Berry College
50F / 10C
Precipitation
Total Time = 1h 57m 44s
Overall Rank = 232/695
Age Group = M 30-34
Age Group Rank = 25/46
Pre-race routine:

First race of the 2011 season for me. Got up at 5:00 am because I had a 1.5 hr drive up to Rome, grabbed a PB&honey sandwich for the ride, and it's a good thing I left early. Mapquest had the directions wrong, and by the time I stopped at a local Rome Steak N Shake to get directions to Berry, fought traffic, parked, stood in line for packet pickup, checked my gear, and hit the restrooms, it was time to start. Literally. I walked out of the restoom, and as I was approaching the start line, the gun went off. So, no warmup for me.
Event warmup:

None. Stretched a little bit in the restroom line, but that's about it.
Run
  • 1h 57m 44s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 08m 59s  min/mile
Comments:

Overall, I thought this was a below average run for me. I negative-split the race (9:19 10k pace, 9:00 flat the remaining 7 miles), and I'm not quite sure why. The run was a mass start, so the crowd impeded the pace a bit for the first mile or so, but I didn't feel like I was going particularly slowly. The couple of out and backs on the trails off in the mountain campus were awfully muddy, and they had big rocks sticking out of the ground in some places, and large puddles in others. Made for an interesting run.
What would you do differently?:

Not much, except perhaps push a bit harder in the first 10k.
Post race
Warm down:

Grabbed a couple of cups of water, a banana, and some powerade for the ride home.

Last updated: 2011-03-07 12:00 AM
Running
01:57:44 | 13.1 miles | 08m 59s  min/mile
Age Group: 25/46
Overall: 232/695
Performance: Below average
Course: Course was an interesting, sort of out-n-back course on the Berry campus. Ran a loop around main campus, then headed up to the "mountain" campus via an access road. Made a big loop around the mountain campus, and off of the big loop there were a couple more out and backs along trails, which of course were nice and muddy. The way back to the main campus was along a jogging trail that ran parallel to the main access road. Don't know why they didn't just run you back on the access road, they could have kept the same aid stations.
Keeping cool Good Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?