General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Hypoxic Training??? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2005-08-15 12:46 AM

User image

Veteran
Peoria AZ
Subject: Hypoxic Training???

Anyone tried it?

Most recently I've been riding my bike to work and back home.  I use a camel back for water and a backpack to store my work/bike stuff.  The backpack has a strap that goes across my chest.  I've had it strapped down pretty tight but didn't think much about it.  As a side note, I've never felt lightheaded or under any duress, just not able to take a huge breathes after a hill or a hard push.  I think I have been self-inducing hypoxic training by limiting the amount my lungs can expand.  Now when I go running it's awkward to take deep/fast breaths.  Also as a result it's now incredibly hard to get my max HR up and my AVG overall HR has been dropping like a rock compared to past history training. 

Would you all consider constricting lung/chest expansion as being a form of hypoxic training?

2005-08-15 1:00 AM
in reply to: #225180

User image

Regular
Milwaukee, WI
Subject: RE: Hypoxic Training???
I think you should not restrict the natural movement of your chest while working out by artifical means. I have done hypoxic training in the pool. It did help with my rhythm and efficiency. I cant think of too much a benefit for running\biking. It might help your body become more efficient with oxygen uptake? I am too familiar with it out of the pool.

Edited by uwmswimr 2005-08-15 1:02 AM
2005-08-15 5:48 AM
in reply to: #225180

Subject: RE: Hypoxic Training???
Hi,

That sounds a bit wierd. I personally wouldn't think that hypoxic training (though don't think what you were doing would qualify) would have that effect (but I am no expert).

Inability to take deep fast breath? Do you have chest infection? Asthma? Allergy?

I dunno - a few years ago I had 'pneumonia' and felt fine except couldn't breathe deeply / was not coughing or anything - dr. picked it up on chance visit for something else, freaked out and got me on major antibiotics quick fast - and then I noticed that I suddenly felt much better (though I hadn't realised I was sick)..... maybe I was just lucky.

Anyway, just a thought! Hope you sort it out.

Sally
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Hypoxic Training??? Rss Feed