General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Knee pain while on trainer Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2011-03-07 11:21 AM

User image

DC
Subject: Knee pain while on trainer
Hi all,

I've been trying to do the Beginner Cycling Plan as much as possible (usually 3-4 days a week). I enjoy the workouts; I've never used a trainer before and it's fun to have an actual plan of what to do and not just mindlessly spin for an hour. The problem I've found is with the workouts that involve slower RPMs, for example: 4x5’ at 55-65 RPMS. To get this low, I was really grinding, and it started hurting my knee by the second set of 5'. I have had consistent knee problems while running, but never from biking. Am I doing something wrong? Or should I just avoid this kinds of workouts?

Any tips appreciated..

Thanks!

2011-03-07 11:52 AM
in reply to: #3386329

User image

Subject: RE: Knee pain while on trainer
Yeah, shift so it's easier to pedal by two gears or so for a bit until you've built up more of your trainer legs. Seriously, drop the gearing down a couple for a few months. If it calls for 39X15, do it in 39X17 or 39X19. 53X13 do in 53X15 or 53X17.

Then, after a month or two, shift up one gear, etc.

It's just a new way of working your muscles, tendons and such and you need to sneak into it, you cannot jump right in to the high level workouts without a foundation.

2011-03-07 12:10 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Central Iowa

When I started using an indoor cycle at the beginning of this year with the tri class I am taking, I had a lot of knee pain and was very frustrated. (I used to experience knee pain when I biked, but hadn’t for years… not since I learned to shift properly.) The class called for more higher resistance work than I was accustomed to.

The strategy I have applied in this class is that whenever I have sore muscles, I keep going. But whenever I have soreness in my joints, I back off.

This requires that I be honest with myself. Can’t use any little discomfort as an excuse to slack!

The good news is that, as the course has gone on, I find that fewer and fewer things hurt my knees.

2011-03-07 12:54 PM

User image

DC
Awesome, thanks all! I'll tone it down a bit.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Knee pain while on trainer Rss Feed