Raleigh, North Carolina
United States
Carolina Godiva Track Club
Total Time = 9h 00m
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Got up early and ate some left-over pasta. Drank a couple cups of coffee.
Event warmup:

Walked from parking lot to race site.
Run
  • 4h 20m
  • 26.2 miles
  • 09m 55s  min/mile
Comments:

Went out to fast and paid for it later. Was feeling great on the single track and enjoyed conversation with fellow runners through the turn around on Turkey Creek. At this point I really thought I was going to comfortably come in under 4 hours ... HA HA HA HA ... Umstead had other plans. Started to feel twinge in left calf coming back that began threatening cramp so slowed on the uphills then started to slow on downhills too. Started really looking forward to aid stations and tried every nutrition offered with the hope that something would turn my legs around ... nope. Super volunteers were big boost at stations, but none had extra set of legs for me. Was able to run down to Reedy Creek Lake, but the hill coming up from the creek is when the legs really began to fail and began some run-walk. Down down down down Cedar Ridge I knew coming back up was going to hurt ... and it did. More run-walk. Tried to run up Cemetery Hill and left leg fully seized up ... almost sending me to the ground. Walked up the rest of the hill and run-walked it in to the finish. Held back tears when I saw my family waiting for me about 20 yrds from finish???!!! Was so glad to be done.
What would you do differently?:

Next year ... start slow and stay steady. Figure out nutrition.
Post race
Warm down:

Hobble to car.

Event comments:

First marathon. Fantastic venue. Wonderful enthusiastic volunteers. Challenging course.

Last updated: 2010-12-16 12:00 AM
Running
04:20:00 | 26.2 miles | 09m 55s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance:
Course: As advertised. Hills. Hills. More Hills.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Below average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Too hard
Organized? Yes
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2011-03-09 6:03 AM

User image

Subject: Umstead Trail Marathon

2011-03-09 9:50 AM
in reply to: #3389608

User image

Expert
Apex, NC
Subject: RE: Umstead Trail Marathon

Awesome job Chuck!  I too chose Umstead as my first (back in '08).  I just hope it's not my last...

Now rest easy this week, fight the urge to go run.  Rest those legs.  You earned it.  I've given my "tick mug" a workout already!

2011-03-09 10:14 AM
in reply to: #3389978

User image

Extreme Veteran
In front of computer when typing this.
Great job Bill, esp. considering your injury status these past few months. Hope you take some time to heal and familiarize yourself with that bike now :-)
2011-03-10 5:48 AM

User image

Thanks for the kudos.  My legs are finally starting to feel normal today ... and the tick mug has seen daily action.  How long do you usually wait to run after a marathon?
2011-03-10 10:01 AM
in reply to: #3391304

User image

Expert
Apex, NC

ChuckHappy - 2011-03-10 6:48 AM Thanks for the kudos.  My legs are finally starting to feel normal today ... and the tick mug has seen daily action.  How long do you usually wait to run after a marathon?
  I've rushed it every time.  I'm waiting one week minimum this time.  I have been hitting the elliptical, but no "impact" yet.  Watch out for foot/ankle injuries; that's what's plagued me in the past. 

2011-03-11 11:27 AM

User image

Regular
Mesa, AZ

Way to hang in there and stick it out.  Sounds painful.  My first marathon was painful as well and I was so glad it was over.  You did it.  Now you can try something different so that your second marathon will be better.

Great job!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Umstead Trail Marathon Rss Feed