Napa Valley Marathon
45F / 7C
Precipitation
Total Time = 00m
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = 50-54
Age Group Rank = 60/64
Pre-race routine:

Got up at 4:15. Took my time getting ready and headed to the pick up bus at 5:00. We stayed at the host hotel so it was quite convenient. Bus left at 5:15. I had my breakfast bar, banana and cup of coffee on the ride over. It was raining so we stayed on the bus when we got there after a porta potty stop. Went out to the start line at 6:45.
Event warmup:

Just walked around a bit. Did my lunges. Enjoyed the moment :)
Run
  • 5h 42m 48s
  • 26.1 miles
  • 13m 08s  min/mile
Comments:

My plan was to run the first 6 miles without a walk break then to walk through each aid station which were about every 2 miles. I did that until about mile 16 and then the plan changed. The walk breaks started taking on a life of their own and were a little longer. By the time I got to mile 22 I decided to walk a 1/4 of a mile, run 1/2 a mile, etc. That worked for me and got me to the finish line.
What would you do differently?:

I wouldn't change anything for this marathon since it was my first and I finished which was my primary goal but I always learn something new with each race and I think I can work on my mental toughness but that'll come with time.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around, did some stretching, took advantage of the post race massages, drank lots of water.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

A few extra pounds weighing me down, I could of been fitter, I could of been mentally tougher BUT I finished!

Event comments:

This was the perfect first marathon for me. It is a well organized, small race (2300 runners) that has so many personal touches. The volunteers were amazing and really gave you the feeling that they actually wanted to be there instead of the 'I just need to get my community service in' attitude you sometimes find. The course is beautiful. The one-on-one post race attention made me feel special :) I thought the volunteer might take me all the way to the car! Overall a great experience.

Last updated: 2010-12-13 12:00 AM
Running
05:42:48 | 26.1 miles | 13m 08s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/64
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
Course: Beautiful point to point with rollers and some lovely downhills.
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2011-03-07 11:11 AM

User image

Expert
San Jose
Subject: Napa Valley Marathon

2011-03-09 3:48 AM
in reply to: #3386291

User image

Extreme Veteran
Mobile
Subject: RE: Napa Valley Marathon
Great job Johanne. It must feel really good knowing you completed a Marathon. Congrats
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Napa Valley Marathon Rss Feed