee, oatmeal w/ blueberries and greek yogurt.
Event warmup:

I rode my bike the 33 miles from my house to the race site.
Run
  • 22m 31s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 07m 14s  min/mile
Comments:

This was my 3rd year doing this race. The first year I placed 2nd Masters with a time of 22:57. Last year I placed 3rd Masters with a time of 21:38. I was hoping to go back this year and place again with a goal time of 21:00. Unfortunately, I didn't get my goal time.

I started off fine. My first mile was a bit slow, but not too far off at 6:50 (I wanted to average 6:45 pace). But I knew I wasn't going to be able to keep that pace. The bike ride in had tired me more than I expected it to. I kept an easy pace, but I had a headwind most of the way that made the effort harder than I wanted. So, when I started running my legs were already feeling tired. This was the first 5k where my legs bothered me (and eventually slowed me down) more than my lungs. I also had an upset stomach through the race. I think that was a result of the Infinit I drank on the bike on the way. It just wasn't settling well for this effort on the run.

I kept wanting to stop and walk. But I fought that urge and just tried to keep the pace as fast as I could manage. I was still passing people right until the end and wasn't passed by anyone.

Even though my race was not the pace I wanted, I still managed to finish 2nd Masters (and win $150). According to the race results, it seems the average paces were slower this year than last. I am not sure if that was because it was warmer and windier this year. Or if none of the faster runners that came last year came back.
What would you do differently?:

I don't know. Maybe if I hadn't ridden my bike to the race, I would have run faster. But even if I had run my goal pace, I may not have placed any higher (since the person that beat me finished in exactly 21:00 - it would have been more interesting though because it would have been a race to the finish). But I enjoyed riding to the race and home again after. I was able to get 66 miles in on my bike and place 2nd at a 5k race in one day. So, not a bad day at all.
Post race
Warm down:

33 mile bike ride back home.

Last updated: 2011-02-02 12:00 AM
Running
00:22:31 | 03.11 miles | 07m 14s  min/mile
Age Group: 2/27
Overall: 42/375
Performance: Average
1st mile - 6:50, 2nd mile - 7:10, 3rd mile - 7:22, last .1 - 6:46 pace
Course: Flat course through downtown Lumberton
Keeping cool Average Drinking