General Discussion Triathlon Talk » When will the cravings stop? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2011-03-16 2:52 PM

User image

Veteran
Lewisville, nc
Subject: When will the cravings stop?
Jeez, I want a chili-dog!

I've been dabbling in Tri's for a few years now. Up until recently though, I've continued to give in to my very poor eating habits. I started the year at 226 lbs, and the day after the Super Bowl, decided to become a permanent resident of 'fit-camp', relocating from my present address at fat camp of almost 37 years. I'm now down to about 214.

Things couldn't be going better honestly. I've been losing weight steadily since then - anywhere from 1.6 - 2lbs each week. Every Saturday morning, I'm thrilled with what the scale says. I've been very consistent with exercise. I've been VERY careful with my diet. I keep track of exactly what goes in (eating very healthy), and as close as I can to what comes out (calories). I've been feeling great, both general health-wise, and even better so, the way I feel about myself. I've been sleeping better, AND had a ton more energy.

So what's the problem then you ask? DANG IT, I WANT SOME $%@#$% NACHO'S!! I want some wings... and some beer! I want a freakin' cookie!

If you're thinking "you need a cheat day"... well, I have that. On the weekends, I loosen the dietary constraints a little. I do eat some things that I know don't help too much, but I figure it's probably good overall. I keep hoping that this will satisfy that itch that I just can't scratch and keep me from wanting those foods all the time.

Is it doing just the opposite?

One thing that I've noticed WAAAAY more than ever before is how we're absolutely BOMBARDED with messages that tell us to eat... and not good stuff. I can't tell you how many nights I sit down to relax and see endless commercials for Applebees featuring warm pasta and cheese sauces, Pizza hut (yes, gross, but the pictures look good), Olive Garden, etc. Combine this with bill boards, magazine articles, food shows, etc.... SHEESH!

Most of the day, I feel pretty good. I eat about 5 times. I have a protein shake for breakfast, a small portion of oatmeal later in the morning. A second workout is followed by lunch (lean meat sdwch on wheat roll, apple, grapes), and 2 small afternoon snacks (Greek Yogurt and vegetables) before a dinner of chicken, steamed veges and brown rice. It's usually late afternoons and especially weekends when I get these junk food cravings the worst.

It's been about 6 weeks now. Somebody tell me that they go away sooner than later.... anybody??? "Fit camp is a much nicer place to be for a million reasons, but the food is WAY better at 'fat camp'.

2011-03-16 7:52 PM
in reply to: #3400751

User image

Extreme Veteran
Springfield, OH
Subject: RE: When will the cravings stop?

scoli121 - 2011-03-16 3:52 PM If you're thinking "you need a cheat day"... well, I have that. On the weekends, I loosen the dietary constraints a little. I do eat some things that I know don't help too much, but I figure it's probably good overall. I keep hoping that this will satisfy that itch that I just can't scratch and keep me from wanting those foods all the time. Is it doing just the opposite?

Congrats on what you've managed so far.  Instead of limiting your "cheating" to the weekends, spread it out during the week.  That'll help tamp down the cravings between the weekends.  I'm still working on it myself, but I find if I try to eat perfect for too long, I just end up going crazy after 5 or 6 days.  So instead, I'll just let myself have a little something extra here or there during the week, and then I'm not tempted to completely overdo it.

I had a good moment today.  I had to run home over lunch to pick up something from the house (20 min each way).  It was very tempting to just pull in and grab a ton of fast food instead of waiting until I got back to the office to eat the sandwich I had packed.  I fought off the urge to eat an extra 1500 calories I didn't need and made it just fine back to the office.  Rewarded myself with a great bike ride in this warm weather (which may not have gone so well had I eaten like crap at lunch time).

2011-03-17 10:38 AM

User image

Veteran
Lewisville, nc
I appreciate the compliment. I'm a little afraid to 'let loose' though. I'm afraid if I give in once, it'll become twice, and then a third and so on... That's how it all starts. Maybe I just haven't given it long enough. I remember some celebrity (don't remember who it was) a long time ago said "nothing tastes as good as being thin feels". I guess I'll just have to keep that in mind.
2011-03-17 12:37 PM
in reply to: #3401943

User image

Master
Toronto
Bronze member

scoli121 - 2011-03-17 11:38 AM I appreciate the compliment. I'm a little afraid to 'let loose' though. I'm afraid if I give in once, it'll become twice, and then a third and so on... That's how it all starts. Maybe I just haven't given it long enough. I remember some celebrity (don't remember who it was) a long time ago said "nothing tastes as good as being thin feels". I guess I'll just have to keep that in mind.

Kate Moss said that and you definitely don't want to be like her! Yikes!

Honestly, you totally remind me of a friend who was just like that and it took so much joy out of her life. Food and eating are essential but also gives us so much - opportunities to socialize, celebrate.  She just felt like it was all or nothing - and was terrified.  But this is a whole life change. Aim to eat well 80% of the time and forgive yourself the for other 20%. 

As the poster above said, eventually, you'll start automatically choosing the healthier option because you know it makes you feel better and the junk makes you feel worse.  Sometime the cheeseburger or nachos still win but again, you'll go back to the more healthful food. You can't find me a fitness nut on this board who doesn't indulge every so often (or regularly) so you can't tell me that the cravings ever go away.

2011-03-25 9:21 PM

User image

Champion
Northridge, California

Okay...six years into maintenance after losing 75 lbs (240 to 165) in my late 40s here.  Second go-'round on major weight loss after losing 60 lbs in my late 20s...and putting it all back on and more.  So I've seen success and seen the big rebound.  One major life lesson I took away from all of it as far as my sugar cravings and staying fit long term...

Alcoholics committed to recovery don't talk about "cheat days."  Just saying.

The amount of denial and self-sabotage I see and have seen in the alcoholics in my life frankly often pales in comparison with the denial mechanisms in place for chronically obese people...including me before I finally took a good hard look at what food is and isn't.  The cravings never go away in my case, but I'm 100% committed to "one day at a time"...renewing a commitment to conscious and healthier eating every single day...and that helps me stay focused on the things that are really important in life.  (And, no, triathlon isn't one of them...but then again neither is mindless indulgence in habitual "comfort foods.")

Good luck...just because it might not get easier doesn't mean it isn't worth the commitment.

2011-03-29 7:55 AM
in reply to: #3402176

User image

Veteran
Lewisville, nc
I pretty much despise celebreties... definitely don't want to be like her, I just remember the comment. Not sure, but I think I read it in a Men's Health mag of all places.

Anyway, I think you're kind of right. I do feel like its all or nothing. I've been a little over weight for most of my life, and and I do feel as though I'm either going to do it, or I'm not. I can't begin to tell you how many down hill slides started with a single oreo!

At any rate, its all good. I'm down 15 lbs so far in 7 weeks, and still crankin' away. Cravings are just that - cravings. It's not worth throwing away what I've gained (actually, in this case "lost") so far. Just waiting for those cravings to go away.

2011-03-29 8:00 AM
in reply to: #3415041

User image

Veteran
Lewisville, nc
tcovert - 2011-03-25 10:21 PM

Alcoholics committed to recovery don't talk about "cheat days."  Just saying....

I couldn't agree more. It's actually kind've funny that you'd use that analogy. I've used it before to describe my inability to control myself around food. I also think you're right in that it's just a day at a time.

As time goes on, I find myself thinking about all that I've gained (lost) over the past 7 weeks. I take in to account how much better I look and feel before I consider reaching for something I know I shouldn't have. I'm doing much better all around.

Again, cravings are just that - cravings. We all have the ability to choose whether we will give in to them or not.

2011-03-29 10:56 AM

User image

Toronto-ish

Scoli, I hear ya man. I don't believe the cravings will ever stop, unfortunately. They're just something we have to live with.

There are reportedly some mechanisms in the body that an help us trick it, somewhat. They say eating greens (salads, asparagus, etc.) can help deal with a craving for chocolate. It sounded absolutely nuts to me but as a sugarholic I was willing to give it a shot and have to say it appears to work, and rather well.

Not sure what would balance out a chili-dog craving, but you might just be able to find one somewhere (and market it and grow rich).

Perhaps every time you have to make the choice, do ya want a death dog or "feeling great, both general health-wise, and even better so, the way I feel about myself. I've been sleeping better, AND had a ton more energy."

It sounds like you've been doin that, and well, and you have my absolute congratulations on your accomplishments.

2011-03-29 12:13 PM

User image

Fort Walton Beach

I put on 15 lbs due to changes in my mid-40's. I also get more tired than I used to and found myself cheating more often.  I started taking some digetive enzymes and was suprised to find that my cravings really dissipated. It may be a coincidence, but I am loving it. I had to cut my calories back quite a bit as my metabolic rate just seems to have slowed down. I kept joking about chewing my arm off in my sleep!   I also agree, though, that you have to let go a little at least once a week.  Just don't go totally nuts when you do it.  We hit our favorite burrito place once a week.

2011-03-30 4:31 PM
in reply to: #3419318

User image

Extreme Veteran
scoli121 - 2011-03-29 8:00 AM
tcovert - 2011-03-25 10:21 PM

Alcoholics committed to recovery don't talk about "cheat days."  Just saying....

I couldn't agree more. It's actually kind've funny that you'd use that analogy. I've used it before to describe my inability to control myself around food.

X3.  Food addiction is quite common and just as dangerous as alcohol.  I've dealt with the food cravings by not letting it be an option to cave.  Yes, I still did cave a few times.  But I got back on by reminding myself that those foods are simply not available to me, just as a recovering alcoholic knows that alcohol is no longer an option.

Now that I am in maintenance I do allow more leeway.  And guess what, I get more cravings!

It also helped that I was doing a lot of strength and cardio training that kicked my butt, and I got a new appreciation for what calories - i.e. energy - actually cost.  Now the s/b/r training continues to drive that lesson home.  I can blow a week's workouts in one "live it up" day.

2011-03-30 5:32 PM
in reply to: #3415041

Sydney Australia
Subject:

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » When will the cravings stop? Rss Feed