General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Why aren't top IM times getting faster? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2011-03-20 10:12 PM
in reply to: #3400704

Subject: RE: Why aren't top IM times getting faster?

I would be curious to see the results graphed as an average of perhaps the top 10-20 times for each year.  Its very dangerous and potentially misleading to draw conclusions from just the 1st place finisher each year.  As others said, there were some legendary competitors during the period of the study.

2011-03-23 3:06 AM
in reply to: #3400854

New user

charotte area NC
Fred Doucette - 2011-03-16 3:47 PM

It is an interesting subject as most other endurance sports have seen improvements in times.

Theories?
1. Mark Allen and Dave Scott were superstars of the sport and around in the 1980s-90s, which boosted performance results.
2. Equipment has less of a benefit than the aero wheel and bike makers would have us believe.
3. Drug testing standards have improved. I am NOT implicating anyone from the 1980s or 90s, but the testing was less strict at Hawaii then.
4. We are at or near the limit of accomplishment in IM Hawaii and getting much faster is more dependent on weather than pure athletic performance.

I don't know, but I am curious as in 1989 Mark Allen went 8:09. Pretty fast!

Have you seen the volume of training Allen put in?  It is sick! He is the man.

2011-03-23 11:42 AM

User image

Expert
Tulsa
I haven't heard anyone mention anything about the number of IM races these pro's are doing each year.  Back in the day they trained all year for Kona and that was pretty much their only IM.  I'm not saying that each pro isn't focused on Kona, but a lot of these pro's are racing 3-4 IM a year plus many many HIM's.  It's just a thought....Although i did hear one of the announcers state the same reason while commentating on one of the IM's.  I believe it may have been Paula.
2011-03-23 2:09 PM

User image

Champion
Fountain Hills, AZ
Back in the day the pro's may not have done as much IM distance racing but they were racing every weekend, Olympic to ITU long course, those cats raced like maniacs to make $.
2011-03-23 3:18 PM
in reply to: #3401975

User image

Veteran
Omaha, NE
JohnnyKay - 2011-03-17 10:55 AM

Many of the "best" athletes either don't do triathlon (they are siphoned off to other sports--e.g., swimming, cycling or running individually) or focus on things other than IM (like ITU racing).  So maybe it's just tough to get a good pool of candidates to drive steady improvement.

I was thinking this same thing a few months ago, but didn't post it.

If equipment is better, why aren't the times?

I would be willing to bet that overall, say if you take the top 100 times would be generally much better, how much, I don't know. Maybe average for top 100 would be 15 min faster, maybe more, maybe less.

But then you could ask, well maybe there are just more people than back then that are highly trained. That could be true too, maybe it was possible back then, but just not that many into it.

Lot's of variables, but I wonder too in the day of all the equipment, why not faster. Or when will we see the sub 8 at Kona.

The reason I quoted this part though is this may hold some truth, if I'm really good at one, I'm probably going to do that. But if I'm not, well say I'm only good enough to barely make the Olmpic swim team, or on of the pawns on the tour that is good, but not good enough to win, well I could do triathlon and do well there.

Here you have to be good at everything.

Anywho, back again to this quote, I wonder what the time would be if we had a relay event at Ironman's do like a world relay event, see the fastest open water swimmer/ time trialist/marathoner from each country team up and go head to head, what would the time be?

Swim 40.00?? not sure what a pure open water swim time would be

Bike 4.00 guessed on this too, but 28 mph, is that doable for a cyclist if there not worried about the swim and run, I think so.

Run 2.10

So relay of 7 hrs or so, I think it'd be cool to see.

2011-03-25 9:56 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran

Added to the graph the tenth place men's finisher and top female finisher:

im times

Two things I think this clarifies: 1. local conditions play a huge role in finishing times (from the parallel movements of the three lines). No surprise there. 2. Times for top athletes at Kona are not improving over the last 20 years.

So either the technological improvements of the last 20 years don't reduce times or do so so marginally that the effect is easily lost within year-to-year variation, or there's some counter-acting trend.... athletes are coming into Kona less fresh, the best athletes are less in IM racing than they used to be, conditions are worsening over time, some changing zeitgeist in IM training/racing is disadvantageous, or ???.

2011-03-25 5:30 PM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2011-03-25 6:17 PM
in reply to: #3413892

Champion
Montague Gold Mines, Nova Scotia
neweyes - 2011-03-25 11:56 AM

Times for top athletes at Kona are not improving over the last 20 years.

1) Kona is a bad example (at least on the men's side)
2) Take an average of the top 10/20/25 finishers for better results
3) Add a line (or curve) to model the data and include an r^2 value

Shane
2011-03-26 12:03 PM

Just from eyeballing the graph...

It looks to me like the avg. time for top ten men's finisher has been considrably faster the past five years compared to the previous 10.

Not that I'm asking anyone to do this, but a much better/more interesting study would be looking at the top 25 men's finishers at multiple ironman races over the past ten years.  This would be closer to the sample size you need to draw any significant conclusions.

2011-03-26 10:14 PM
in reply to: #3414882

Veteran

My .02.

1. The course was changed from Oahu to Kona in '82. Since then only minor changes which dont affect results.

2. Who cares about 10th place, 25th place, etc. Of course the field has more depth today. THere are probably 20 to 100x more people competing in tri's today so the athlete pool is much larger.

3. Sorry tekkies but technology is way overrated.

4. The conditions for 3 of the last  years have been some of the best ever at Kona so even that skews against the times for the athletes lately.

5. Nutrition is vital for Ironman on the day of the race but is way overrated on a daily basis.

6. I dont buy this tactical BS. Look at the last two years. Were they tactical? They laid it all out.

7. Finally, the main difference I see is the TRAINING. Those guys had much larger bases than the Pros of today which allowed them to race more at ALL distances. Pros today race MUCH LESS. Then the Pros used their races more for their interval and hard sessions and went easier during the week to recover. Like I said, just my .02.

2011-03-27 7:25 AM
in reply to: #3416071

Champion
kdlsch111 - 2011-03-27 12:14 AM

2. Who cares about 10th place, 25th place, etc. Of course the field has more depth today. THere are probably 20 to 100x more people competing in tri's today so the athlete pool is much larger.

If you want to find any type of trend, you would typically want to investigate more than just the winner's time.

3. Sorry tekkies but technology is way overrated.

Not sure why you believe this; if I can make smart equipment choices (tires, tubes, wheels, helmet, frame) and refine my position to save seconds per km, then how is that overrated. At race speeds it is quite possible for an athlete to save 5s/km. While that may not be important to some, it could be crucial to others.

6. I dont buy this tactical BS. Look at the last two years. Were they tactical? They laid it all out.

You are wrong; you don't think that in 2009 Crowie couldn't have gone faster on the bike or Lieto couldn't have run faster by dialing back the bike a little? You don't think except for the couple of guys who ride off the front or lead the pack that the athletes sitting in the legal pack couldn't ride faster and that they are all just equally matched so they sit the legal distance apart?

7. Finally, the main difference I see is the TRAINING. Those guys had much larger bases than the Pros of today which allowed them to race more at ALL distances. Pros today race MUCH LESS. Then the Pros used their races more for their interval and hard sessions and went easier during the week to recover.

So you are arguing that their training is worse, technology doesn't really matter and yet times have still dropped?

Shane

2011-03-27 7:59 AM
in reply to: #3416195

Veteran
What thread are you reading? The OP was making the point that WINNING times at Kona havent dropped since the mid 90's and I agree with others that technology and bikes, etc was overrated. I never said it wasnt better today than then. I simply brought up the point that the last two years werent tactical races but Crowie and Macca had to give everything they had to win, so their times were as fast as they could go. So, by what you say if Allen, Scott, etc had todays technology advances they would have been even faster which even makes it a greater divide. Todays Pros overall from 10 place and below are faster because there are 10 times more PRos who are racing than yesteryear, period, so of course the Pro and Agers have much more depth today. Pros in the 80's and 90's believed in much more volume while the last ten years or so there has been this major shift to lower volume and higher intensity. Therefore, in my opinion the difference in the winning times at Kona from then to now is their training methodology.
2011-03-27 8:11 AM
in reply to: #3416243

Champion
kdlsch111 - 2011-03-27 9:59 AM

The OP was making the point that WINNING times at Kona havent dropped since the mid 90's and I agree with others that technology and bikes, etc was overrated.

Actually, if you look at the title of the thread, it is about IM times, not Kona winning times. So, I suggested ways to consider a more representative sample than just the winning time.

I never said it wasnt better today than then. I simply brought up the point that the last two years werent tactical races but Crowie and Macca had to give everything they had to win, so their times were as fast as they could go.

How exactly were they not tactical races?

So, by what you say if Allen, Scott, etc had todays technology advances they would have been even faster which even makes it a greater divide.

Yes, I believe they would have been faster. However, they are clearly outliers which is why I suggested looking at more than just the winner's time. Also, even a quick glance at the first graph posted by the OP shows a downward trend in times.

Todays Pros overall from 10 place and below are faster because there are 10 times more PRos who are racing than yesteryear, period, so of course the Pro and Agers have much more depth today. Pros in the 80's and 90's believed in much more volume while the last ten years or so there has been this major shift to lower volume and higher intensity. Therefore, in my opinion the difference in the winning times at Kona from then to now is their training methodology.

What do you think would happen if the fastest triathletes were to focus on IM and Kona?

Shane
2011-03-30 11:49 AM
in reply to: #3416243

Expert
The Woodlands, TX

kdlsch111 - 2011-03-27 7:59 AM What thread are you reading? The OP was making the point that WINNING times at Kona havent dropped since the mid 90's and I agree with others that technology and bikes, etc was overrated. I never said it wasnt better today than then. I simply brought up the point that the last two years werent tactical races but Crowie and Macca had to give everything they had to win, so their times were as fast as they could go. So, by what you say if Allen, Scott, etc had todays technology advances they would have been even faster which even makes it a greater divide. Todays Pros overall from 10 place and below are faster because there are 10 times more PRos who are racing than yesteryear, period, so of course the Pro and Agers have much more depth today. Pros in the 80's and 90's believed in much more volume while the last ten years or so there has been this major shift to lower volume and higher intensity. Therefore, in my opinion the difference in the winning times at Kona from then to now is their training methodology.

I would tend to agree with some of this.

Kona has been tactical since at least '86, so to me that's pretty much a constant. = push

The main technology improvements happened in the late 80's and early '90's with aero bars, aero wheels, aero helmets and aero frames. There are a few things that have showed up since, but they are minor in comparison. Most of it is just refinement of old technology. I also agree that a good bit of the stuff we hear about now is painted up with a healthy dose of hype. = push

There's more pro's, more money and more specializing in distances than back then, which usually means that times begin to drop and crossing over is harder to do. = points to the current pros

Nutrition is supposed to be superior with all the companies out there, so jelly sandwiches and cold pizza are a thing of the past. = points to the current pros

The only thing left that I can think of is training. Everybody has an opinion on the 'best' way to train and since all of it and none of it can be proven by science, I'm not going to stir that pot. But I will stay that the volume reported back then versus the volume of training that the athletes are reporting now seem to be quite a bit different. If guys like Allen, Scott, Van Lierde, Hellrigel, Welch etc. could do those times with less money/nutrition/technology, it would lead me to believe that their training worked better.

2011-03-30 11:53 AM
in reply to: #3416253

Expert
The Woodlands, TX

gsmacleod - 2011-03-27 8:11 AM  What do you think would happen if the fastest triathletes were to focus on IM and Kona? Shane

You mean like if an ITU world champion and world cup points leader converted to race the Ironman distance and made it his focus? You'd get Macca

2011-03-31 8:42 PM

Victoria

As in every sport, some records will hold for decades.

Where is also the freak factor, every now and again someone special comes along. Even more than one at a time (which usually sucks for one)

I remember Dave Scott shaving over thirty minutes off his previous time simply by going on Nathan Pertikins 28 day diet.

I also think the phsychology of the race plays a part. For most of the competitors it's all about finishing or bettering a personal time. The amount of athletes that actually think they can win are very few.

Again however I believe it's just a matter of time before it all changes again. I know my attitude toward the race, even at 53 years, is all about putting in a time. I will have a time I plan on beating and I will either beat it or colapse trying. Finishing the race without a great time is a waste of my time, and my Ego's.

2011-04-01 5:52 AM
in reply to: #3421629

Champion
tjfry - 2011-03-30 1:53 PM

You mean like if an ITU world champion and world cup points leader converted to race the Ironman distance and made it his focus? You'd get Macca

While there are some one-off exmaples (like Macca) I was thinking more along the lines of when Mark Allen, Dave Scott et al were racing all distances and fast in every event. Instead of having a fast ITU athlete come over when they were on the decline in the ITU circuit, what would happen if the top ten ITU athletes all toed the line at Kona in one year.

Even the Raelert brothers who we've been hearing lots about, were never top tier ITU athletes; in the world class events they were mostly second pack athletes.

Shane
2011-04-01 6:32 AM
in reply to: #3424793

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2011-04-01 7:37 AM

Pro
Camp Hill, Pennsylvania
Somebody correct me if I'm wrong, but back in the day of Dave Scott, Mark Allen, and the Iron War didn't the athletes race mostly shorter distances throughout the year, and only really peak for Kona?  Today, the pros peak for Kona, but this is after they've tried to peak for several other HIM's and IM's throughout the year.  Does it limit their performance a little, because they need to race more often to earn a living?
2011-04-14 2:33 PM

Master
...at home in The ATL
Lance's 7:35 Kona finish is definitely going to add some downward trend to the graph.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Why aren't top IM times getting faster? Rss Feed  

of 2