Little Rock Marathon
37F / 3C
Overcast
Total Time = 2h 44m 6s
Overall Rank = 2317/2922
Age Group = F45-49
Age Group Rank = 116/178
Pre-race routine:

I drove down to Little Rock on Friday with my mom. Went down and picked up my race packet Saturday morning then out to lunch at Olive Garden with a bunch of family that I don't get to see very often. Had a nice time then spent the rest of the day just hanging around my aunt's house.

Got up around 6 on Sunday morning, had breakfast and tried to decide what to wear. The temps were pretty cool to start but were supposed to warm up during the race.
Event warmup:

Not much - just trying to stay warm. It was pretty cool and the wind was not helping.
Run
  • 2h 44m 6s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 12m 32s  min/mile
Comments:

I was in the open corral but I wanted to start pretty close to the front so I wouldn't have to dodge too many walkers. Only took about 5 minutes to get across the start line. The course was pretty nice - not too many hills, but considering that I had done most of my winter training indoors on a TM I was really feeling them by the end of the race.

I did my usual run/walk that I do for distances longer than 6 miles - running 3/4 mile, then walking 1/4. My goal for this race was to beat my previous HM time of 2:42:xx so I tried to stick with the 5:15 marathon pace group. That worked pretty good for the first 7 miles or so. I would fall a little behind on my walk breaks but managed to catch back up to them on my runs. After about 7 miles though I lost them - I was falling too far back on my walk breaks. At that point I decided to not worry about my time and just concentrate on finishing the race. I know I probably wasn't drinking enough and I was feeling a little chilled at times. The sun never did come out like was predicted and the wind was pretty cold on some parts of the course. Also my legs started cramping up so it became more about finishing. I'm actually pretty happy with my time - I only missed my goal by a few minutes and I know if I had been a little better prepared (for the hills and the weather), I would have made it easily.
What would you do differently?:

Not do the majority of my winter training on a TM. I've run races in similar temperatures before but not more than 4 miles. Something to work on for next year if I decide to do another early spring half.
Post race
Warm down:

Tried to find my mom in the crowd, got some water and a few snacks, then headed back to my aunt's house to shower before the 8 hour drive back to Missouri.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Lack of proper training, weather was colder than I was prepared for.

Last updated: 2010-12-22 12:00 AM
Running
02:44:06 | 13.1 miles | 12m 32s  min/mile
Age Group: 116/178
Overall: 2317/2922
Performance: Average
Course: Started in downtown Little Rock, across the Broadway bridge into North Little Rock, then back across the bridge and through downtown. Start and end was by the River Market.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes