United States
Klien & Clark Sports, LLC
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 23m 28s
Overall Rank = 207/
Age Group = M35-39
Age Group Rank = 34/88
Pre-race routine:

Camped in campground the night before, so was able to sleep in more than most. Up at about 5:45 for quick breakfast of banana and peanut butter and some water. Rode the 1/4 mile to transition at about 6:45 and got set up.
Into the water for a quick warm up and off to the start line.

Camping at the event site is an awesome idea. Getting to use your own bathroom (if you've got an RV) is a great alternative to long lines at porta-potties. A bunch of people had the same idea so we got to check out all the fancy bikes ahead of time.
Event warmup:

None really, set up transition and quick dip in the water.
Swim
  • 19m 32s
  • 1300 yards
  • 01m 30s / 100 yards
Comments:

Swim felt good. Water temp was perfect at about 65. Sighting was brutal into the sun, but announcer recommended using the two palm trees as a marker and was dead on. Never had to correct my course and held a pretty strong pace. It seemed like everybody started at a sprint, but dropped off within about 5 minutes. Passed people from other groups along the way, turning the last buoy I slipped past my another green cap (same color as me) and finished in pretty well. In reading race reports, it seems that last green cap may have been Fastyellow before he smoked me on the bike.

What would you do differently?:

Not much.
Transition 1
  • 02m 57s
Comments:

Wanted to go pretty easy in transitions and keep HR down. I've had problems at Ca 70.3 in the past, and I used this as a prep for this years, so I wanted to do everything the same as I hope to in a month. Slow is smooth, smooth is fast.
Bike
  • 1h 09m 37s
  • 24 miles
  • 20.68 mile/hr
Comments:

Bike was as predicted, flat and fast. The first couple of miles were on a great road, newly paved with a very slight downhill. Then there was a turn onto the 2 lap portion where the road quality went to crap. Very rough asphalt with loose gravel and sand (I know, it's the dessert) dusting the surface. Almost went down on a turn trying to take it a little too fast for the conditions, and slowed down for the rest of them. Felt OK for the first 8 miles, felt great for 8-20, then good for 20-24.

I avoided the water bottle station, I agree with others here that this was not necessary and could have been dangerous.

I caught my wife at the end of my second lap where she was about to start hers. She was about to miss the turn (very unlike her) so as I yell to her to move to the left, she shows me the elbow covered in blood. Apparently she did fall in a corner and slid TDF style. I thought she was going to quit, but she assured me she was fine and we each went our separate ways. That was scary, but impressive.

Transition 2
  • 02m 13s
Comments:

See T1, slow is smooth, smooth is fast (but apparently not in transitions).
Run
  • 49m 9s
  • 6 miles
  • 08m 11s  min/mile
Comments:

Started out of T2 feeling pretty good. I ran with a fuel belt with only bottle to test out my plan for Ca 1/2. I should have taken more bottles because I got very hot and could have used some extra water. I ran the first mile and felt pretty good, but at the first marker my watch read 7:10 which is way too fast for me. I told myself to slow it down and find my pace. Second mile said I ran a 8:45, which is way too slow. I then figured the mileage signs were most likely off, and I just ran what I hoped would be a comfortable, sustainable pace for a 13 mile run. It went OK, 8:11 average is a good time for me, but I doubt I could have held that for another 7. I do believe the course could have used another aid station out there, but it wasn't the end of the world. It was very nice to see the start/finish/transition area for a majority of the run and being able to hear the winners finish was very cool. I was bummed that they finished and I had 4 miles left to run, but I guess I'll have to go faster if I want to change that.
What would you do differently?:

Take more water. I'm a big time sweater and have a tendency to mentally check out when dehydrated.
Post race
Warm down:

Friends were at finish line, waited for my wife and had a couple of beverages. Back to the campground for a night of fun, then the windiest night of my life.

Last updated: 2011-01-25 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:19:32 | 1300 yards | 01m 30s / 100yards
Age Group: 4/88
Overall: 48/
Performance:
Suit: Full
Course:
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 65F / 18C Current: Low
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 02:57
Performance:
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
01:09:37 | 24 miles | 20.68 mile/hr
Age Group: 0/88
Overall: 298/
Performance:
Wind: Little
Course:
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 02:13
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:49:09 | 06 miles | 08m 11s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/88
Overall: 374/
Performance:
Course: 2 laps, some dirt/sand sections.
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?