General Discussion Triathlon Talk » hypoxic swimming drills are they worth it ? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2011-03-15 1:27 PM
in reply to: #3398857

User image

Veteran
Subject: RE: hypoxic swimming drills are they worth it ?
jgerbodegrant - 2011-03-15 2:22 PM
franktheguard - 2011-03-15 1:56 PM

It can be done safely-breathe-

NO DISRESPECT to your friend, but I don't know what he was doing or what he ultimately drown from. If anything he drown from irresponsible lifeguards would be a great argument, heart arrhythmia-etc. lastly 1 example doesn't make it the standard.

As noted already some people use breath control. And some use it during running as well. ANY breath control-hypercapnia-etc can lead to arrhythmias which can lead to death.  All Im saying is that we all as athletes push ourselves in our sport on a regular basis.

If I hold my breath or exhale 1 stroke longer I doubt Im putting myself in great danger. I believe this because on NUMEROUS occasions I have been waked and have survived. Shallow water blackouts, ignoring the bodys responses, repeated sets of breath training are NOT what Im suggesting. Im saying the body can handle a great amount of stress and we push it many ways, including doing things were afraid of.

Im suggesting a form IN MY OPINION purely as a mental training tool. Im also not upset,agressive by anything anyone has posted, Im just making sure I don't mislead people.

What the heck does this mean?  Is it similar to these high school kids that purposely choke out their friends to get high? 

I'm sorry...and no offense to you, but it sounds absolutely ridiculous and in no way a safe thing to recommend to an inexperienced swimmer...many who read this forum.  I am not sure I'm actually hearing your point at all.

Mass start-swimming-swimming-swimming-go for a breath-get "waked"-ie-take a mouth full of water from nearby swimmer who caused a wake from kick or stroke or whatever-ie "waked"-hence no breath-add stroke-without breath-dont panic-take next breath-ie survived.

2011-03-15 2:23 PM
in reply to: #3398857

User image

Champion
jgerbodegrant - 2011-03-15 1:22 PM

NO DISRESPECT to your friend, but I don't know what he was doing or what he ultimately drown from. If anything he drown from irresponsible lifeguards would be a great argument, heart arrhythmia-etc. lastly 1 example doesn't make it the standard.

As noted already some people use breath control. And some use it during running as well. ANY breath control-hypercapnia-etc can lead to arrhythmias which can lead to death.  All Im saying is that we all as athletes push ourselves in our sport on a regular basis.

If I hold my breath or exhale 1 stroke longer I doubt Im putting myself in great danger. I believe this because on NUMEROUS occasions I have been waked and have survived. Shallow water blackouts, ignoring the bodys responses, repeated sets of breath training are NOT what Im suggesting. Im saying the body can handle a great amount of stress and we push it many ways, including doing things were afraid of.

Im suggesting a form IN MY OPINION purely as a mental training tool. Im also not upset,agressive by anything anyone has posted, Im just making sure I don't mislead people.

What the heck does this mean?  Is it similar to these high school kids that purposely choke out their friends to get high? 

I'm sorry...and no offense to you, but it sounds absolutely ridiculous and in no way a safe thing to recommend to an inexperienced swimmer...many who read this forum.  I am not sure I'm actually hearing your point at all.

I think he means whacked.  Like getting hit while swimming.

2011-03-15 2:50 PM
in reply to: #3398816

User image

Coach
Stairway to Seven
bryancd - 2011-03-15 12:02 PM

Regardless of the safety issue, what on earth do people believe they are achieving from a standpoint of improved swim fitness, economy, or technique by doing this kind of training?

Agreed...

Just practice swimming.
2011-03-15 3:29 PM
in reply to: #3398077

User image

Champion
Dallas, TX
roy123 - 2011-03-15 2:44 AM

I've read an article saying it might not benfit for everyone (http://www.alexandriamasters.com/articles/hypoxic.htm)

How may of you do hypoxic swim sets ?

Do you fell it helped your swimming technique or improved your fitness ?

I don't do them. Don't see the point.

2011-03-15 3:54 PM
in reply to: #3398960

User image

Expert
The Woodlands, TX
DerekL - 2011-03-15 2:23 PM

At first I took it as waked, as in, someone had to wake him up. After the explanation I believe it to mean waked as in a boat wake, or wave that hits him as he was trying to breathe.

2011-03-15 3:56 PM
in reply to: #3399137

User image

Champion
tjfry - 2011-03-15 3:54 PM
DerekL - 2011-03-15 2:23 PM

At first I took it as waked, as in, someone had to wake him up. After the explanation I believe it to mean waked as in a boat wake, or wave that hits him as he was trying to breathe.

Ooh.  That makes sense too.

2011-03-15 4:27 PM

I was a competitive swimmer and waterpolo player. From my experience, hypoxic training is good for sprinting distance. In a 50 yard race one might take a breath once. So for a sprinter, they are useful.

Hypoxic training might help with breathing control in triathlon type race, but if you are an inexperienced swimmer, I would say the benefits probably don't outweigh the consequences. But I do them, I would say it just depends how comfortable you are in the water.

2011-03-15 4:28 PM
in reply to: #3399195

User image

Champion
Fairport, NY
coopermorgan111 - 2011-03-15 5:27 PM

I was a competitive swimmer and waterpolo player. From my experience, hypoxic training is good for sprinting distance. In a 50 yard race one might take a breath once. So for a sprinter, they are useful.

Hypoxic training might help with breathing control in triathlon type race, but if you are an inexperienced swimmer, I would say the benefits probably don't outweigh the consequences. But I do them, I would say it just depends how comfortable you are in the water.

How are they useful?

2011-03-15 4:38 PM

Useful to a sprinter:

Breathing control off turns in a 100 yard race was the difference between a 49s and 51s for me. Breathing control in a 50 yard race is the difference between first and last. 

In my opinion: For a distance swimmer/triathlete, hypoxic sets help build the lungs and develope a more even stroke (ie breath every two strokes compared to every three or every four). I think alot of swimmers at race pace are limited by their urge to breath/ feeling like they are not getting enough air. I think hypoxic sets help train your body and mind to go just a little faster.

my 2 cents

2011-03-15 4:57 PM
in reply to: #3399215

User image

Extreme Veteran
Chicago-ish
coopermorgan111 - 2011-03-15 4:38 PM

Useful to a sprinter:

Breathing control off turns in a 100 yard race was the difference between a 49s and 51s for me. Breathing control in a 50 yard race is the difference between first and last. 

In my opinion: For a distance swimmer/triathlete, hypoxic sets help build the lungs and develope a more even stroke (ie breath every two strokes compared to every three or every four). I think alot of swimmers at race pace are limited by their urge to breath/ feeling like they are not getting enough air. I think hypoxic sets help train your body and mind to go just a little faster.

my 2 cents

Personally, I've found my mind and body go a bit slower when they're lacking oxygen. Can you explain what you mean by "build the lungs" because that doesn't make any sense to me.

2011-03-15 6:05 PM

User image

Pro
Seacoast, NH!
Call me crazy, but I'm going to stick to breathing normally for the most part.  I'm not looking to sprint 100 yds or anything like that....so I'm all set.

2011-03-15 6:31 PM
in reply to: #3399244

User image

Expert
The Woodlands, TX
thndrcloud - 2011-03-15 4:57 PM
coopermorgan111 - 2011-03-15 4:38 PM

Useful to a sprinter:

my 2 cents

Personally, I've found my mind and body go a bit slower when they're lacking oxygen. Can you explain what you mean by "build the lungs" because that doesn't make any sense to me.

Not Hypoxic training, but swimming, more than any other sport, will increase lung capacity, increase gas transfer to the blood, strengthen respiratory muscles, among other things. Don't take my word on it though....

http://erj.ersjournals.com/content/6/2/237.abstract

http://jap.physiology.org/cgi/content/abstract/18/4/687

http://jap.physiology.org/cgi/content/abstract/62/1/39

http://www.springerlink.com/content/g78jbb1hkgk77249/

http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/ppul.1950030306/abstract

http://bjsm.bmj.com/content/31/4/337.abstract

http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/j.1745-7599.2003.tb00394.x/abstract

http://jap.physiology.org/cgi/pdf_extract/32/2/245

2011-03-15 7:02 PM

I have not scientifically studied how hypoxic sets help physiologically. I can only go my personal experience. I would imagine they help you breath with more economy (make better use of the split second you have to breath). It feels to me like they allow me to breathe a little deeper and get more out of every breath. Unlike running and cycling, swimming is a sport in which your stroke is most efficient when you breathe less. In a pool with flip turns, when you breath makes a difference, if you don't breath right out of your turn, you are a little faster. In sprinting, being fast is a balance between giving the body the oxygen it needs and having the fastest stroke (i.e. not breathing); which I think is at core of what hypoxic training is trying to accomplish. Maybe hypoxic training doesn't do anything physiologically at all, but there is a definite mental aspect that cannot be overlooked.

I have been swimming my whole life and have been an ocean lifeguard for seven years and find they help with my swimming, especially my sprinting. My coach made me do them when I was swimming competitively, and I do them when I train. As far as shallow water blackout goes, you have much less a risk because you are not diving at depth. As you dive deeper the pressure actually makes it feel like you have more oxygen than you actually have, and when you come up the pressure releases and you pass out. But depriving your body of oxygen anytime has dangers.

Thus as I said in my first post: I would not recommend them unless you are an experienced swimmer and have a partner. And don't be stupid and try to swim 50m underwater or anything silly. Try something like breath every 3, 5, or 7 strokes for a 25

2011-03-16 8:34 AM

User image

Master
Oxygen is good.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » hypoxic swimming drills are they worth it ? Rss Feed  

of 2