General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » tri newbie from michigan Rss Feed  
Moderators: IndoIronYanti, k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2011-03-14 10:41 PM

Subject: tri newbie from michigan

Hello from Michigan,

The weather is getting warmer up here! Big hurray for that!  I just finished my first 1/2 marathon Feb. 20th in Florida for my 40th birthday, and my next goal is to do a sprint tri in June. I'm really exicted about it, but of course I'm a little worried about it too. Especially about swimming with a mass of people.  I'm learning a lot from this web site-it's fantastic, and if anyone has advice on how NOT to get kicked in the head while swimming, please pass it on, or advice on not kicking someone else in the head would be greatly appreciated.

Tracie W.

Edited by Twhittum 2011-03-14 10:42 PM

2011-03-15 7:00 AM
in reply to: #3398016

User image

Expert
Subject: RE: tri newbie from michigan
Twhittum - 2011-03-14 11:41 PM

Hello from Michigan,

The weather is getting warmer up here! Big hurray for that!  I just finished my first 1/2 marathon Feb. 20th in Florida for my 40th birthday, and my next goal is to do a sprint tri in June. I'm really exicted about it, but of course I'm a little worried about it too. Especially about swimming with a mass of people.  I'm learning a lot from this web site-it's fantastic, and if anyone has advice on how NOT to get kicked in the head while swimming, please pass it on, or advice on not kicking someone else in the head would be greatly appreciated.

Tracie W.

Congrats on your recent accomplishment Tracie, My best advice is if you're worried about being kicked. When the whistle blows, just count to 10-20 and then start your swim. At that time, majority of the pack will be underway and less likely to get kicked in the head. About swimming, I would look into learning to swim by "Total Immersion", you can pick up the book or dvd on Amazon. However this style of swimming puts you in the most efficient way. Anyway good luck on your upcoming race season.

Scott

2011-03-15 8:51 PM
in reply to: #3398016

User image

New user

Hey T,

I too am new to this and have NO IDEA how not to be kicked nor kick....I am signed up for a sprint Tri during the memorial day weekend at Island Lake.  If you are a runner already you have a huge jump start!  Good luck with your training!!!

2011-03-16 7:20 AM
in reply to: #3399537

Thanks Rick-

I went to the pool last night for the first time. If I knew everyone was going to be so nice I would of went a long time ago. I have a lot of work to do, I was really slow. They have a tri-masters program at the pool I went to, but it starts at 530 in the am, don't know if I will be able to get up so early, but I'm going to try. Can't wait to go back.

T. Whittum

Good luck at Island Lake

New Thread
General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » tri newbie from michigan Rss Feed