General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » Hello from St Johns, MIchigan Rss Feed  
Moderators: IndoIronYanti, k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2011-03-08 4:36 PM

Subject: Hello from St Johns, MIchigan
Hi all. I am just starting to look into triathlons. I have been cycling fo a few years and if I can learn to swim halfway decent I think I'll go for it. I'm about 6'2 225 right now and looking for a fun way to get back into great shape.I thought about trying this last year, but again, I don't think I could make the swim. Any tips or links to swimming related instruction is greatly appreciated. I can keep myself afloat, but I have no clue about technique and I get very winded from just a couple laps in a pool.Also, I noticed there are a few people from Michigan here...how did you find local events?I look forward to chatting with many of you, and best of luck in your training!B

2011-03-08 4:41 PM
in reply to: #3389019

User image

Expert
Subject: RE: Hello from St Johns, MIchigan

Welcome to BT and this wonderful sport of Triathlon, I'd suggest looking into getting the Book and DVD's of total Immersion. I did that last year and has greatly increased my endurance on the swim. Like anything though, you'll get better with practice. The faster you are horrizontally you'll be faster vertically. Anyhow good luck with your upcoming race season. look into the thread "Triathlon Talk" for some pointers. Most of important have fun and race your race!

Take care

Scott

2011-03-08 4:54 PM
in reply to: #3389029

Thanks for the advice and encouragement Scott. :-DIs that book and DVD something that is offered through this site or at a book store/amazon?I am at work so I'm browsing on my phone and it's tough to see all the links and info here cuz my screen is so small.
2011-03-08 4:56 PM
in reply to: #3389048

User image

Expert

Pookie Wiggerson - 2011-03-08 5:54 PM Thanks for the advice and encouragement Scott. :-DIs that book and DVD something that is offered through this site or at a book store/amazon?I am at work so I'm browsing on my phone and it's tough to see all the links and info here cuz my screen is so small.

I bought mine on Amazon...  

2011-03-17 10:39 AM

I'm new to the sport also, I live close to Lansing, playmakers.com has a great listing of runs and tri's in the lansing area, plus active.com, and I've been hearing about a lot of races by word of mouth. I'm doing the Hawk Island Tri in June. They say it's great for first timers. This site has a good listing too.

Good Luck

Tracie

2011-03-17 11:12 AM

User image

Master
syracuse

hey there!

My wife is from St. Johns, and we go there a few times per year.....

welcome to BT!

I've found BT to be very useful.....

St. johns has some awesome running roads....miles and miles of dirt roads with lots of cool farm country to look at.

I love running there...biking, not so much!  flat but too much wind!!...

There is a great YMCA in lansing with a great pool center--check that out for lessons.

welcome!

New Thread
General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » Hello from St Johns, MIchigan Rss Feed