General Discussion Triathlon Talk » late hills vs negative split...run training Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2011-03-16 11:35 PM

User image

Veteran
Fayetteville, AR
Subject: late hills vs negative split...run training

hey everyone, question about run training.  

Most of my weekly shorter runs origninate from home.  Due to living near some crazy traffic, i take the safest route, which includes 2 pretty killer hills that are both within 1.5 miles from my place.  

Now i know that negative split training is good, and I TRY to do that on my longer weekend runs when i can do them on different routes.  But with those hills on the way back, I have a hard time getting that negative split due to having to slow my pace without letting my heart beat out of my chest.  

So my question is, should i try to look for a different route that will allow me to up the pace at the end of my shorter runs, or does the hill work at then end serve the same general purpose (finishing strong)?  I am glad to say that last season i never really got to the point where i could finish both the hills running, but this year i have been able to kick through them and keep running to the top.  

2011-03-17 1:01 AM
in reply to: #3401362

Subject: RE: late hills vs negative split...run training

Keep the hills.  Think of negative splitting in terms of effort as opposed to speed. 

2011-03-17 1:08 AM
in reply to: #3401362

User image

New user
Santa Rosa, Ca
Subject: RE: late hills vs negative split...run training

keep the hills, they will make you stronger physically...but more importantly mentally.  I have the same problem biking frim my place.  I have to climb 700 ft on most rides coming back home to my house.  Im tired and i just want to cruise into my gatage, but i always have a tough 5 miles to finish up.  Mentally it gets me ready for race day!

On you longer runs work on negative splits.  Keep up the good work!

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » late hills vs negative split...run training Rss Feed