FS Series
38F / 3C
Sunny
Total Time = 45m 28s
Overall Rank = 37/167
Age Group = Clydesdale
Age Group Rank = 1/18
Pre-race routine:

Pre-organized all of my gear friday night. Made a checklist and packed everything to be taken. Got up at 5:00 to eat breakfast (2 slices of pb toast + gatorade + banana) and pack the truck. Left the house at 5:35, got to Clinton at 6:50. Setup my bike and gear in the transition area and went to get my chip and get marked. It turns out FS didn't have my #60 chip, so I had to be re-numbered as #200. It wasn't a big deal and after a few minutes the officials had it straight. Ate one more banana at 7:30 and grazed on my gatorade until 7:45. Stripped off my nice warm clothes and headed into the pool area.
Event warmup:

Stretched my shoulders and arms a little. Did 2 easy warmup laps in the pool to loosen up. I stretched my legs once I got out and was in line waiting to start. I didn't get a chance to stretch as much as I normally like to, but it seemed sufficient.
Swim
  • 04m 22s
  • 250 yards
  • 01m 45s / 100 yards
Comments:

Overall I felt I did pretty well, but a lot of people were totally out of control in the pool. While waiting to swim I saw a number of people swimming up the wrong lanes, swimming up the wrong side of the lane, passing on the wrong side, and even head on smashing into one another. I tried to stay tight with the lane marker to my left at all times, but had oncoming swimmers bang into me a few times for no real reason. I held a good pace and passed one swimmer at the halfway mark. I had a break right behind me, so it was nice to not have traffic behind me. Even though I re-numbered to #200 I still started in the #60 spot and felt I picked an accurate swim split (1:50/100).
What would you do differently?:

Maybe FS can be more clear in their pool instruction? I certainly don't fault them, but this swim was worse than most pool swims I have seen.
Transition 1
  • 03m 8s
Comments:

I was worried about freezing like a Titanic passenger when I saw the weather was going to be mid 30s. I ended up taking FOREVER in T1 putting on layers to stay warm on the bike. I did stay warm, but I think I could have gotten away with a lot less. Pants over tri suit, long socks, shoes, tech t-shirt, long sleeve t-shirt, bike jacket, helmet, gloves.

Try to put on less. Maybe just a jacket instead of multiple shirts, a jacket, and pants.
Bike
  • 21m 51s
  • 7 miles
  • 19.22 mile/hr
Comments:

First major ride on the new bike. The bike rode well and was pretty comfortable. I overdressed for the bike and could have gotten away with wearing less for a faster T1. I felt like I started slow but hit a good rythym about 2 miles in. Ended up passing a dozen or so riders and didn't get passed myself. I was thirsty most of the ride and ended up missing the water at the turnaround. Should have had a bottle on board with me, but for a short ride it wasn't a big problem. My goal was 20 minutes for the bike - fell a little short, but I think I can get better with more seat time.

Dress with less, take a bottle with me.

Definitely need to spend more time on the bike, but that wasn't possible for this race.
Transition 2
  • 01m 15s
Comments:

Went better than T1, but still slow. Took a while to get my pants off - shouldn't have had them on in the first place. Had to get my water bottle out of my bag while took a little time also

Wear less in T1 to have less to take off.
Run
  • 14m 54s
  • 2 miles
  • 07m 27s  min/mile
Comments:

I initially felt ok, but once I hit the hill out of the transition area my legs felt weak and heavy. I got passed by a couple guys on that uphill but didn't have any punch to hang on with them. At the top of the hill I was laboring, but managed to calm down and get my hr down a little. After that I was able to get into a stride and started running down some guys in front of me. At the 1 mile mark I felt pretty good and started picking up the pace even more. I think I passed about 10 runners and ended up getting passed by one more guy as we turned onto the final downhill. My legs didn't have much pop at that point, but I was able to kick it out the best I could once I saw the finish line in sight. My goal going in was 15 minutes and the fastest clyde run split, so I was happy with my time.

I should have trained on hills right off the bike. My normal run course has some hills similar to what this course had, but I normally hit those after running 1/2 mile, so my legs are already somewhat transitioned. I probably could have pushed a little harder a little earlier, but I was happy with my time overall.
Post race
Warm down:

Grabbed a bottle of water from a volunteer (thanks!) and walked it out until my heart rate settled. My fiance, puppy, and parents were there, so we hung out for a few minutes before going to get my gear out of the transition area and loading up to head home.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Time on the bike, no clipless pedals, and SLOW transitions.

Event comments:

Ended up winning the clyde group which really surprised me! This was my second triathlon, and I really enjoyed it with the new bike and less anxiety over what to expect. I'm looking forward to training on the bike to faster and continuing to work on my swimming and running as well.

Last updated: 2011-03-01 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:04:22 | 250 yards | 01m 45s / 100yards
Age Group: 2/18
Overall: 28/167
Performance: Good
Suit: 2XU tri shorts
Course: 5 laps snake style in a 6 lane pool. The first and last lane were single direction only while the middle 4 lanes were dual direction.
Start type: Inside Pool Plus: Time Trial
Water temp: 70F / 21C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding:
T1
Time: 03:08
Performance: Bad
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:21:51 | 07 miles | 19.22 mile/hr
Age Group: 3/18
Overall: 29/167
Performance: Good
Wind: Little
Course: A couple of hills by the transition area, but otherwise mostly flat. The surface was smooth on the main roads but rougher on the side/feeder road out into the course. Good direction by the volunteers and traffic control by the cops.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 01:15
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Average
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Below average
Running
00:14:54 | 02 miles | 07m 27s  min/mile
Age Group: 1/18
Overall: 33/167
Performance:
Course: Long uphill coming out of the T2 area, but mostly flat after that. You get to catch that downhill on the way back which is nice at the end of the run. Some pretty good scenery through the downtown area, and the course was well marked and staffed.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes