General Discussion Triathlon Talk » What have you given up for Triathlon, and regretted? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2011-03-09 8:28 PM
in reply to: #3390937

User image

Expert
Fort Riley, Kansas
Subject: RE: What have you given up for Triathlon, and regretted?
trigal38 - 2011-03-09 6:43 PM

I gave up shopping for pretty clothes, shoes and purses. Just as selfish and expensive as triathlon. 

I regret it a little as I have nothing to wear besides t-shirts and jeans! Oh wait, I always have spandex.

Me too!

2011-03-09 8:42 PM
in reply to: #3390840

User image

Elite
Gave up my Trek hybrid for a FELT and no regrets.........still use the trek with the kids.  dont want to leave the behind lol
2011-03-10 8:44 AM

User image

Champion
Sarasota, FL
Really didn't 'give up' anything for triathlon. 

I have more hobbies/interests than I have time, so I'm always faced with decisions about how I prioritize my activities.

If anything, I give higher priority to other things, such as working at Habitat for Humanity on Saturday mornings instead of training. 

I have given some things up over the past 10-15 years, but not due to triathlon:  Tennis, because of a chronic tennis elbow.  Playing the French horn in the community orchestra because I just lost interest.    

I can't list sleeping in, because I got up at 5AM five days a week for years to go to the gym before I got involved with triathlon.

I probably should add that I have more descretionary time now as an empty-nester, being able to 'give up' parenting full-time (though you never completely stop being a parent...)

I definitely have not given up alcohol, although my tastes have evolved over the years;  I currently enjoy a nice Shiraz.

Mark

2011-03-10 9:54 AM
in reply to: #3391133

Gave up trying to look "in fashion," for trying to look "fast." :-)
2011-03-10 10:12 AM

User image

Champion
Knoxville area

The things I gave up would scare most people half to death. A couple of them very nearly killed me.

Triathlon keeps me (relatively) in line.

I don't feel like I *need* triathlon any more to stay clean, but It most certainly played an integral role in getting me to this point.

2011-03-10 10:45 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Texas

2011-03-10 10:49 AM

User image

Pro

<<----- See that avatar

yeah, well I don't fly my hang glider or paraglider much at all any more, and it was what defined me.  There's only so much time.  Do I miss it?  heck yeah.  But perhaps after 20 years, and I'm still alive, I should count my blessings and sell the equipment.  But I just can't bring myself to do that.  I just can't come to grips with not being in the sky ever again.

2011-03-10 10:58 AM

Veteran

OK, this thread took a WAY different tack than I was intending or expecting.  I guess I should be more specific when I post a question.  My "mistake," though the thread has been very interesting to read.  In retrospect, I see that the title of the thread definitely implies a deeper meaning than I intended.

What I meant to ask is, what have you given up as a means of improving your performance that, as it turned out, had less performance benefit than what you had hoped, and thus left you feeling that you might revert to your older ways? 

Scott

2011-03-10 11:30 AM
in reply to: #3391911

User image

Extreme Veteran
Acton, Ontario

I gave up rest days, and replaced them with active recovery days.

Not sure whether it will help, hurt, do nothing. I just like training and don't like taking a day off unless it is absolutely necessary (e.g., injury).

2011-03-10 11:32 AM
in reply to: #3390939

User image

Master
Toronto
Bronze member
rkreuser - 2011-03-09 6:43 PM
spudone - 2011-03-09 6:36 PM
Fred Doucette - 2011-03-09 3:30 PM
rkreuser - 2011-03-09 6:27 PM

Golf. Rugby. Reading (more). Cooking. These are things I chose to give up, and either regret or miss, occasionally, but don't gnaw at me.

Time with my family. Sleep.  These are evils that come with the sport, at least for me in my situation.  

I'll continue to believe that triathlon is one of the most selfish activities anyone could take on, especially longer distances. A ton of time by yourself, whether in the pool, on the bike, or logging run hours at stupid times. It's not for everybody. But it's certainly for quite a few people.

Good points Rick. It is a selfish sport to a degree. I have tried to give up a lot of things to allow my training to occur with the least impact on my family:

1. Gave up golf.
2. Watch far less TV.
3. gave up video games.
4. Reduced alcohol consumption.
5. Hang out with friends or go out with the 'boys' less often.

I guess my feeling is that it's a selfish sport but there are ways to mitigate this issue.

I think it's a matter of where you prefer to spend your time.  I have friends who could also list items 1-5 there as things that changed after they had kids.  But I wouldn't call them selfish.

Triathlon training can be solitary or not - just depends on your preference.

Agreed.

And I purposely threw out a judgment to get the discussion going that way. Lots of people give up things they're happy to...alcohol, tv, BS-ing with the boys, whatever. I support those; tri is a great reason to do so, if that's who you want to be.

But I also know that lots of folks have given up lots of things very valuable to them: being a parent, being a spouse, being a friend, for (and this is just an example, don't flame) the holy grail of 15 hours (or whatever, insert desired training load here) a week of IM training. I did this, to a degree, and it was selfish, and not worth it. There was a NYT article about triathlon widows, and threads here and ST documenting exactly that. It's real.

And I'd actually pose the question this way: if someone gave you an extra 20 hours a week, what would you do with it?  I'd venture the very small minority of folks would answer 'swim, bike, and run on my own'. Some would do so, but in a group. The vast majority would do something else. And if you posed that same question to your kids or spouse - you had 20 extra hours, how would you spend it? Just thinking out loud.

Though that questions about what you would do with an extra 20 hours is an interesting one the reality is most wouldn't actively use it the way they say they will. Okay, I am being critical and harsh and making judgements but honestly, I look around at all the people who say they are 'so busy' but their nights are spent at home parked in front of the tv.  If asked the question they say they would spend more time with their kids or try X activity.  Everyone is entitled to down time but I just hate that people see a hobby like tri as selfish. It really comes down to how you prioritize.

The NYT about the tri widow was more of a case of a guy who had checked out of his family, imho and was using tri and swimming the English Channel as convenient excuses.  I am sure that there are lots of folks on here who would say that they spend their time with their families/friends/SO's more productively (ie quality time) because of their training and the fact that the time is valuable and shouldn't be wasted. 

though I do agree that long-distance tri is likely to take family time away no matter what just because of the time investment. For everyone there's a balance that works for them. 

I know if given 20 hours extra in a week I'd waste more than I care to admit.  And since starting training it gives my life a lot more purpose in the hours around work.  It's easy to float through the routine of commuting, work, chores, dinner with the family, rinse, repeat

As for the OP. I haven't given up anything in particular thinking it would give me an advantage in training. Though i did give up yoga for a while because I just didn't have time.  I do find it helpful for my body and miss it when its gone.

2011-03-10 11:48 AM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.

2011-03-10 11:58 AM
in reply to: #3391152

Master
Central Indiana

FELTGood - 2011-03-09 9:42 PM Gave up my Trek hybrid for a FELT and no regrets.........still use the trek with the kids.  dont want to leave the behind lol

My FS MTB hasn't seen me in the saddle for 2 yrs now.

'Course the local trail being torn up & now completely flooded has something to do with that.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » What have you given up for Triathlon, and regretted? Rss Feed  

of 2