FS Series
34F / 1C
Sunny
Total Time = 43m 48s
Overall Rank = 29/167
Age Group = 40-44
Age Group Rank = 3/12
Pre-race routine:

Unfortunately I didn't pick up my race packet before the race so I was not able to preapply my numbers. I packed my tri-bag the night before with concerns about the temp but also wanting to ensure I was not slow in the transition area. I couldn't find my number belt so that was a major downer. Even with my pre-race jitters, was able to get a good night sleep and left home at @ 5:45 and arrived in Clinton at 6:45. It was really chilly waiting in line for both my numbers, timing chip and getting marked. Setup my transition area and found a place in the sun to wait. In order to keep the antication in bay, I carried on a conversation with another racer. It really helped.
Event warmup:

Didn't do alot of warm up. Not a great swimmer so I just got into the pool to check the temp and did some shoulder stretches.
Swim
  • 05m 12s
  • 250 yards
  • 02m 05s / 100 yards
Comments:

The swim is my worse activity. This pool swim was very hectic and many of the swimmers didn't follow the directions. I was able to swim a really good 50. then I ran out of steam and walked a little. I did a mixture of walking and swimming. When I was actually swimming I was not passed. And was only passed once while walking so overall the swim didn't set me back too far.
What would you do differently?:

I really have to concentrate on swimming. It is really sad how badly I suck at it.
Transition 1
  • 01m 39s
Comments:

Well I did a pretty good job of getting into the transition area quickly. I only put on a shirt and my shoes and was off. I only had a small hiccup getting my helmet snapped and my garmin on. So I just keep the garmin on my hand instead of on my wrist.

Nothing. I think this went pretty good. I made a good choice to go without socks.
Bike
  • 22m 58s
  • 7 miles
  • 18.29 mile/hr
Comments:

As I was getting just getting going, I was almost ran over. A car ran right through the police officers stop sign and almost crushed me. I fell hard. And was really angry but I knew I needed to continue so I hopped back on the bike and took off. It was great to hear the spectators yell at the driver. Once I got rid of the anger I was able to get into a rhytmn. I began passing other by mile 2 and felt really comfortable. I didn't drink during this ride. I felt it was short enough that I would be ok. Handled the turnaround smoothly and was able to get back up to pace quickly. Was passes in the last mile by a guy on a tri-bike.

Get a tri-bike. I have to get into aero faster.
Transition 2
  • 01m 32s
Comments:

Since i was bare footed I decided not to slip my feet out of the shoes until I was back at the bike race. I think that probably slowed me down too much.

Go ahead and slide my feet out of the shoes while still moving in order to save the time.
Run
  • 12m 30s
  • 2 miles
  • 06m 15s  min/mile
Comments:

The run is my strong suit so this was good. The flat course lent itself to speed. I got into a good rhytmn and was able to make up time. I passed several people alogn the way. Ended strong.

Nothing.
Post race
Warm down:

Nothing special. Just walked around to cool off and lower my heart rate. Didnt drink much. Just wanted to really pull my self together and deal with the almost getting hit. Still a little shaken.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Not being able to swim. If I am going to continue competing and hope to improve my performance I have to swim better.

Event comments:

This was a great race to kick off the tri season. I am now excited and truly ready for my upcoming races. The course was gerat and FS did a great job hosting again.

Last updated: 2011-03-15 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:05:12 | 250 yards | 02m 05s / 100yards
Age Group: 7/12
Overall: 64/167
Performance: Below average
Suit: 2XU tri shorts
Course: Snake pool swim.
Start type: Inside Pool Plus: Time Trial
Water temp: 80F / 27C Current:
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Average
Waves: Average Navigation: Average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 01:39
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
00:22:58 | 07 miles | 18.29 mile/hr
Age Group: 5/12
Overall: 42/167
Performance: Average
Wind: Some
Course: Relatively flat. Some rolling hills but nothing major. Great volunteers along the course giving direction. Most of the traffic control was good.
Road: Rough  Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:32
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Average
Jumping off bike Average
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Below average
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:12:30 | 02 miles | 06m 15s  min/mile
Age Group: 1/12
Overall: 8/167
Performance: Good
Course: Uphill out of T2. But the rest of the course was relatively flat. No real challenges on the course. Ending with a downhill.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2011-03-15 10:20 AM

User image

Veteran
Raleigh, NC
Subject: Sampson County Super Sprint

2011-03-15 3:08 PM
in reply to: #3398508

User image

Master
Des Moines, Iowa
Subject: RE: Sampson County Super Sprint
Good job on the race! Yikes! - a car about hitting you. I hope they got a ticket.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Sampson County Super Sprint Rss Feed